24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

^ that's the goal!

I think you need to spend over 250k in a year for the consideration lol

Last edited:
Jesus. What kind of perks do you get with that card? Complimentary on demand blowjobs?

I'm sure this has been posted before but what is the difference between the credit karma scores and scores from discover/cap1 sites? There is like a 30-40pt gap between the two for me.

Gotta question for you guys. I recently paid off my credit card, and I want to improve my score. If I charge my card say $100 a month and pay it off each month, will that help increase my score? Thanks in advance

Gotta question for you guys. I recently paid off my credit card, and I want to improve my score. If I charge my card say $100 a month and pay it off each month, will that help increase my score? Thanks in advance

If it's your only card, you want it to report

Last edited:

You can charge whatever you want as long as it reports less than 30% utilization at the most and less than 10% utilization for optimum scores. Utilization has no memory though so you can have 30% utilization one month and 10% the next and the 30% from the prior month will not affect you. So use the 10% rule whenever you want to see the highest score possible.

Example: you have a card with a $1000 limit and the statement cuts on the 25th of each month. You can charge as much as you want as long as you pay it down to $100 or less before the 25th (10% of your total credit limit for optimum scores).

But as you continue to make on time payments (at least the minimum payment) on your credit cards each month your score will rise. Keep letting a small amount report on your card each month and pay it off before the due date to continue to log on time payments and usage in your report. So in short, the answer to your question is yes.

I'm sure this has been posted before but what is the difference between the credit karma scores and scores from discover/cap1 sites? There is like a 30-40pt gap between the two for me.
Just realized this as well. Probably been posted already but anyone care to share any reputable/accurate credit report sites? Late to the credit game myself so I'm definitely catching up with this thread. 

^

http://www.annualcreditreport.com

gives you your actual credit score that is 100% accurate. Can only use once a year. Soft pull.

I had to check my score recently to refinance, and I use creditKarma and Creditsesame. One was 13 points off, the other was 8 points off, they're pretty close.

I use Credit Karma often and they've always been pretty accurate in regards to my score, only a couple points off, if that.

^
http://www.annualcreditreport.com

gives you your actual credit score that is 100% accurate. Can only use once a year. Soft pull.

^^ Correct.

Here's an article from Nerd Wallet that's very helpful for those wanting to increase their score:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/finance/credit-score-ranges-and-how-to-improve/

Credit score was completely SHOT 2 years ago. Got two student loans out of default and a credit card I had that went into collections finally dropped off my report. Score went up 170 points since then. Feels goodman.

Thanks to reading this thread a year ago, my score went from a 440 to 700 in 12 mths. I know that's not super high but it let's me know I'm on the right track. I lurk in here a lot, I just wanna thank dudes for dropping knowledge for real, most helpful thread imo in a long time.

Good [emoji]128169[/emoji] Man! This thread has a lot of jewels! Preciate y'all for the motivation

Credit score was completely SHOT 2 years ago. Got two student loans out of default and a credit card I had that went into collections finally dropped off my report. Score went up 170 points since then. Feels goodman.

Legit love hearing stuff like this man. Congrats and keep going!

just copped the citi thank you premier with a 6.7k CL..........i didnt know about the price rewind which im looking forward to using in the future

now im at 30k CL between 4 cards plus an amex platinum.....only 6% utilization with a current score of 760

not stoppin til i get that 8hunnid :smokin

Last edited:
Credit Karma is off by more than 30 points for me. Was listed at 780 on CK and just purchased a vehicle and score came back at 745

Once my no interest period is up for Chase I'm getting a Discover card for sure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom