2016 MLB thread. THE CUBS HAVE BROKEN THE CURSE! Chicago Cubs are your 2016 World Series champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greinke has been awesome this year, no doubt. He's definitely going to be opting out and trying to get Scherzer years/money.

But, IMO, there's like 6 guys fighting for second place. Kershaw's stats just trump them all.

The stats are just not going to post the way I want them despite spending 10 minutes thinking I had it spaced out correctly :lol:

I miss the old site.

Today in Baseball History
September 2nd​

1920 William G. Harding, who will be elected as the next president of the United States, throws three pitches for the Kerrigan Tailors, a semi-pro team, in an exhibition game played against the Cubs. The contest, in which the Giants, Reds, and Indians declined to be participants, was arranged in the presidential candidate's hometown to make him more appealing to the masses.

1939 When Babe Dahlgren strikes out while being given an intentional walk and George Selkirk and Joe Gordon try to steal home on successive pitches by trotting to the plate, Red Sox fans throw a barrage of garbage onto the playing field at Fenway Park to protest the Yankees making deliberate outs to take advantage of the 6:30 Sunday curfew. Umpire Cal Hubbard rules the action of the Boston crowd makes it impossible to continue the game and forfeits the game to New York, giving the Bronx Bombers a 9-0 'official' victory .

1952 In his major league debut, Washington's Miguel Fornieles tosses a one-hitter, beating the visiting A's at Griffith Stadium, 5-0. The Senators' 20 year-old rookie right-hander, who will be traded to the White Sox in the offseason for Chuck Stobbs, finishes the season with a 2-2 record, posting an ERA of 1.37 in four games.

1955 In the second inning Cubs' 12-2 rout of St. Louis at Wrigley Field, Ernie Banks sets the record for home runs hit by a shortstop when he hits a two-run, two-out shot off Redbird southpaw Paul LaPalme for his 40th round-tripper. 'Mr. Cub' will extend the mark to 44 homers this season and will boost the total to 48 in 1958.

1957 At Wrigley Field, the Braves sweep the Cubs, 23-10 and 4-0. In the opener, Frank Torre crosses the plate in the first, second, third, fourth, sixth and ninth innings, tying a major league record by scoring six times in one game.

1960 Ted Williams homers off Senator right-hander Don Lee in the eighth inning of the Red Sox's 5-1 victory over Washington at Fenway Park. As a rookie in 1939, the Boston outfielder also went deep off Lee's dad, Thornton.

1962 Stan Musial, with a ninth-inning pinch-hit single in the Cardinals’ 4-3 loss to New York at Busch Stadium, moves past Tris Speaker on the all-time hits list into second place with his 3‚516th hit. ’Stan the Man’, who will finish his career with a total of 3630, will remain far behind Ty Cobb's total of 4191 and will be eventually surpassed by Pete Rose (4256) and Hank Aaron (3771).

1965 Cubs first baseman Ernie Banks hits his 400th career home run, a three-run round-tripper off Cardinal hurler Curt Simmons in the third-inning, helping Chicago to defeat St. Louis at Wrigley Field, 5-3. 'Mr. Cub' will finish his 19-year career with 512 home runs, including 277 home runs stroked as a shortstop, the record at the time of his retirement.

1965 In anticipation of the team's move to Anaheim next year, owner Gene Autry announces the Los Angeles Angels will now known as the California Angels effective today, becoming the second major league team to be named after an entire state. The franchise, the first to change its moniker during the season, will eventually use a logo that incorporates an image of the Golden State, along with the team's iconic halo.

1965 During a pregame ceremony at Shea Stadium, the Mets retire Casey Stengel's uniform number 37. The team's first manager, who decided to retire shortly after fracturing his hip at the end of July, compiled a 175-404 record with the expansion team, never finishing higher than in last place.

1969 Willie Davis, with his sixth-inning double in the team's 5-4 loss to New York at Dodger Stadium, breaks a 53 year-old franchise record by hitting safely in thirty consecutive games. The LA outfielder surpasses the streak established by Zack Wheat in 1916 when the team played in Brooklyn.

1971 Cesar Cedeno hits an inside-the-park grand slam when Dodger second baseman Jim Lefebvre and right fielder Bill Buckner collide, trying to make the fifth inning catch. The 200-foot dropped bloop contributes to the Astros' 9-3 victory over LA at the Astrodome.

1972 Cubs starter Milt Pappas, after retiring twenty-six consecutive batters, walks Larry Stahl on a 3-2 pitch, losing a bid for a perfect game. 'Gimpy' retires the next batter, Gary Jestadt, to preserve his 8-0 no-hitter against the Padres at Wrigley Field.

1972 Coming to bat in the top of the eighth inning trailing 8-0, the Mets score seven runs and add another four tallies in the ninth to stun the Astros, 11-8. The come-from-behind victory is the Amazins' biggest comeback in franchise history.

1972 Roberto Clemente, with his 2,971st hit in a Pirates uniform, breaks Honus Wagner's record for the most hits in the history of the franchise. The historic blow is a three-run homer off San Francisco hurler Sam McDowell in the bottom of the fourth inning in an eventual 6-3 victory for the Bucs at Three Rivers Stadium.

1972 In his major league debut, Doug Rau throws a three-hitter, beating St. Louis at Busch Stadium, 5-1. In his first big-league at-bat, the 23 year-old Dodger southpaw helps his cause with a RBI-triple in the second inning.

1972 Dave Downs throws a complete game shutout in his first major league appearance, blanking the Braves, 3-0, in the nightcap of a twin bill at Atlanta Stadium. The 20 year-old Phillies' right-hander will never win another major league game when he develops a sore arm caused by tendonitis.

1973 On the last day of his three-day suspension for ordering pitchers to throw spitballs, Billy Martin is fired as the Tigers' skipper, after serving three stormy seasons in the Detroit dugout. Jim Campbell, the team's general manager, announces the dismissal was made “for the good of the organization” with the recent incident being a contributing factor, but not the sole reason for releasing his manager.

1975 Johnny LeMaster becomes the first player to hit an inside-the-park home run in his first major league at bat. The Giants shortstop's dash around the bases comes off Don Sutton in a 7-3 win over LA at Candlestick Park.

1985 The A's Jose Canseco strikes out in his first major league at-bat. During his 17 seasons in the major leagues, the slugger will be struck out 1,942 times en route to hitting 462 home runs.

1986 The Astros and Cubs use a major league record 53 players in the game. Billy Hatcher's home run off Greg Maddux in the top of the 18th inning is the difference in Houston's 8-7 victory at Wrigley Field.

1987 Kevin Bass becomes the first National Leaguer to homer from both sides of the plate twice in one season when he goes deep twice in Astros' 10-1 rout of the Chicago at the Astrodome. The Houston right fielder also accomplish the last month against San Francisco.

1990 Dave Stieb pitches the major league record ninth no-hitter of the season, beating the Indians 3-0. Previously, the Blue Jay right-hander had lost three no-hit bids after two outs were recorded in the ninth.

1993 The Rockies, drawing a crowd 47,699 for their 62nd home game, surpass the 1982 Dodgers when the team attracts 3,617,863 fans to Denver's Mile High Stadium, setting a new National League single-season attendance record. The expansion club will also break the 1992 Blue Jays' major league mark of 4,028,318 before the season is over.

1996 After his operation in May to remove an aneurysm in his pitching arm, David Cone makes a dramatic return to the mound when he hurls seven innings of no-hit ball. The Mariano Rivera gives up the opponent's only hit, an one-out single in the ninth inning by Jose Herrera, in the Yankees' 5-0 victory over the A's at Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum.

1996 Mike Greenwell beats the Mariners single-handedly, driving in all nine runs in the Red Sox' 9-8 victory over Seattle at the Kingdome. Boston's right fielder knocks in the decisive run with a 10th-inning single.

1998 At Pro Player Stadium, Cardinal slugging first baseman Mark McGwire hits his 58th and 59th home runs of the season, surpassing Jimmie Foxx, who blasted 58 for the A's in 1932 and Hank Greenberg, who also accomplish the feat six years later with the Tigers.

1998 Slammin' Sammy Sosa hits his 56th homer to tie Hack Wilson's 68 year-old club record. The right-fielder's solo round-tripper in the sixth inning off Jason Bere contributes to the Cubs' 4-2 victory over Cincinnati.

1998 Nomar Garciaparra's ninth-inning grand slam gives the Red Sox a 7-3 win over the Mariners. Boston's slugging shortstop joins Mark McGwire as one of only five players to hit 30 homers in each of his first two seasons.

1998 Kent Mercker hits his only career home run, a grand slam, and also picks up the win in the Redbirds' 14-4 rout of the Marlins at Dolphin Stadium. It will be the only career homer hit by the Cardinals' left-hander in his 18-year tenure in the major leagues.

1999 Setting off a very enthusiastic ovation at Camden Yards, Cal Ripken, Jr. becomes the 29th major leaguer to hit 400 career home runs. The Oriole third baseman connects off Devil Rays' right-hander Rolando Arrojo.

2000 Elvis Pena becomes the first person named Elvis to appear in a major league game. The 23 year-old Dominican infielder, in his debut for the Rockies, strikes out swinging as a pinch hitter in the ninth inning in Colorado's 8-3 loss to Milwaukee at Coors Field.

2001 With two outs and two strikes, Red Sox pinch hitter Carl Everett singles in the bottom of the ninth to break up Mike Mussina's bid for a perfect game. The Yankee right-hander beats Boston 1-0 for his fourth career one-hitter.

2001 For the first time in major league history, four games are completed on the same day with only one run scoring in the contest. The Yankees, Padres, Astros and Blue Jays beat their respective opponents Red Sox, Diamondbacks, Brewers and Tigers, 1-0.

2003 In an effort to make the perception of the team younger and hipper, the Blue Jays unveiled their fourth logo in the franchise's 27-year history. The new look for the 2004 season adds black and silver trimming to a newly stylized bird while eliminating the red maple leaf backdrop and the word Blue.

2006 At Tropicana Field, the Devil Rays' second triple play in franchise history is the first ever in the annals of the game in which the ball never touched the bat. The 2-6-2 triple killing occurs when Raul Ibanez strikes out on a 3-2 pitch, then Adrian Beltre is thrown out attempting to steal second by catcher Dioner Navarro, with shortstop Ben Zobrist returning the ball to the plate to nail Jose Lopez trying to score from third.

2006 Joining Jeremy Hermida (Marlins, 2005) and Bill Duggleby (Phillies, 1898), Kevin Kouzmanoff becomes the third player in major league history to hit a grand slam in his first career at bat. The Indians' 25 year-old DH, filling in for the injured Travis Hafner, who hit six bases-juiced homers this season, tying a major league record, is the first person to accomplish the feat on the first pitch he ever sees in the big leagues.

2006 The Pirates extend their franchise record consecutive losing season streak to 14 as the club drops their 82nd game of the season to Chris Carpenter and the Cardinals, 3-1. The 1933-1948 Phillies own the big league mark, finishing with a losing record for 16 straight seasons.

2008 New York starter Jonathon Niese, who was born on the day the Mets won their last World Championship, makes his major league debut against the Brewers in Miller Park. On his second pitch of the game, the 21 year-old southpaw gives up a home run to Rickie Weeks, making the him the first rookie in franchise history to yield a home run to the initial batter he faces in his career.

After Kershaw's slow start he's been so dominant. Four guys could get it this year: Greinke, Arrieta, Kershaw and deGrom

Greinke has been awesome this year, no doubt. He's definitely going to be opting out and trying to get Scherzer years/money.

But, IMO, there's like 6 guys fighting for second place. Kershaw's stats just trump them all.

The stats are just not going to post the way I want them despite spending 10 minutes thinking I had it spaced out correctly :lol:

I miss the old site.

It's ridiculous to see what these guys are doing this year.

It's ridiculous to see what Kershaw has been doing after his slow start.

The only reason I keep my MLBtv app sub, the condensed game feature where I see their starts the next day.

i think it's gonna be Keuchel & Greinke...
Sonny Gray deserves some love as well. but yeah, either him or Keuchel.

Right now, I'd have to say Sale. Another guy just destroying almost everything right now. He's K'ing 12.11 per 9. I don't think anyone has been that dominant since Randy in 00/01. I think Darvish may have been the only one sniffing 11.5. Sale's just getting killed by Minnesota & a horrible defense. His ERA & FIP are a run apart.

I think Keuchel/Sale/Archer/Price all have a shot with Kluber/Gray/Carrasco behind that batch.

Sale's had a few blowups but other than those 3 starts, he's been electric. And even in those blow ups, he still strikes out at least 8 guys :lol:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2...erformance-in-his-quest-to-get-himself-fired/

roll.gif

"It’s like watching a car crash. Wait, that’s not quite right. A car crash happens quickly and, in the moment, there’s a sense that you can’t do anything to stop it, so that’s not it."

"Right before Moss hit the home run, the Cardinal announcer said that when Jansen throws more than 18 pitches his ERA is over 11.

Then on his 21st pitch, 3 run homer."

This is a comment from that article^^^ 
laugh.gif

I know I shouldn't hate anyone I don't know or hate anyone in general, but I think I hate Matt Williams. He's a moron. Nothing he does makes any sense.

"The Nats are not a bad team as we tend to think of bad teams. They just have a bad manager. A bad manager who will be looking for a job soon. As soon as early this afternoon if I or anyone with anything approaching a sense of urgency was running the Washington Nationals."

Pretty much this. Too bad Rizzo and Williams are probably slapping ***** in the clubhouse.

Last edited:
Janssen threw 48 pitches the last two games and surrendered 7 runs. Williams is an absolute idiot. Rizzo is at fault here too for thinking Janssen was a viable replacement for Tyler Clippard.

Sale's ERA is nothing to write home about though

Don't use that though, use FIP. It shows the true talent of the pitcher because it strips out the impact of defense, luck and includes a league average BABIP. So, Chicago has the worst defense in the league by far, which balloons his ERA over 3. His FIP is 2.31, which is 2nd to Kershaw. Same thing is happening to Kluber. His ERA is up there but that's because Cleveland's defense was so bad before Lindor got called up.

If these guys pitched in front of the Royals, who have the best defense by miles, they'd be under 1 ERA guys.

Sale would have pitched multiple no hitters this season on KC or Tampa.

Whole Sox team is a joke on both sides but at least they hit a little bit better lately.

I find it sad that people blame Ventura for the White Sox. Hahn assembled the biggest fool's gold, analytically incorrect roster in baseball.

They got the second best pitcher in baseball, another future ace and a star in Abreu.

All going to go to waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom