2020-21 NBA Offseason thread: Officially a wrap

Think it really depends on the organization.

It can alternate between being player based to having it start at the top.

The main thing that seems to dictate or start it is passed and recent success which is why we always hear about a 'culture reset' or a welcome addition to the culture whenever a player, coach or GM associated with winning joins.

It usually works best and most effectively in tandem though between management, coaching and players for the legit top teams who challenge consistently.
Ya it varies team to team and changes over time. Take the Bulls for example: Reinsdorf doesn't care about the Bulls, Thibbs/Rose/Noah made them a hard working, grind it out culture. By the end until now, they were a clown show.

Heat have all facets covered but there was a time they had Whiteside, Waiters, James Johnson making the most money on the team and just going in a circle.

I'm always interested in culture and who sets it for teams; Best player(s), management, coaches, ownership.
Always starts with the coach until you get a big star. Then if they don’t mix, the coach is out :lol:

See, the Nets

Ya it varies team to team and changes over time. Take the Bulls for example: Reinsdorf doesn't care about the Bulls, Thibbs/Rose/Noah made them a hard working, grind it out culture. By the end until now, they were a clown show.

Heat have all facets covered but there was a time they had Whiteside, Waiters, James Johnson making the most money on the team and just going in a circle.
Yea that's why it really works the best when you have credible partners at each level of the organization. You can keep elite players but a lack of structure and stability won't get you far with them and vice versa with credible execs/coaches when the team personnel is lacking.

Always need that balance to get to and stay at the top.

SA-post Duncan, Manu and Parker is a good example of that balance being lost. Same with LAL when Phil, Pau, Fish etc left

Yea that's why it really works the best when you have credible partners at each level of the organization. You can keep elite players but a lack of structure and stability won't get you far with them and vice versa with credible execs/coaches when the team personnel is lacking.

Always need that balance to get to and stay at the top.

SA post Duncan, Manu and Parker is an example of that balance being lost.
I think that's why Manu hung on those last couple of years and they brought back Duncan to coach last year.

james doesn't believe covid can touch him?

He had it pre-bubble, so maybe thinks he’s immune now.

Guess he doesn’t know the cases of people being reinfected are staring to increase, with him having no Internet and all.

I think that's why Manu hung on those last couple of years and they brought back Duncan to coach last year.
Yea he obviously didn't contribute as much on the court as he used but everything he brought to the table besides that was invaluable to the whole operation.

Its why a lot of those well run organizations always bring back key members after their playing days just to have around as the personnel changes help sustain the mentality that made them successful, word to semi-retired Haslem famously being a player-coach the last few years :lol:

The Raps also most often promoting their people in house is another recent example of sustaining a culture

129069410_4218124304900960_2015985296051616449_o.jpg

The culture is driven by the players IMO. Basketball is just a player dominated sport. Just how in football, Goofy people like Dabo Sweeny control the culture of a team

The culture is driven by the players IMO. Basketball is just a player dominated sport. Just how in football, Goofy people like Dabo Sweeny control the culture of a team
They definitely have the most direct impact on team culture but you most often still need an organization with a certain kind of forethought or vision for how they want to get to the top and maintain their spot there.

We've seen enough great players playing for dysfunctional or incompetent organizations end up achieving little for it to be 100% down to them unless you have one of those legit transcendental players at your disposal who can take an average to losing team to another level mainly on their own shoulders like young MJ, Bron and to a lesser extent Steph.

Somewhat surprised the Nets are being ranked so highly in the power rankings coming out. I get they have a lot of talent on paper, but I need to see it all come together before I come to any conclusions.

Somewhat surprised the Nets are being ranked so highly in the power rankings coming out. I get they have a lot of talent on paper, but I need to see it all come together before I come to any conclusions.
are you more suprised the nets are so high, or the clippers are so low? i mean the bucks have a superstar that cant even shoot, and have been bounced early in the last 2 playoffs and havent gotten any better and theyre in 2nd....curious..

Back
Top Bottom