2023 Official MLB Season Thread

Just looked up who the last player was to win the MVP and rookie of the year in the same season and it was CP's boy Ichiro.

Last edited:
Is Judge the modern day Babe Ruth? :nerd:

On a serious note, can the Rockies sustain their current form? :nerd:

Rockies offense is definitely real but I don't know if I'd trust all those rookie pitchers

Last edited:
A Rangers fan hoping he fails. Hmmmmm. Gee. I wonder why....
happy.gif
You got me ****** up son... not at all, just calling what I see

Choo 
pimp.gif

Robbie Ray gon mess round and get Cy Young

Last edited:
How is it hoping he fails if that's the reality of the situation for Brinson?

He'll probably K at a 30% rate early on. Can he adjust? We'll see. If he does, he's a potential all-star year in, year out.

Worst case IMO he's a solid regular because he's strong defensively in center.

Could someone please post Keith Law's latest mock draft? --> http://www.espn.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=7178
Insider
Keith Law's Mock Draft 3.0: Twins might double their options with McKay

Louisville 1B/LHP Brendan McKay could help a pro team, but which one? And will it be from the mound or at the plate? Mat Gdowski/Icon Sportswire
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Email
comment
3:35 PM ET
Keith Law
ESPN Senior Writer
Keith Law's Prospect Reports

• 2017 Top 50 draft prospects

• 2017 Mock Draft 2.0

• Did Vandy's Kyle Wright just save his draft slot?

• Will upside make Hunter Greene the top pick on draft day?

• Complete 2017 draft coverage
This final mock isn't final. That is, this is the last full mock draft that I'll post, but I'm going to be updating it over the next 30-odd hours as I hear more information or get texts today from scouts and executives -- you know who you are -- telling me something here is wrong. This way, this mock draft will be as up-to-date as we can make it before the first pick of the draft is made just after 7 p.m. ET Monday.

I don't think the No. 1 pick is locked in yet, and it might not be until Monday. One general manager told me that he figured the Twins wouldn't decide for sure until around 5 p.m. Monday because there's no reason for them to make the call sooner than that. But once they do, there will be a big ripple effect from any change at the top, which is why I say this final mock isn't going to be quite so final after all.

1. Minnesota Twins
Brendan McKay, LHP/1B

Louisville

I think their choice is McKay, Kyle Wright, or -- in an unlikely scenario -- a significantly under-slot deal with someone such as MacKenzie Gore or Royce Lewis.
2. Cincinnati Reds
Hunter Greene, RHP/SS

Notre Dame High School, Sherman Oaks, California

I think their No. 1 choice is Greene, which means it wouldn't matter who goes first overall as long as it isn't him. But if Greene does end up a Twin, the Reds will likely pick McKay over Wright.

3. San Diego Padres
MacKenzie Gore, LHP

Whiteville (North Carolina) High School

Greene would be the Padres' first choice here, then Gore, then Royce Lewis.

4. Tampa Bay Rays
Royce Lewis, SS/2B

JSerra High School, Aliso Viejo, California

If McKay gets here, I believe they take him; if he's gone, I think they take Lewis or MacKenzie Gore over Wright. There's also a rumor that they could do a big underslot deal with Bubba Thompson here, but I think that's unlikely.

5. Atlanta Braves
Kyle Wright, RHP

Vanderbilt

They’ll take Lewis if he's available here, or they could take Virginia’s Adam Haseley instead if Atlanta prioritizes a bat. I know they like Shane Baz too. I've also heard them going with Mark Vientos at No. 41 if he gets there or possibly Stanford sophomore Tristan Beck, who didn't pitch this year due to a stress fracture. But I'm also hearing that Hiura is now in Atlanta's mix.

6. Oakland Athletics
Austin Beck, OF

North Davidson High School, Lexington, North Carolina

I think Gore is their first choice among players who might get here, with Beck a solid second choice and Hiura also an option.

7. Arizona Diamondbacks
Adam Haseley, OF

Virginia

I have heard them particularly connected with Haseley and Pavin Smith, both UVA kids.

8. Philadelphia Phillies
Pavin Smith, 1B

Virginia

I think they'd take Royce Lewis if he got this far, and they're still tied to high school arms Shane Baz and Trevor Rogers, as well as the college bat of Keston Hiura.

9. Milwaukee Brewers
Jordon Adell, OF

Ballard High School, Louisville, Kentucky

Brewers scouting director Ray Montgomery isn't afraid to roll the dice on a high-ceiling guy. I've heard the Brewers linked to Austin Beck, Adam Haseley and college right-hander J.B. Bukauskas too.

Keston Kiura could provide offensive upside, but how high will he rise on draft day? David Dennis/Getty Images
10. Los Angeles Angels

Keston Hiura, DH/2B

UC Irvine

I know some of the Angels’ scouts love Adell but think they'd prioritize a college player over a prep prospect. UCLA’s Griffin Canning was a possibility, but the bad medical (reported Saturday by MLB.com) is knocking him down on a lot of boards. I've also heard the Angels linked to Alabama prep RHP Caden Lemons in the second round, though that was a few weeks ago.

11. Chicago White Sox
J.B. Bukauskas, RHP

North Carolina

The White Sox will get their pick of a number of players they seem to like, including Jeren Kendall, Evan White and Jake Burger, but Bukauskas -- projected all year as a top-10 pick -- would be a minor steal at 11. The Sox are historically unafraid to take college arms with great performances and questionable deliveries -- witness Chris Sale, Carson Fulmer and Alec Hansen.

12. Pittsburgh Pirates
Trevor Rogers, LHP

Carlsbad (New Mexico) High School

I’ve heard them with Trevor Rogers, Shane Baz and Jeren Kendall but also possibly Bukauskas if he drops this far.

13. Miami Marlins
Alex Faedo, RHP

Florida

It sounds like they're more inclined to go for a college talent after their past three first-rounders -- all high school picks -- have had rough starts to their pro careers. Faedo and David Peterson are possible fits, though if the Fish go for a high school player, I've heard them matched with Shane Baz, Trevor Rogers and Heliot Ramos.

14. Kansas City Royals
Jeren Kendall, OF

Vanderbilt

Kendall is definitely in search of a home at this point, after a disappointing spring, but the Royals have been heavily in on him this spring and aren't afraid to take a toolsy player with this sort of upside. I've otherwise heard them on prep arms such as Baz, Rogers and D.L. Hall.

15. Houston Astros
Shane Baz, RHP

Concordia Lutheran High School, Cypress, Texas

The rumor of the week was that Baz, who is committed to TCU and has strongly indicated that he intends to matriculate there in the fall, has a big deal already in place somewhere, which caused speculation that it was with Houston. They like him, he's local, and they have extra picks to allow them to go over-slot here. I'd heard them with Griffin Canning before his medical news came out, as well as with Hiura, Rogers, Kendall and Peterson.

16. New York Yankees
David Peterson, LHP

Oregon

The two names I've heard most here are Peterson and high school first baseman Nick Pratto, but I think the Yankees will take any top player who slips this far, as they did with Blake Rutherford last year. That could also mean they take D.L. Hall.

17. Seattle Mariners
Jake Burger, 3B

Missouri State

This connection keeps coming up, and the Mariners seem almost certain to go college. Peterson is a popular name here, too.

18. Detroit Tigers
D.L. Hall, LHP

Valdosta (Georgia) High School

I think this is Hall's floor, too. He's a top-10 talent, but some teams are concerned about taking him too high, especially because he's a prep arm from very rural Georgia. They're also in on Nate Pearson.

19. San Francisco Giants
Evan White, 1B

Kentucky

I've heard the Giants associated with a number of college bats and a few arms, as well as high school catcher Luis Campusano-Bracero, whom I gave them in my first mock (and who I now think will go in the 30s).

20. New York Mets
Alex Lange, RHP

LSU

The Mets have been attached to a few college bats, though I think they would take Lange or Nate Pearson over Logan Warmoth if all three players are available here.

21. Baltimore Orioles
Tanner Houck, RHP

Missouri

It really depends on who falls to this pick. Logan Warmoth would be an alternative choice but not necessarily the top one, and I've heard the O’s equally invested in picking pitchers and hitters.

22. Toronto Blue Jays
Nate Pearson, RHP

College of Central Florida

A lot of folks think Pearson already has a deal with a team picking somewhere in the 20s -- he declined to work out for a team below this spot -- and Toronto is the most common suspect. They've also been tied to a number of college bats, including Warmoth, White and Stuart Fairchild.

23. Los Angeles Dodgers
Logan Warmoth, 3B

North Carolina

This is Warmoth's range (picks 20-24), and I think Boston’s pick is his floor. I've heard the Dodgers associated with Bubba Thompson all spring as well.

24. Boston Red Sox
Nick Pratto, 1B

Huntington Beach (California) High School

The Red Sox are tied to a lot of players, most of whom won't get this far, and the only type of player I don't think they'll take here is a prep arm, unless a top-10 talent such as D.L. Hall slips all the way down to 24.

25. Washington Nationals
Seth Romero, LHP

Kicked off the University of Houston

At a certain point, it becomes indistinguishable from parody. I’ve noted before, Romero was kicked off Houston’s team twice due to repeated instances of knuckleheadedness.

26. Texas Rangers
Bubba Thompson, OF

McGill-Toolen High School, Mobile, Alabama

I've also heard them associated with Stephen Jennings, one of my personal favorites from the class (he’s a three-sport athlete with a chance for three legit MLB-caliber pitches), but that could be on a deal at their next pick at No. 29, which is their compensation for Ian Desmond’s departure to the Rockies as a free agent.

27. Chicago Cubs
Drew Rasmussen, RHP

Oregon State

I think the Cubs would prefer to take a pitcher here, but they won't force the issue if they don't love the options. Rasmussen could have gone higher than this, had he been healthy all spring, but he missed half the year as he recovered from 2016 Tommy John surgery.

Insider

Louisville 1B/LHP Brendan McKay could help a pro team, but which one? And will it be from the mound or at the plate? Mat Gdowski/Icon Sportswire
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Email
comment
Keith Law
ESPN Senior Writer

• 2017 Mock Draft 2.0

This final mock isn't final. That is, this is the last full mock draft that I'll post, but I'm going to be updating it over the next 30-odd hours as I hear more information or get texts today from scouts and executives -- you know who you are -- telling me something here is wrong. This way, this mock draft will be as up-to-date as we can make it before the first pick of the draft is made just after 7 p.m. ET Monday.

I don't think the No. 1 pick is locked in yet, and it might not be until Monday. One general manager told me that he figured the Twins wouldn't decide for sure until around 5 p.m. Monday because there's no reason for them to make the call sooner than that. But once they do, there will be a big ripple effect from any change at the top, which is why I say this final mock isn't going to be quite so final after all.

1. Minnesota Twins
Brendan McKay, LHP/1B

Louisville

I think their choice is McKay, Kyle Wright, or -- in an unlikely scenario -- a significantly under-slot deal with someone such as MacKenzie Gore or Royce Lewis.
2. Cincinnati Reds
Hunter Greene, RHP/SS

I think their No. 1 choice is Greene, which means it wouldn't matter who goes first overall as long as it isn't him. But if Greene does end up a Twin, the Reds will likely pick McKay over Wright.

3. San Diego Padres
MacKenzie Gore, LHP

4. Tampa Bay Rays
Royce Lewis, SS/2B

If McKay gets here, I believe they take him; if he's gone, I think they take Lewis or MacKenzie Gore over Wright. There's also a rumor that they could do a big underslot deal with Bubba Thompson here, but I think that's unlikely.

5. Atlanta Braves
Kyle Wright, RHP

Vanderbilt

They’ll take Lewis if he's available here, or they could take Virginia’s Adam Haseley instead if Atlanta prioritizes a bat. I know they like Shane Baz too. I've also heard them going with Mark Vientos at No. 41 if he gets there or possibly Stanford sophomore Tristan Beck, who didn't pitch this year due to a stress fracture. But I'm also hearing that Hiura is now in Atlanta's mix.

6. Oakland Athletics
Austin Beck, OF

I think Gore is their first choice among players who might get here, with Beck a solid second choice and Hiura also an option.

7. Arizona Diamondbacks
Adam Haseley, OF

Virginia

I have heard them particularly connected with Haseley and Pavin Smith, both UVA kids.

8. Philadelphia Phillies
Pavin Smith, 1B

Virginia

I think they'd take Royce Lewis if he got this far, and they're still tied to high school arms Shane Baz and Trevor Rogers, as well as the college bat of Keston Hiura.

9. Milwaukee Brewers
Jordon Adell, OF

Brewers scouting director Ray Montgomery isn't afraid to roll the dice on a high-ceiling guy. I've heard the Brewers linked to Austin Beck, Adam Haseley and college right-hander J.B. Bukauskas too.

Keston Kiura could provide offensive upside, but how high will he rise on draft day? David Dennis/Getty Images
10. Los Angeles Angels

Keston Hiura, DH/2B

UC Irvine

I know some of the Angels’ scouts love Adell but think they'd prioritize a college player over a prep prospect. UCLA’s Griffin Canning was a possibility, but the bad medical (reported Saturday by MLB.com) is knocking him down on a lot of boards. I've also heard the Angels linked to Alabama prep RHP Caden Lemons in the second round, though that was a few weeks ago.

11. Chicago White Sox
J.B. Bukauskas, RHP

North Carolina

The White Sox will get their pick of a number of players they seem to like, including Jeren Kendall, Evan White and Jake Burger, but Bukauskas -- projected all year as a top-10 pick -- would be a minor steal at 11. The Sox are historically unafraid to take college arms with great performances and questionable deliveries -- witness Chris Sale, Carson Fulmer and Alec Hansen.

12. Pittsburgh Pirates
Trevor Rogers, LHP

I’ve heard them with Trevor Rogers, Shane Baz and Jeren Kendall but also possibly Bukauskas if he drops this far.

13. Miami Marlins
Alex Faedo, RHP

Florida

It sounds like they're more inclined to go for a college talent after their past three first-rounders -- all high school picks -- have had rough starts to their pro careers. Faedo and David Peterson are possible fits, though if the Fish go for a high school player, I've heard them matched with Shane Baz, Trevor Rogers and Heliot Ramos.

14. Kansas City Royals
Jeren Kendall, OF

Vanderbilt

Kendall is definitely in search of a home at this point, after a disappointing spring, but the Royals have been heavily in on him this spring and aren't afraid to take a toolsy player with this sort of upside. I've otherwise heard them on prep arms such as Baz, Rogers and D.L. Hall.

15. Houston Astros
Shane Baz, RHP

The rumor of the week was that Baz, who is committed to TCU and has strongly indicated that he intends to matriculate there in the fall, has a big deal already in place somewhere, which caused speculation that it was with Houston. They like him, he's local, and they have extra picks to allow them to go over-slot here. I'd heard them with Griffin Canning before his medical news came out, as well as with Hiura, Rogers, Kendall and Peterson.

16. New York Yankees
David Peterson, LHP

Oregon

The two names I've heard most here are Peterson and high school first baseman Nick Pratto, but I think the Yankees will take any top player who slips this far, as they did with Blake Rutherford last year. That could also mean they take D.L. Hall.

17. Seattle Mariners
Jake Burger, 3B

Missouri State

This connection keeps coming up, and the Mariners seem almost certain to go college. Peterson is a popular name here, too.

18. Detroit Tigers
D.L. Hall, LHP

I think this is Hall's floor, too. He's a top-10 talent, but some teams are concerned about taking him too high, especially because he's a prep arm from very rural Georgia. They're also in on Nate Pearson.

19. San Francisco Giants
Evan White, 1B

Kentucky

I've heard the Giants associated with a number of college bats and a few arms, as well as high school catcher Luis Campusano-Bracero, whom I gave them in my first mock (and who I now think will go in the 30s).

20. New York Mets
Alex Lange, RHP

LSU

The Mets have been attached to a few college bats, though I think they would take Lange or Nate Pearson over Logan Warmoth if all three players are available here.

21. Baltimore Orioles
Tanner Houck, RHP

Missouri

It really depends on who falls to this pick. Logan Warmoth would be an alternative choice but not necessarily the top one, and I've heard the O’s equally invested in picking pitchers and hitters.

22. Toronto Blue Jays
Nate Pearson, RHP

A lot of folks think Pearson already has a deal with a team picking somewhere in the 20s -- he declined to work out for a team below this spot -- and Toronto is the most common suspect. They've also been tied to a number of college bats, including Warmoth, White and Stuart Fairchild.

23. Los Angeles Dodgers
Logan Warmoth, 3B

North Carolina

This is Warmoth's range (picks 20-24), and I think Boston’s pick is his floor. I've heard the Dodgers associated with Bubba Thompson all spring as well.

24. Boston Red Sox
Nick Pratto, 1B

The Red Sox are tied to a lot of players, most of whom won't get this far, and the only type of player I don't think they'll take here is a prep arm, unless a top-10 talent such as D.L. Hall slips all the way down to 24.

25. Washington Nationals
Seth Romero, LHP

At a certain point, it becomes indistinguishable from parody. I’ve noted before, Romero was kicked off Houston’s team twice due to repeated instances of knuckleheadedness.

26. Texas Rangers
Bubba Thompson, OF

I've also heard them associated with Stephen Jennings, one of my personal favorites from the class (he’s a three-sport athlete with a chance for three legit MLB-caliber pitches), but that could be on a deal at their next pick at No. 29, which is their compensation for Ian Desmond’s departure to the Rockies as a free agent.

27. Chicago Cubs
Drew Rasmussen, RHP

Oregon State

I think the Cubs would prefer to take a pitcher here, but they won't force the issue if they don't love the options. Rasmussen could have gone higher than this, had he been healthy all spring, but he missed half the year as he recovered from 2016 Tommy John surgery.
Thanks man! Really appreciate you post this!

A's announcers giving the rundown on the Nats postseason failures.

Mark Mulder was spot on when he called Matt Williams decision to remove Jordan Zimmermann in game 2 of the NLDS "the worst decision he's ever seen".

Still makes my blood boil. 1 out away from a complete game shutout. Instead it turned into 18 innings of torture and heartbreak.
laugh.gif

98 pitches, wow

Too bad there were probably only 928 people in attendance

Could someone please post Keith Law's latest mock draft? --> http://www.espn.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=7178
Insider

Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Email
comment
Keith Law
ESPN Senior Writer

• 2017 Mock Draft 2.0

1. Minnesota Twins
Brendan McKay, LHP/1B

Louisville

2. Cincinnati Reds
Hunter Greene, RHP/SS

3. San Diego Padres
MacKenzie Gore, LHP

4. Tampa Bay Rays
Royce Lewis, SS/2B

5. Atlanta Braves
Kyle Wright, RHP

Vanderbilt

6. Oakland Athletics
Austin Beck, OF

7. Arizona Diamondbacks
Adam Haseley, OF

Virginia

8. Philadelphia Phillies
Pavin Smith, 1B

Virginia

9. Milwaukee Brewers
Jordon Adell, OF

10. Los Angeles Angels

Keston Hiura, DH/2B

UC Irvine

11. Chicago White Sox
J.B. Bukauskas, RHP

North Carolina

12. Pittsburgh Pirates
Trevor Rogers, LHP

13. Miami Marlins
Alex Faedo, RHP

Florida

14. Kansas City Royals
Jeren Kendall, OF

Vanderbilt

15. Houston Astros
Shane Baz, RHP

16. New York Yankees
David Peterson, LHP

Oregon

17. Seattle Mariners
Jake Burger, 3B

Missouri State

18. Detroit Tigers
D.L. Hall, LHP

19. San Francisco Giants
Evan White, 1B

Kentucky

20. New York Mets
Alex Lange, RHP

LSU

21. Baltimore Orioles
Tanner Houck, RHP

Missouri

22. Toronto Blue Jays
Nate Pearson, RHP

23. Los Angeles Dodgers
Logan Warmoth, 3B

North Carolina

24. Boston Red Sox
Nick Pratto, 1B

25. Washington Nationals
Seth Romero, LHP

26. Texas Rangers
Bubba Thompson, OF

27. Chicago Cubs
Drew Rasmussen, RHP

Oregon State

Any mocks/articles out there with player profiles for these kids? All Keith did was mock who's going where :lol: .

Back
Top Bottom