20th anniversary SONIC GENERATIONS (PS3/XBOX 360/3DS) 11/01/11 Vol. The hedgehog is back

Originally Posted by sole vintage

tumblr_ljhzymdEIc1qil6hqo1_500.gif
laugh.gif
wth

Home > PS3 Reviews > Sonic Generations review
[h1]Sonic Generations review[/h1]
Comments 2
Phil Iwaniuk at 12:13pm October 31 2011
Sonic-Generations-PS3-review-610x374.jpg

Here we go again – another Sonic game that promises much, is fun for 20 minutes and then turns out to be a massive letdown. Except…this isn’t like that. Not only is Generations a fitting celebration of the spiky one’s 20th birthday, it’s the best Sonic game in years.

The plot? Sonic’s having a knees-up in the woods with his familiar rag-tag bunch of mutated mammal chums, which is abruptly ended when an angry monster arrives and sends everyone flailing back in time.

Thankfully that’s as deep as the story gets, so to rescue his buddies he time-travels to a set of old haunts that have been cherry-picked from nine of the series’ previous games – stages such as the etched-into-our-brains Green Hill Zone from the original game and Sonic 2’s  treacherous Chemical Plant. It’d be easy to sully our childhood memories with rubbish remakes of these levels, but Generations hits the perfect sweet spot between familiar and contemporary.

Each act is a masterpiece of platform game design. Whether you’re playing it in the classic side-on 2D mode or the from-behind 3D mode (stages feature one of each), it’s sprawling and focused all at once, every pixel placed with the express purpose of making you go really, really fast.

20110822211101Sonic_Generations_-_Green_Hill_-_Game_Shot_-_13-610x343.jpg

Recent Sonic games have failed because they got that feeling of speed wrong. They were either too fussy and complicated, or plodded along monotonously like the slow train to Hedgehogsville. Generations, in contrast, nails it when it comes to pacing.

Presumably, it was through revisiting those old games that the developers rediscovered the simplicity that made Sonic such a laugh in the first place. The most torturous experience in this game isn’t losing hundreds of rings, or jumping on a spike pit – it’s standing still, because going fast is so much fun. And no matter how many times I missed a jump or drowned Sonic (I remain convinced that hedgehogs can swim), I blamed my slow thumbs rather than the game.

This gets so much right, but there’s one particular grumble – the more stationary challenges – digging for medals with Tails, for example – are tedious. It’s against the series’ nature to stand still, yet you have to keep stopping and waiting to collect medals. In trying to create variation, these challenges trip themselves up by changing the mechanics that make the game work in the first place.

Still, Generations always draws you back with its level design and compulsive simplicity. Even downtime between stages is entertaining thanks to a hub filled with art, music and a shop in which you buy power-ups and original Megadrive versions of levels (welcome back to my ears, tinny theme music). This is the Sonic game you’ve waited years for – save for the fact that stupid Tails just refuses to bloody well die.

Home > PS3 Reviews > Sonic Generations review
[h1]Sonic Generations review[/h1]
Comments 2
Phil Iwaniuk at 12:13pm October 31 2011
Sonic-Generations-PS3-review-610x374.jpg

Here we go again – another Sonic game that promises much, is fun for 20 minutes and then turns out to be a massive letdown. Except…this isn’t like that. Not only is Generations a fitting celebration of the spiky one’s 20th birthday, it’s the best Sonic game in years.

The plot? Sonic’s having a knees-up in the woods with his familiar rag-tag bunch of mutated mammal chums, which is abruptly ended when an angry monster arrives and sends everyone flailing back in time.

Thankfully that’s as deep as the story gets, so to rescue his buddies he time-travels to a set of old haunts that have been cherry-picked from nine of the series’ previous games – stages such as the etched-into-our-brains Green Hill Zone from the original game and Sonic 2’s  treacherous Chemical Plant. It’d be easy to sully our childhood memories with rubbish remakes of these levels, but Generations hits the perfect sweet spot between familiar and contemporary.

Each act is a masterpiece of platform game design. Whether you’re playing it in the classic side-on 2D mode or the from-behind 3D mode (stages feature one of each), it’s sprawling and focused all at once, every pixel placed with the express purpose of making you go really, really fast.

20110822211101Sonic_Generations_-_Green_Hill_-_Game_Shot_-_13-610x343.jpg

Recent Sonic games have failed because they got that feeling of speed wrong. They were either too fussy and complicated, or plodded along monotonously like the slow train to Hedgehogsville. Generations, in contrast, nails it when it comes to pacing.

Presumably, it was through revisiting those old games that the developers rediscovered the simplicity that made Sonic such a laugh in the first place. The most torturous experience in this game isn’t losing hundreds of rings, or jumping on a spike pit – it’s standing still, because going fast is so much fun. And no matter how many times I missed a jump or drowned Sonic (I remain convinced that hedgehogs can swim), I blamed my slow thumbs rather than the game.

This gets so much right, but there’s one particular grumble – the more stationary challenges – digging for medals with Tails, for example – are tedious. It’s against the series’ nature to stand still, yet you have to keep stopping and waiting to collect medals. In trying to create variation, these challenges trip themselves up by changing the mechanics that make the game work in the first place.

Still, Generations always draws you back with its level design and compulsive simplicity. Even downtime between stages is entertaining thanks to a hub filled with art, music and a shop in which you buy power-ups and original Megadrive versions of levels (welcome back to my ears, tinny theme music). This is the Sonic game you’ve waited years for – save for the fact that stupid Tails just refuses to bloody well die.

Back
Top Bottom