24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

So if I get the secured Discover card does the $150 cash back if I spend $750 still apply? Or is that only for the regular credit card?

And I figured out why I got denied. My credit score is a 541 :x. I've got a medical bill from Aug 2013 I forgot all about. It's like $600 and it went to collections. I don't have any info on the collections agency how do I go about paying it and getting this off my credit?

Last edited:
Have a question, I currently have a secured Cap 1 card. I was reading that I would have to close my secured card cuz they don't "graduate" you secured to unsecured which would ruin my credit history. is that true? I mean ive spent the last year building my score up pretty good, If I close this account, it will no longer be my longest open account on my credit file. now I cant go unsecured while keeping my history with card? kinda crappy, can anyone shed light on this?

I have a Dell Preferred Account with a $3500 limit. I'm about to cancel it because I have Paypal Credit and get 6 months no interest on everything over $99. The limit on that is $2200. The only real credit card I have is a Bank of America Cash Rewards card. I got it in college from Clout Visa (predatory lender who called my dorm room phone one day). They gave me $1000 limit and I didn't even have a job. Bank of America bought them out and I just never got rid of it. The limit is $7800 now. The last thing I bought was my PS4 a year ago and I paid it off shortly after.

Keep the accounts open. The older and greater the available credit your have, the better it is.

So is opening a lot of lines of credit to increase the total credit limit to decrease total utilization a good look or no?

Yes, technically. But you shouldn't go crazy and have 50 open accounts. Obviously you want to have just enough. Anywhere between 7-9 accounts are good IMO.

so uhh apparently im eligible to get amex fees waived (SCRA) so i been comparing their cards but i still cant pull the trigger on which one.......my main criteria is access to airport lounges and acquiring miles, i dont really care about the other rewards since my Chase sapphire preferred covers alot of things already

Sounds like you want the Amex Platinum, because of the airport lounge access. Look through all the benefits offered from the platinum and see if the $450/year fee will be covered with your spending.

Have a question, I currently have a secured Cap 1 card. I was reading that I would have to close my secured card cuz they don't "graduate" you secured to unsecured which would ruin my credit history. is that true? I mean ive spent the last year building my score up pretty good, If I close this account, it will no longer be my longest open account on my credit file.
now I cant go unsecured while keeping my history with card? kinda crappy, can anyone shed light on this?

I've never used a secured card before, but I can't imagine why they can't keep that card on file. If I were you, I'd keep that account open and look to get a card from someone else. Capital One is a fairly new credit card company. Look to get a Chase card. They have arguably the best credit cards right now.

Last edited:
Have a question, I currently have a secured Cap 1 card. I was reading that I would have to close my secured card cuz they don't "graduate" you secured to unsecured which would ruin my credit history. is that true? I mean ive spent the last year building my score up pretty good, If I close this account, it will no longer be my longest open account on my credit file.
now I cant go unsecured while keeping my history with card? kinda crappy, can anyone shed light on this?
I've never used a secured card before, but I can't imagine why they can't keep that card on file. If I were you, I'd keep that account open and look to get a card from someone else. Capital One is a fairly new credit card company. Look to get a Chase card. They have arguably the best credit cards right now.
yea I might have to look into another company. im goin to keep using my secure for prolly another 6 months for more boost on the score before trying to jump on with an unsecured. thanks

And I figured out why I got denied. My credit score is a 541 :x. I've got a medical bill from Aug 2013 I forgot all about. It's like $600 and it went to collections. I don't have any info on the collections agency how do I go about paying it and getting this off my credit?

Your going to have to get someone to repair/remove it or go hit up that Medical facility and work something out but make sure you have record and written statement of them willing to remove it if you pay it off. That should be easy to get off.

Ive got a damn speeding ticket on my credit file which I paid off initially but "apparently" they have no record of me paying it so they sent it to collections so I paid it again (was only $161). They still havent removed it and are saying its going to stay there for 7 years. ***** I need to find that initial receipt and get that off unless credit repair can before :smh: .

Last edited:
So if I get the secured Discover card does the $150 cash back if I spend $750 still apply? Or is that only for the regular credit card?

Be careful... If u take that deal you hafta forgo the 15 months 0%... Devils n the details. You also hafta go through the specific link on slick deals or wherever else flamingo offers it.

I signed up for the 0% and called and *****ed before i ever even got the card and got the promotion tho so now i get both :smile: Discover coo in my book.

How high of income do you have to have to be approved for Amex card

I was making around 35000 when i got my first AMEX back in 2010.

It was this baby BTW :lol:

3 months later copped the gold.

vqrz2g.jpg

Your going to have to get someone to repair/remove it or go hit up that Medical facility and work something out but make sure you have record and written statement of them willing to remove it if you pay it off. That should be easy to get off.

Ive got a damn speeding ticket on my credit file which I paid off initially but "apparently" they have no record of me paying it so they sent it to collections so I paid it again (was only $161). They still havent removed it and are saying its going to stay there for 7 years. ***** I need to find that initial receipt and get that off unless credit repair can before :smh: .
Lexington Law.. They will remove it.

Is the Discover Student card easy to get? Im new to this credit thing and only have a Kohls Charge card but want something to use everywhere else

Back
Top Bottom