24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

The Citi Prestige will be my go to travel card once I'm ready to apply for one.

I looked at getting it last year but ended up getting the top Navy Federal card. I can easily swing that $450 fee with all those perks so I may look back into it.

I looked at getting it last year but ended up getting the top Navy Federal card. I can easily swing that $450 fee with all those perks so I may look back into it.

Yeah , I've been looking at the flagship card, but I don't really think it compares to the prestige card.

Yeah , I've been looking at the flagship card, but I don't really think it compares to the prestige card.

Not at all. I told dude I'll apply for the Navy Fed one online in a few weeks. Before I left, he hit me with an "o I forgot I ran your credit and you're approved for $xx,xxxx. The card will come in the mail". Made sense to keep it since he already did a credit check.

Last edited:
Not at all. I told dude I'll apply for the Navy Fed one online in a few weeks. Before I left, he hit me with an "o I forgot I ran your credit and you're approved for $xx,xxxx. The card will come in the mail". Made sense to keep it since he already did a credit check.
What if you had gotten a letter of declination? If that were me I would've been pissed that somebody ran my credit without permission.

Pretty sure that's illegal

What if you had gotten a letter of declination? If that were me I would've been pissed that somebody ran my credit without permission.
I would have tripped if I got denied because I never formally asked for it. I compared them while I was in his office and was 99% going to apply for the card in a few days. After seeing the approved limit, I was cool with keeping the card. If I was unsure on the card, I definitely would have threw a fit because that one has an annual fee.

I have seen the name tossed around, i assume its better than the Amex platinum?
For everyday spending and point redemption it definitely kills the platinum card. I mean even the 4th night free perk makes it an easy choice over the platinum card for me. Check out the article that was posted a few posts up.

credit score is now 821 fambs :pimp:

hashtag humble brag

how can i be like you?

I will get there tho 769 and rising :smokin

my credit history is relatively new, a little over 3 years. i couldn't get a CC for the longest time then one day my bank finally approved me for one after being denied 1-4 times but i was also getting denied everywhere else. at the time i had student loans but i paid that off around 1.5 years. my credit line was like 1000 but i wasnt really trippin and used that to buy everything and whenever a new statement came, i made sure to pay the entire bill so i wouldn't have to pay interest. after building my credit up for around 3-6 months, i had applied and got approved for a discover card. discover was way better bc it gave me cash back. discover started to give out free FICO scores in its monthly statements and my first score was a 728.within a year my score jumped as high as a 796 but was always around the 770ish range and stayed there for the next year and a half. i wanna say after paying off the student loans, my credit just stop increasing and the times my score changed, i didn't know what cause it to and it seemed hella random when it happened. the only constant was that it always went back to the 770 range after a while. i just got a new whip about 7 months ago and got an auto loan and i think that's what caused my score to jump into the 800s.

tldr(?)
1. get any CC as soon as possible
2. use it but don't abuse it and make sure u pay it off each statement
3. after building your credit, get a doper CC. i highly recommend Discover, CSP+Freedom.
4. different lines of credit help build your credit

For everyday spending and point redemption it definitely kills the platinum card. I mean even the 4th night free perk makes it an easy choice over the platinum card for me. Check out the article that was posted a few posts up.

I have had my amex for about 6 yrs now and it really seems that they are falling off compared to these new cards that are coming out now. I dont want to cancel it but dang lol

I have had my amex for about 6 yrs now and it really seems that they are falling off compared to these new cards that are coming out now. I dont want to cancel it but dang lol
AMEX definitely fell off, especially after they stopped allowing people to back date new cards to the original joined year.

I really think its all about the name and branding now.

I think it was this thread but someone was talking about requesting a credit increase...

After a hiccup on my first request due to my address being a PO box, I got 125% increase. tripped me out.

For those that have requested, what was your results?

The Citi Prestige will be my go to travel card once I'm ready to apply for one.

I have seen the name tossed around, i assume its better than the Amex platinum?

I'd say it's better by a longshot. Esp when you can get the prestige for $350 in branch. Also get Admirals lounge access and the priority pass allows to you bring two guests, whereas the Amex I think only allows the primary cardholder.

I'd say it's better by a longshot. Esp when you can get the prestige for $350 in branch. Also get Admirals lounge access and the priority pass allows to you bring two guests, whereas the Amex I think only allows the primary cardholder.
When you get it for $350 in branch is it always $350/yr?

I think it was this thread but someone was talking about requesting a credit increase...

After a hiccup on my first request due to my address being a PO box, I got 125% increase. tripped me out.

For those that have requested, what was your results?

What kind of card did you request an increase on? It varies by company really. Amex you can get a 300% CLI, discover my first CLI was 400%

When you get it for $350 in branch is it always $350/yr?

Supposedly. Several folks on Flyertalk have said so. It's a promotion for Citigold members, but apparently Citi doesn't really check and some bankers will just click "Yes this person is a Citigold member" to get you that $350 af.

For the last year or so I've been making 90% of my purchases with my AMEX Platinum credit card and paying it all in full at the end of the month? Is this a sound strategy? should I pay for more stuff with my debit card/cash? should I mix up the credit cards I use? Current credit score is 755 btw

Research papi.

There's a million CCs out there each with their own advantages. Definitely do NOT buy with debit/cash because you'll be missing out on all of the benefits that goes with using a CC (cashback/points, extended warranty, fraud protection, etc.).

Last edited:
Your money should always be working for you.

Get a CC that offers rewards/benefits.

Last edited:
For the last year or so I've been making 90% of my purchases with my AMEX Platinum credit card and paying it all in full at the end of the month? Is this a sound strategy? should I pay for more stuff with my debit card/cash? should I mix up the credit cards I use? Current credit score is 755 btw

Horrible.

Only you know what you spend your money on so it's hard to recommend a card. Look into the Chase Sapphire preferred,Citi premier or prestige, amex everyday or the preferred version, and amex SPG for non bonus purchases even though this card is probably done by next year. When you have those cards you have most categories covered.

Horrible.

Only you know what you spend your money on so it's hard to recommend a card. Look into the Chase Sapphire preferred,Citi premier or prestige, amex everyday or the preferred version, and amex SPG for non bonus purchases even though this card is probably done by next year. When you have those cards you have most categories covered.

IMO Unless you Travel a ton the AMEX Gold Rewards is better than the Platinum when it comes to getting pure points. Main reason I havent gone to Platinum and I`m not sure about the Prestige is that I dont travel enough to benefit it seems, and with my Gold Rewards my points pay off my Annual Fee after only 2 months of me using it on avg compared to the higher fees of those other cards.

IMO Unless you Travel a ton the AMEX Gold Rewards is better than the Platinum when it comes to getting pure points. Main reason I havent gone to Platinum and I`m not sure about the Prestige is that I dont travel enough to benefit it seems, and with my Gold Rewards my points pay off my Annual Fee after only 2 months of me using it on avg compared to the higher fees of those other cards.

I agree. For $450 a year the platinum card should have some bonus categories. A lot of people think that about the prestige. You get a lot of value the first year from the prestige.

if you applied today, you'd get a $250 air credit and another credit Jan 1. $500

50K points = $800

Use the 4th night free perk twice, lets say it saved you $400 total

Global entry - $100

thats $1800. Minus $450 for the annual fee ($350 if you do it at the branch) you're up $1350 in year 1. If you dont like it for whatever reason, you cancel it. This isn't including all the other benefits of the card.

Back
Top Bottom