2023 Official MLB Season Thread

I’m concerned about your well being honestly.

Let me know if you need a psychiatrist, I’ll pay for your first 6 months, no joke. I have a former classmate who stayed in Palo Alto who practices there. I got you @stanfan

• Edgar Martinez. I was voting for Edgar before the Today's Game Committee brought humiliation on both the Hall and the unfortunate Harold Baines -- voting him in as perhaps the worst position player selected in the past 40 years -- but Baines' inclusion makes Edgar's exclusion through nine ballots even more inexplicable. Martinez racked up nearly 70 WAR despite contributing nothing on defense and, as a lifetime DH, having to produce even more to get so far above the replacement level for that position. He was exceptional at getting on base, finishing 17th all time with a .418 career OBP. His career would have been more impressive had Seattle not held him in the minors so long, refusing to give him regular playing time until he turned 27 -- unthinkable today, since he destroyed Triple-A even at age 24, but it was a more ignorant time. If you think David Ortiz is a Hall of Famer, then Edgar is too.

kinda a loaded question but...

to those who disagree about a DH being in the hall of fame how do you feel about a closer being 100%?

were talking about a guy who pitched no more than 70-75 innings a year.

i’m biased so for me if griffey wasn’t 100% then nobody should. but if griffey was 100% i’d have no problem with mariano getting it too.

Last edited:
amarano amarano Mo was BY far the greatest to ever do it at his position. Can you say the same for Griff and have 100% of people agree?

it’s a valid argument.

impact on the game, being a clean name during a an asterisk era, and most of all the “what would be if he didn’t get hurt (but he did)”...

it’s a tough call and there’s no bigger griffey mark than me.

all around clean player id say yes ken griffey junior is the best all around baseball player ever but it’s clearly debateable when you factor in his decline because of injuries.

Exactly, so it isn’t close to an apples to apples comparison.

If you could say yes he was BY far the greatest CF ever... different story.

Exactly, so it isn’t close to an apples to apples comparison.

If you could say yes he was BY far the greatest CF ever... different story.

yea but think about how many more CFs there were than closers.

john smoltz was on the back end of his career and became a closer because he couldn’t start due to tommy john anymore and he was lights out as a closer.

my point is if you’re (not you personally) gonna hold the DH against edgar martinez...shouldn’t you have some objection to a position that only pitched 3 outs a game?

thus does that warrant 100%?

Again, it’s not apples to apples.

The DH thing is a whole nother story. People will argue it’s not in both leagues, it’s a new position etc etc.

Last edited:
I do find it ironic that the first player to be in at 100% is at a position that baseball writers devalued in their relation to the Hall.

There should be a number of guys in the hall at 100% but people gotta have their self serving agendas

If Babe Ruth ain't 100, how can a career relief pitcher be one?

Mays. Cobb. Gehrig. Aaron.

I'm glad they finally gave up on the old way of thinking, but they should go back and correct a few old ballots first.

If Jeter gets 100%....... :lol:

i’m biased for me if griffey wasn’t 100% then nobody should. but if griffey was 100% i’d have no problem with mariano getting it too.

Griffey should have been 100%, and it’s a damn shame he wasn’t. Changed the game in so many ways, natural talent, tearing it up in the league since 18-19. And maintained to stay clean in the worst era for steroids

Nolan is up there

You got 19 to go :lol:

As much as these old writers are outdated, the only positive is not just any/every guy gets in. It should be special.

Nolan is up there

You got 19 to go :lol:

As much as these old writers are outdated, the only positive is not just any/every guy gets in. It should be special.

Agree it should be special, that’s why I was saying it’s not an apples to apples comparison Mo vs Griff lol.

I had this argument with my buddy about how awful the NBA is in this regard.

kinda a loaded question but...

to those who disagree about a DH being in the hall of fame how do you feel about a closer being 100%?

were talking about a guy who pitched no more than 70-75 innings a year.

i’m biased so for me if griffey wasn’t 100% then nobody should. but if griffey was 100% i’d have no problem with mariano getting it too.

I think this is a fair question, if you are one of the best at one side of the ball. You should get in.

I don't think Edgar was, I think he was real good though but not enough.

I also think closers have a harder job than DH.

There's defintiely 5-10 guys that should have gotten 100%, maybe even 15 guys.

I agree, I think Jeter has a very real shot at going in at 100% next year.

Bonds finished at 59.1%
Clemens 59.5%

Clemens needs to pick up 66 more voters and Bonds 68 before their deadline in three years.

Back
Top Bottom