24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

Been a while since I check credit karma, didn't realize my combine credit limit is over 100k. Will be quite easy keeping the utilization low

How many credit cards do y'all have? And how many of y'all are in the 800 club ?
6 credits and a charge.  And not me 
frown.gif

I have about 5, but I only use 1 of them as my main card, the rest I may use it to swipe here and there randomly just to switch it up. I used to be in the 800 club, not anymore probably right below it lol. 

Last edited:
How many credit cards do y'all have? And how many of y'all are in the 800 club ?

3 Cards:
AMEX Everyday
Chase Freedom
1st Financial Bank aka as the worst credit card ever.

Going to have 4 cards once I apply for the Discover IT card on Fri.

I was in the 800 Club as recent as September but I used my CC to pay for my tuition.

Need a little advice...

I have three CC's and my score is right around 750.

Capital One Quicksilver One (trash)
Citi Double Cash (daily use)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (travel & dining)

The Capital One is the first and oldest card I have but is also the worst. It currently gets me 1.5% cash back and has a yearly fee of $39.
The yearly fee is a no no in my eyes so I called to ask for an upgrade to a card that has no fee. They said they had no offers at the time so I asked them to waive the yearly fee for now. After some back and forth they said all they could do is credit me $10 to bring the fee to $29.

Should I close this card and apply for a new one? or just let it ride for now?

Sidenote: Last year when they charged me the yearly fee I called and got it removed. I must not have been as convincing this time around.
Sidenote 2: I almost never use the Capital one card and I am assuming this is why I have no offers to upgrade.

Last edited:
^ I feel you on this, fam.

My oldest card is a CapOne card that charges me $20 annually around June/July. It's my oldest card at 4 years, but I haven't used it in 3 years. I had to go in person and waive the $20 fee for the past 2 years.

I'm gonna be closing it out in a few months because I already have 3 other CCs. My credit score will take a hit, but I'm not doing any significant borrowing anytime soon.

How old is your CapOne card?

Last edited:
Need a little advice...

I have three CC's and my score is right around 750.

Capital One Quicksilver One (trash)
Citi Double Cash (daily use)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (travel & dining)

The Capital One is the first and oldest card I have but is also the worst. It currently gets me 1.5% cash back and has a yearly fee of $39.
The yearly fee is a no no in my eyes so I called to ask for an upgrade to a card that has no fee. They said they had no offers at the time so I asked them to waive the yearly fee for now. After some back and forth they said all they could do is credit me $10 to bring the fee to $29.

Should I close this card and apply for a new one? or just let it ride for now?

Sidenote: Last year when they charged me the yearly fee I called and got it removed. I must not have been as convincing this time around.
Sidenote 2: I almost never use the Capital one card and I am assuming this is why I have no offers to upgrade.
If the CapOne is the oldest card, it may drop your credit score if you close the account.   

How old is it, compared to the other cards?

is there any other program besides creditkarma that monitors your credit daily?

THAT SOMEONE ON HERE HAS USED before?

If the CapOne is the oldest card, it may drop your credit score if you close the account.   

How old is it, compared to the other cards?

You and Slighted are right, I think it will drop me a lot.

Cap One: 3 Years
Citi: 1 and half years
Chase: 4 months

^ I'm probably gonna get a lot of flak for this, but I say close it out.

Add another CC to your roster too. I recommend DiscoverIT or Fidelity.

Last edited:
^ I'm probably gonna get a lot of flak for this, but I say close it out.

Add another CC to your roster too. I recommend DiscoverIT or Fidelity.

It stays on your report for 10years. I closed my oldest card on accident and didn't see a drop at all.

Just close it out if you aren't using it and don't want to pay.

Opening another card will bring your AAoA way down though.

It stays on your report for 10years. I closed my oldest card on accident and didn't see a drop at all.

Just close it out if you aren't using it and don't want to pay.

Opening another card will bring your AAoA way down though.

This. Only thing you should be cautious of when closing a card is your utilization percent after you close it.

was approved for the chase sapphire reserve last week and received the card the other day, this joint is nice :pimp:

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/how-average-age-of-accounts-is-calculated-affects-your-credit-score/

There are three important take aways to remember:
This doesn’t mean you should pay annual fees on credit cards just to keep an account open. Instead what you should do is this:
  • Call and see if they will waive the annual fee or offer a retention bonus
  • If this is not possible, ask to downgrade to a no annual fee card. Make sure that this isn’t a new credit inquiry and that you’ll keep the account age.

524 wit a 1500+ medical bill 
sick.gif
 i feel like theres no hope 
mean.gif

getting a secured card would be the 1st step in getting myself together right? 
nerd.gif

Need your advice NT.

Was out of work for a few months (got hurt) ran thru some savings and had to use a Amex to basically survive.

Currently sitting at around 5K in debt on the Amex and finally found a job (phew).

Question is now, is there a card out there where I can transfer the balance of the amex to with maybe 0% interest so I can work on paying that off asap?

My credit is currently sitting in the 720/750 range.

Appreciate it guys.

Back
Top Bottom