24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

need some advice...

im 2.9k in debt.

I also have 2.4k in cash as emergency money.

Do I use all 2.4k to attack that debt so I can finally breathe or only use 1k??

any ideas what I should do. kinda wanna just use my whole 2.4k to get it out the way

Last edited:
need some advice...

im 2.9k in debt.

I also have 2.4k in cash as emergency money.

Do I use all 2.4k to attack that debt so I can finally breathe or only use 1k??

any ideas what I should do. kinda wanna just use my whole 2.4k to get it out the way

What's the APR on the debt? Is it on a credit card?

There's some cards that will give you 0% APR for a Balance transfer, I recall seeing one for 15 months.

I hate owing money either way, so I'd pay it off. But thats just me

Does anyone have the amazon Visa card?? Pros/cons

I have it but I only use it when I shop on amazon or at Whole Foods. It’s a chase visa so it’s on my chase app which is nice, I wonder if I can combine my points with my other cards though. It’s also one of those thick heavier cards too which is cool. I forget what the perks are besides the 5% back at amazon and Whole Foods but I got a $70 amazon gift card when I signed up

Blowing all that 2.4k and he’s still in debt $500 tho :lol:

I’m against blowing it all off if it’s emergency money

I’d go with 1k and chip away at the rest. Atleast you’re gonna get rid of a good chunk

Emergency money is for emergencies but what if his CL is $3K & sitting on 95% utilization? If you can get to 25% and still have a good rainy day chunk that sounds like a good compromise

Don't spend emergency fund. Balance transfer it to a card with 0% apr if it's not already. Knock it out within the period. AMEX Everyday card has a $0 balance transfer fee and 15 months 0% apr.

Don't spend emergency fund. Balance transfer it to a card with 0% apr if it's not already. Knock it out within the period. AMEX Everyday card has a $0 balance transfer fee and 15 months 0% apr.
What if he can’t get approved for balance transfer card?

Or are they easier to get? Wanted to suggest one to someone I know who’s struggling with some debt and credit is so so so I had assumed would be like getting approved for any card and would likely get declined with ok credit and 7k in debt over a few cards

All he has to do is go on credit karma and look int the balance transfer section and see if if approval rating is good or not. I got 15 month 0% apr on a chase card for 5k. My credit score is pretty much where his is at just a little higher. I have a car loan with no missed payments for two years and some other stuff that might factor in, but he should be good for one.

Do you need a credit card right now? The history of your closed card will still appear even though its closed. IMO one recently opened credit card with what I imagine would be a low limit (since your other card was secured and likely didn't have a high limit), won't really help you in any measurable way in getting a loan. Just seems like it will lower your fico score, which right now is okay but not great. If it were me, I'd go for the loan first then the credit card afterwards if possible.
So when I closed my Capital One card I was sitting at 662 however I did end up getting the Discover IT card before applying for a loan. Since opening the card I'm currently sitting at a 685. As of right now my next move is to do a "pay to delete" on a collection for a student loan which with hopefully thinking I can hit that 700 range and apply for the loan.

Can someone point me in a good direction on how to get a small business loan!!! I figured this would be the best thread on NT to ask.

I would recommend the Chase Ink Business Preferred Credit Card if you can manage cash flow properly and have consistent sales.

80,000 bonus points with 5K spent in the first 3 months. However, they do charge a $95 annual fee after the first statement.

It helps reduce my shipping and cell phone costs by 3% and they don't charge a foreign transaction fee.

You can apply here: https://bit.ly/2v3WgTx

:smile:

I know this been asked more times than a little but best card to get for travel with and without a annual fee?

I know this been asked more times than a little but best card to get for travel with and without a annual fee?

Chase Sapphire Reserve but annual fee is a bit hefty ($450)

Chase Sapphire Preferred is good too. Only 95 a year and the fee is waived year 1

Thanks will look into the Preferred since that $450 is a lot at the moment

$450 is really only like $150 though (or less). They instantaneously credit your account $300 worth of anything travel (flights, taxi, parking meters, anything). You can also get a Priority Pass membership ($100 I believe) and you get TSA PreCheck or Global Entry ($100 each) covered through the card.

$450 is really only like $150 though (or less). They instantaneously credit your account $300 worth of anything travel (flights, taxi, parking meters, anything). You can also get a Priority Pass membership ($100 I believe) and you get TSA PreCheck or Global Entry ($100 each) covered through the card.

this man is correct... and you actually get $600 of travel credit if you know when to cancel before the annual fee hits.:evil:

this man is correct... and you actually get $600 of travel credit if you know when to cancel before the annual fee hits.:evil:

Thats what we did for my wife's card, but we kept mine because I needed to keep a UR earning card + I think it's still worth it to have one CSR.

I also signed up for the Chase Ink Preferred card in-branch, threw wife's tuition on it to reach the $5k spend about 2 days after I got it = 100k more UR points. Haven't used the card since.

I got the Discover IT, Chase Freedom, and CSR in rotation right now

5% on dining with IT
5% on gas with the freedom
CSR for everything else

I'm running:
B of A cash rewards for 3% gas cash back (no rotating categories, no annual fee)
Amex blue cash 3% back groceries (no annual fee)
Chase ink business 5% cash back on Cell phone, internet/cable bills (no annual fee)
Chase sapphire preferred - everything else

Keep in mind you also get lounge access and that priority pass which gives you credit to eat at certain food establishments every time you fly. For example, I flew down to LA a couple months ago with two friends and we were able to use alaska lounge prior to boarding which included all you can drink beer. Even though the annual fee is 450 on the sapphire reserved, if you use it correctly and take advantage of the perks its absolutely worth it.

Back
Top Bottom