24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

Reps for both of you. I filed a direct dispute with CK on the collection to see what that does. Once they get back to me about that, I'll see what's up. Don't collections stay on your history for seven years whether you pay it or not? :nerd:

It only stays on there if you don't negotiate a pay for delete and they mark the collection as "paid collection". Which is why I said to negotiate a pay for delete with the creditor if possible. Which bureau is it reporting to? If it's reporting to 2 or all three bureaus, the direct dispute with credit karma likely won't help since it is only with transunion. It's rare that credit card companies pull from transunion in my experience so if they pull another bureau and the collection is still on there you'll get the same result. Paying the hospital directly so that they remove the debt from collections or negotiating a pay for delete with the creditor is your best option honestly

It only stays on there if you don't negotiate a pay for delete and they mark the collection as "paid collection". Which is why I said to negotiate a pay for delete with the creditor if possible. Which bureau is it reporting to? If it's reporting to 2 or all three bureaus, the direct dispute with credit karma likely won't help since it is only with transunion. It's rare that credit card companies pull from transunion in my experience so if they pull another bureau and the collection is still on there you'll get the same result. Paying the hospital directly so that they remove the debt from collections or negotiating a pay for delete with the creditor is your best option honestly
Discover pulled from Transunion. But I believe it's on my Equifax as well. Is there a way I can just pay a portion of it since its old? Not really trying to give them 550. :lol:

Discover pulled from Transunion. But I believe it's on my Equifax as well. Is there a way I can just pay a portion of it since its old? Not really trying to give them 550. :lol:

It's possible, but you may not be able to get them to remove it from your credit report. And if you pay a portion of it they could put that you paid a settled amount or something along those lines on your report and that looks worse than having it paid in full and still show on your report. Now you could get lucky and they could agree to remove it if you pay a portion of it, but make sure you get it in writing so that you don't get screwed

It's possible, but you may not be able to get them to remove it from your credit report. And if you pay a portion of it they could put that you paid a settled amount or something along those lines on your report and that looks worse than having it paid in full and still show on your report. Now you could get lucky and they could agree to remove it if you pay a portion of it, but make sure you get it in writing so that you don't get screwed
Repped again. So I might just get a secured card and try to build that way for now, then just pay the collection during tax season or something.

Yea it ends up falling off

How old are you? How old is your credit history. I've seen people with a few negatives get approved for regular cards
I'm 21. My credit is basically new. The collection is the first thing on my credit history, followed by my car note which is three months old. HALP.

Ouch yea, rather short history and a big negative is gonna screw for awhile.

Better look into trying and getting that removed and yes get a secured card or two if you got the cash

Better look into trying and getting that removed and yes get a secured card or two if you got the cash
Thanks. Take another rep. Also, do you guys think I would get approved for store credit cards? And if so, would that help anything?

Thanks. Take another rep. Also, do you guys think I would get approved for store credit cards? And if so, would that help anything?

I would hold off on those in my opinion. Do they help? Yes.

But in your position and with the big negative try for secured card and work on removing that negative and you should be good to go.

I mean if you want, try for a target card even Macy's. They are pretty easy even with crap credit if you really want a card on your history

Amex users check your offers for the $15 Nike credit offer as well. Not sure if somebody posted it in here when it first came up or not.

What's some good travel credit cards with a decent startup credit limit? I was thinking about the Discover It miles, but I already have an It card. any other suggestions?

What's some good travel credit cards with a decent startup credit limit? I was thinking about the Discover It miles, but I already have an It card. any other suggestions?

Just got the AMEX delta card that you get 50,000 miles after $1,000 spent in 3 months.

If you're willing to wait, that chase sapphire reserve card looks mad promising

i have a discover CC that i keep the utilization under 10% and pay off in full every month

i have never been late on any of my verizon/electric/rent/car payment (i know rent/verizon/electric don't count towards your credit unless youre late)

i have no debt and never asked for a loan of any kind.

just started using credit this year. i know that length of credit history is one of the main reasons for my credit score not being higher

my credit has been at 730 for a while now. is there anything i can do give my CS a boost? thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom