2017 NBA Playoffs Thread - CLE @ BOS Game 5 on TNT

Status
Not open for further replies.
jimmy makeing 43 mill a year..... thats whats wrong with the nba.......... i think in the 20's should be the maximum you give these players.... with a handful of players making 30...... nba just giving out money

how much money can it sign for next offseason?

I never understood comments like this. Why does it matter to you how much the player is getting paid? None of that money is coming out of your pockets, so why does it matter? It's either going to the players that actually provide the product on the court or to the greedy owners, I prefer the first part.

I'm all for players getting as much money as they can. It's a great time to be alive for an all-NBA player

I never understood comments like this. Why does it matter to you how much the player is getting paid? None of that money is coming out of your pockets, so why does it matter? It's either going to the players that actually provide the product on the court or to the greedy owners, I prefer the first part.

I'm all for players getting as much money as they can. It's a great time to be alive for an all-NBA player
His comment makes no sense.  In terms of actual economics, players at the top level are making wayyy more money for their teams than their salaries, to the extent that they are largely underpaid.  

Also how is that "this is what's wrong with the NBA".  How does it negatively impact the product at all?

Last edited:
Nah, it was more than love of the game. There used to be serious talent coming out NYC. Street legends used to give pros game in summer leagues. The Garden is often referred to as the Mecca.
I know where the title comes from.  But NY talent has never really been better than the rest at the professional level.  Love of basketball is in the blood of NYC.  I feel that's more true at its core than the actual talent level of the streetball legends.  TBH a lot of those guys were built up by hype as a function of the popularity of bball here.
N.Y. talent was better than other parts of the country when the term was coined. The 70s was proboby the last time it was true though. Cats likes Dr J and Wilt came to MY to prove they were legit. You regularly had NYers on AS teams and getting elected in the Hall of Fame.

N.Y. talent was better than other parts of the country when the term was coined. The 70s was proboby the last time it was true though. Cats likes Dr J and Wilt came to MY to prove they were legit. You regularly had NYers on AS teams and getting elected in the Hall of Fame.
There was some video I saw recently of Dr. J playing at Rucker.  Was incredible.  I forget if it was a youtube vid or part of a doc.

Coincidentally I spoke with Dr. J yesterday and asked who thinks is winning the championship and he said Cleveland

There was some video I saw recently of Dr. J playing at Rucker.  Was incredible.  I forget if it was a youtube vid or part of a doc.
Joe Hammond got drafted by the Lakers having never even played hs basketball. The hype says he showed up to the Rucker at halftime and have Dr J 50. N.Y. basketball def used to be a presence in the league and college.

My grandpa looks EXACTLY like Dr. J. I remember one time on vaca someone came up to him asking for an autograph and he signed it we were both 
roll.gif

Im debating whether I love going to the games or watching at home. 

I'll go to the games if I am sitting in the 200 levels or lower. Attending the games are pretty fun and it goes by REALLY quick. I"ve been drunk, high and hungry there, and I spend enough money there to have a good experience. I enjoy it. Just observing how huge these guys are in life and how quick they are and how easily they make these moves look, it's great. 

400 levels, nah. 

I'll stay at home and enjoy the tv views. Which is fine. 

well...

he hasnt shot below 40% in the playoffs since 2013 and he is shooting 45% from 3 in this playoffs. he shot 38% this year during the regular season and over 44% last year.

by comparison, steph curry, who is elite of elite shooters is shooting 43% from 3 in these playoffs

so, if kawhi isnt an elite 3 point shooter, he is as close as a player can be to one

Lets not play this game FG% only tells a part of the story your better then that. Steph is known an elite sharpshooter because he can knock the open shot and still get it off the dribble. We are getting away from my initial point which was around Giannis continuing to work the midrange game before just jumping to 3

You think working with the best shooting coach in the league wouldn't make him elite?

He's an elite shooter from everywhere on the court, free throw line included.

Lets not act like Kawhi was a big time scorer at SDSU and when he came in the league, he was ablte to build off of a solid midrange game that he was able to extend to the 3

Love how guys just live in the now but ignore all the work and development that took place.

Kawhi is dangerous because he can consistently knock down a midrange jumper and finishwith authority at the rack. I can garuantee guys are not crowding him with the intention of getting him off the 3 point line

Again I will ask the question do either of you play ball at all?

Charles Barkley wasnt wrong about stat guys :rofl:

Last edited:
Lets not play this game FG% only tells a part of the story your better then that. Steph is known an elite sharpshooter because he can knock the open shot and still get it off the dribble.

you're

kawhi leonard is not playing off of anyone anymore. alot of his shots or actions come off dribble and PnR situations.

i dont know anything about the giannis conversation so i wont speak on it.

but, 3 point % is exactly the point. when you decide to shoot a 3, how likely are you to make it? not saying that kawhi is a better shooter than player A or player B...but what constitutes an elite 3 point shooter? how can you not consider KL an elite 3 point shooter when he finished 3rd in 3pt % last year and is tops (or close to it) this year in the playoffs?

a 3 is worth 3 points regardless if it comes after a few fancy dribbles, leaning to the side, off balance with a defender in your face...or...if you are standing there wide open with a pass coming to you in pocket.

just like a dunk is worth 2 points if you perform a standing 2 hand dunk or a 360 from the free throw line.

kawhi leonard has made himself into one of the top 3pt shooters in the NBA. if that doesnt make him an elite level marksman...not sure what does.

is klay thompson not an elite 3 point shooter because most of his shots are on catch and shoot opportunities?

Last edited:
you're

kawhi leonard is not playing off of anyone anymore. alot of his shots or actions come off dribble and PnR situations.

i dont know anything about the giannis conversation so i wont speak on it.

but, 3 point % is exactly the point. when you decide to shoot a 3, how likely are you to make it? not saying that kawhi is a better shooter than player A or player B...but what constitutes an elite 3 point shooter? how can you not consider KL an elite 3 point shooter when he finished 3rd in 3pt % last year and is tops this year in the playoffs?

a 3 is worth 3 points regardless if it comes after a few fancy dribbles, leaning to the side, off balance with a defender in your face...or...if you are standing there wide open with a pass coming to you in pocket.

just like a dunk is worth 2 points if you perform a standing 2 hand dunk or a 360 from the free throw line.

kawhi leonard has made himself into one of the top 3pt shooters in the NBA. if that doesnt make him an elite level marksman...not sure what does.

I guarantee that any coach out there coaching against Kawhi is not going to put keep him off the 3 point line in the scouting report. I can promise that is not the game plan for him alone.

But again this back and forth literally came from what was being discussed about Giannis improving as a player and working on the midrange and building to the 3. Which is why I mentioned Kawhi in the first place as an example by saying he solidified the midrange before he developed the 3 ball and worked his way into being the player he is .

You are coming into a back and forth blind with no reference point for why the back and forth is happening. You might've made a better point

KL is a great player there is no denying that.

Zaza and draymond both don't play clean basketball at all.
Draymond with his illegal screens and kicks. Zaza also ibtentonally elbowed Westbrook earlier this season.

I guess fans are becoming soft just like the new generation, heaven forbid you watch a game from the 80s and early 90's

You mustve really hated the Bad Boys back in the day

I guarantee that any coach out there coaching against Kawhi is not going to put keep him off the 3 point line in the scouting report. I can promise that is not the game plan for him alone.

But again this back and forth literally came from what was being discussed about Giannis improving as a player and working on the midrange and building to the 3. Which is why I mentioned Kawhi in the first place as an example by saying he solidified the midrange before he developed the 3 ball and worked his way into being the player he is .

You are coming into a back and forth blind with no reference point for why the back and forth is happening. You might've made a better point

KL is a great player there is no denying that.

You're right. My response was out of context.

But your definition of what an elite shooter is vs. Otherwise is hogwash. Larry bird must not be an elite shooter because he wasn't creative off the dribble either.

Any coach that doesn't emphasize playing kawhi Leonard tight and honest is in for a long night.

Last edited:
He's an efficient 3 level scorer. I'd rather he take contested pull up jumpers than wide open threes.

But to keep it funky, I'd try to make him a playmaker or a volume dribbler.

As far as Giannis goes, he's going to get a cushion every time. He jumper is slow him shooting from 18 ft with a late contest is going to drop his percentages. He shouldn't be passing up open 3s to shoot with hand in his face. Especially off of a lazy dribble. If he's pulling up from 2 off of the drive, sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom