2023 Official MLB Season Thread

Maybe for the American players.

But try telling a player from Japan, DR, PR etc - “We’re not going to allow you to play..”

Not happening IMO.

Prob would become the next big sticking point in the CBA.

And other countries with equal leagues would dominate. Like how the “athletes from Russia” hockey team destroyed every other country at the Winter Olympics.

I don't know if it was necessarily PR's defense or it was a DR problem, but they just couldn't get THAT hit. HR and a run during a double play; that's it.
This. Add in some bad luck with line drives straight to gloves and it was just a bad recipe. Too many players trying to hit HR's at every At-Bat. Would've liked to see a bunt, some stolen bases, anything to mix it up.

Itd be tough to imagine teams letting their stars show up again if his injury is as bad as it looked. End up with bench guys and AAA players.
I could see it being put in contracts that if you get injured during wbc you wouldn’t get paid. But I think those clauses would only apply to marquee players.

Imagine Machado signing a fat deal 2 weeks ago then suffers an injury. As an owner you gotta be salty af that happens.

They need to have an official tournament for baseball like a World Cup where every country could send their best players. All other major sports do it, why can’t baseball? Before you say the season is too long, soccer players play almost 11 months out of the year.

They need to have an official tournament for baseball like a World Cup where every country could send their best players. All other major sports do it, why can’t baseball? Before you say the season is too long, soccer players play almost 11 months out of the year.

What?

To your credit, Im not sure im following... :lol:

WBC is that tournament. Thats why it was introduced. And you don't play 5-7 games per week in soccer. Baseball is also not really on the same global scale as soccer.

What happened to Edwin is unfortunate, but rare. If he played for a small market team people would probably care less.

What?

To your credit, Im not sure im following... :lol:

WBC is that tournament. Thats why it was introduced. And you don't play 5-7 games per week in soccer. Baseball is also not really on the same global scale as soccer.

What happened to Edwin is unfortunate, but rare. If he played for a small market team people would probably care less.
I mean a real tournament with out the BS rules on pitches and not getting all the best players. I think MLB is on to something with this tournament, but better made and a better format I think people will take it seriously.

Team USA better pick it up, or the Zuelans will send them back to their spring training teams!!

I mean a real tournament with out the BS rules on pitches and not getting all the best players. I think MLB is on to something with this tournament, but better made and a better format I think people will take it seriously.

Team USA better pick it up, or the Zuelans will send them back to their spring training teams!!

The only ones who haven't taken it serious is probably American players though. And still, of overall participants, you got Trout, Ohtani, Betts, reigning NL MVP...Soto, Manny, Julio....that's really the best of the best, sans Judge...big name pitchers is lacking, I'll agree there, but really I'm not sure that's fixable. I think an argument can be made that the timing of the tournament can be better, but the only better option is mid-season and that just flat out isn't desirable/practical for the MLB.

Baseball is global, but only to an extent. The premiere league is the MLB, which unlike soccer is based in the U.S. From an American fans perspective, it's still a majorily regional sport. To be honest, I'm kinda done with trying to "fix" baseball and all that to make it more appealing to casual fans. That doesn't mean I don't think the MLB can't optimize their product better, just that in the concept of the WBC, it already garners interest and true baseball fans enjoy it. But you already have the best of all the best playing within the MLB, so it's nowhere near close to soccer in that sense. We already have the pleasure of seeing these guys face eachother daily. It's just not in the country vs. country setting that it seems you are arguing for.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom