21st c. Windrunner Advice

Hey all,

I recently bought the Olympic 21st C. Windrunner, such a slick jacket... However I found what seems to be a stain possibly a watermark? on one of the shoulders. I have not worn it or anything yet, and was just wondering what I should do? The location I bought it from (21st Mercer) had told me that I had got the last medium when I purchased it. Any advice would be appreciated!

On a sidebar, I was just curious as to the technical aspects of the jacket. I was wondering if it had any sort of water resistancy. I'm worried that if there is this water stain on the jacket then it is a very delicate jacket and that it's not one that should really be used... (hope that makes sense). Anyways, thanks for the help. Peace

Hrmm. Well I don't want to say its delicate, but idk the seemingly water based stain on the jacket has me worried as I'm sure that there will be times when I run where it might start to rain. I would just hate to see the jacket ruined. Perhaps I'll give Nike a call tomorrow. The reflectivity is so dope though!

Are you certain it's a water stain? I could almost swear this jacket is waterproof.. Have you attempted to clean it with anything? I would read the "care for instruction" if it's machine washable I don't see how it could be a water stain. And FYI Nikestore.com has a full sz run of these jackets so you could always return it and cop online

Anybody else who owns this item and machine-washed it? Or cleaned it somehow? How well does it hold up?

In response to how hard it is to clean this thing, I've pooled up answers/responses I've gotten from various individuals: (Basically I've asked people how their jacket held up after cleaning/washing it)
Hi,

I screwed up when washing mine, it seems I used a bit too much detergent and now I have a few spots where the reflective material has worn out (went from silverish to blackish). I'm going to try and get an exchange at Nike, hope they are understanding.
this is my second season with it, between now and beginning of spring i use it 2-3 times a week. i rinse it out after shorter runs in a bucket with warm water. after long runs, i wash it out with normal laundry detergent and rinse it out. i hang dry it, shiny side out, stretched on a long horizontal rod (dont hang it by the neck loop).

so far, it looks like new. you can see small watermarks on it. its not any more prone to it, its just so reflective and it doesnt affect the reflectivity.

==========

u definitely want to hand wash/rinse this, the reflective surface wont last being bashed around with zippers, etc. its very easy to hand-wash (basically washing the sweat away) and it dries very quickly indoors when hung up. i wash/rinse it with my other technical stuff. the water marks come and go after each wash/rinse; it just depends on how the water dries. u'll never get rid of them, i stopped worrying a long time ago. for short runs, a rinse in warm water is fine to avoid odour build up
DO NOT WASH- i washed mine for a second time and now it looks like a polka-dotted jacket
The reflective surface really shows foreign material - water spots, finger oil, sweat, splashed hydration fluid, and sneezing or nasal clearing. Fortunately it is easy to clean the jacket. I machine wash it with the rest of my athletic gear.

Drying it properly is the key. It should go from the washer to the dryer with the reflective surface out and all zippers closed. Dry on low heat, and when your entire load is maybe 1/4 or 1/3 dry pull the jacket out. It should be barely above room temperature, so no heat damage, but the reflective outside will be dry and clear of marks. The inside will still be wet. Turn the jacket inside out and air dry on a hanger.
So far, it seems that the only way to maintain this jacket is via hand washing.

Other 21st C Windrunner owners who've successfully cleaned/washed their jackets, feel free to chime in!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom