2016 MLB thread. THE CUBS HAVE BROKEN THE CURSE! Chicago Cubs are your 2016 World Series champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Dex Fowler, who apparently signed with Baltimore a few days ago just visited the Cubs at spring training....as a Cub!! Hes back!!!!!

Fowler left a guaranteed $22mil on the table to come back to the Chi! He came onto the field with Theo and Jed. No one but them 3 knew he had re-signed. Montero was pissed that Fowler left, and couldnt believe it. Wow!!

Last edited:
Yea I'm definitely interested to hear how the whole Orioles agreement thing got messed up so widely
I wonder if it was the physical. O's have a history of signing guys and then the deal falling through because of that. Sounds like the physical is why they restructured Gallardo's deal.

From what im hearing, Fowler just had a change of heart. Cubs FO meeting the media now. Either way, Cubs have even more depth now and can potentially trade for a young controllable arm later.

Straight up, I wouldn't trade Soler or Baez just to open up a spot for Fowler as an everyday player. He's a slightly above average player. I guess they could do this if they get a great starter and Almora is almost ready and the real deal.

Bruce Levine ‎@MLBBruceLevine

Breaking-Source -Baltimore deal fell through when Dexter Fowler insisted on early opt out

Not worth losing a 1st round pick on a guy who was most likely gonna bolt after his only season in Baltimore.

Time to turn their attention to Pedro Alvarez.

Only thing I'm mostly bummed about is that Manny is going to have to bat leadoff again. :smh:

*edit*

Jon Heyman
[emoji]10004[/emoji]
‎@JonHeyman

there was no fowler agreement with orioles, both sides say now. unusual to take $13M over $33M but nothing wrong with it.

Someone messed up w/ their reporting....

Last edited:
"MLB/MLBPA announce new slide rule (runner must make attempt to reach and remain on base) and 30-second mound visit clock."

"Also, the "neighborhood play" at second base will now be reviewable. Infielders aren't going to like that."

From Mark Zuckerman's Twitter.

I really hope the language of this new rule is more specific than this.  I hate when leagues make new rules that are vaguely worded, which leaves a ton of room for interpretation.

1. begins his slide (i.e., makes contact with the ground) before reaching the base;

2. is able and attempts to reach the base with his hand or foot;

3. is able and attempts to remain on the base (except home plate) after completion of the slide; and

4. slides within reach of the base without changing his pathway for the purpose of initiating contact with a fielder.

Seems pretty clear to me. No more sliding after you get to the bag like Odor. No more sliding 5 feet to the right like every other player does in the league. Most of the dirty slides are so easy to spot that I dont think we'll have many issues with it.

Not worth losing a 1st round pick on a guy who was most likely gonna bolt after his only season in Baltimore.

Only thing I'm mostly bummed about is that Manny is going to have to bat leadoff again. :smh:

*edit*
Since they signed Gallardo their 1st round pick was already gone. 14th overall. Considering the pitching depth it was probably worth it.

*edit*
Since they signed Gallardo their 1st round pick was already gone. 14th overall. Considering the pitching depth it was probably worth it.

We also had the 28th overall as well. That was the pick attached to the potential Fowler signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom