24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

Nope. Nothing at all.

What kind of utilization are you showing? Only other thing I can think of to jump that much is that you had over 10% on a few cards and this month you only let one report with utilization under 10% or something

What kind of utilization are you showing? Only other thing I can think of to jump that much is that you had over 10% on a few cards and this month you only let one report with utilization under 10% or something

I owed $135 on one card on my May FICO, and $301 on one card on my June FICO. I have over $60K in available credit.

Paid down a few cards this week..including paying off one card..I paid $2900 towards CCs in the past week..the other open card only has $300 left..and my other remaining cards is 0% APR til June 2017 :smile:

*Never gonna pay interest on a card again

No clue then. Maybe you passed some kind of age of accounts milestone

I just looked into that. My oldest card is now 3 years, average age is 2 years. Doesn't sound like much but this must have something to do with it. Thanks bro.

It's just frustrating, I want to buy a condo next year and I'm paying off everything in full on time, no new inquiries, etc and the FICO jumps up and down randomly even if I do everything right. There's no reason I shouldn't get the lowest rate, but who knows what my credit score will be on the day a mortgage company pulls it. I hate this stupid system :lol:

So awhile back I was in here asking about a credit card, and I was declined by Discover. Then I tried to get a card for J. Crew, applied and haven't heard back from them since smh. I know it's recommended that you wait six months before applying again, but I really want to start building my credit up prior to graduating next year. My credit score is low enough at 609 that I'm concerned about building it up. Any advice?

So awhile back I was in here asking about a credit card, and I was declined by Discover. Then I tried to get a card for J. Crew, applied and haven't heard back from them since smh. I know it's recommended that you wait six months before applying again, but I really want to start building my credit up prior to graduating next year. My credit score is low enough at 609 that I'm concerned about building it up. Any advice?

Get a secured card.

For applying with discover what would someone out under monthly rent payment when they don't pay rent?

$300 at Bank of America.
$500 at most Credit Unions.

It's not like you don't get that money back when you close the card, if you're not getting accepted anywhere you pretty much don't have a choice.

Well i FINALLY got approved for the Discover It Card this morning :smokin, $1k starting limit. I applied like 3-4 times in the last year. I had horrible credit until last year when i started rebuilding using the Capital One Secured card. Got a credit limit increase in May on my Quicksilver card, from $500 to $2000. Got a credit limit increase on all of my store cards as well. I tried for the Capital One Venture card today and got denied :smh:

I did the preapproval for BOA and got preapproved for their Travel Card, should i go for it?

Last edited:
Just got approved for Discover my first CC. Ready to build this credit score. Seriously thank you all for your help I learned so much from this thread you don't even know.

Well I've only really applied for Discover, but I do get capital one offers in the mail. I don't like those, I might try AMEX.

Back
Top Bottom