2k3-4 Lakers

I wasn't a member of NT in 2004, what was the initial NT reaction when this team assembled? Was it like the Heat?

la+lakers.jpeg
837201.jpg

How was it after they lost in the finals? This had to be on off the most stacked starting 5 in NBA history any other better?

[table][tr][td]8[/td][td]Kobe Bryant[/td][td]G[/td][td]6-6[/td][td]200[/td][td]August 23, 1978[/td][td]7[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]Maurice Carter[/td][td]G[/td][td]6-5[/td][td]210[/td][td]October 12, 1976[/td][td]R[/td][td]Louisiana State University[/td][/tr][tr][td]7[/td][td]Brian Cook[/td][td]F[/td][td]6-9[/td][td]234[/td][td]December 4, 1980[/td][td]R[/td][td]University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign[/td][/tr][tr][td]2[/td][td]Derek Fisher[/td][td]G[/td][td]6-1[/td][td]200[/td][td]August 9, 1974[/td][td]7[/td][td]University of Arkansas at Little Rock[/td][/tr][tr][td]17[/td][td]Rick Fox[/td][td]F-G[/td][td]6-7[/td][td]230[/td][td]July 24, 1969[/td][td]12[/td][td]University of North Carolina[/td][/tr][tr][td]3[/td][td]Devean George[/td][td]G-F[/td][td]6-8[/td][td]220[/td][td]August 29, 1977[/td][td]4[/td][td]Augsburg College[/td][/tr][tr][td]54[/td][td]Horace Grant[/td][td]F-C[/td][td]6-10[/td][td]215[/td][td]July 4, 1965[/td][td]16[/td][td]Clemson University[/td][/tr][tr][td]11[/td][td]Karl Malone[/td][td]F[/td][td]6-9[/td][td]250[/td][td]July 24, 1963[/td][td]18[/td][td]Louisiana Tech University[/td][/tr][tr][td]14[/td][td]Stanislav Medvedenko[/td][td]F[/td][td]6-10[/td][td]250[/td][td]April 4, 1979[/td][td]3[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]34[/td][td]Shaquille O'Neal[/td][td]C[/td][td]7-1[/td][td]325[/td][td]March 6, 1972[/td][td]11[/td][td]Louisiana State University[/td][/tr][tr][td]12[/td][td]Jannero Pargo[/td][td]G[/td][td]6-1[/td][td]175[/td][td]September 22, 1979[/td][td]1[/td][td]University of Arkansas[/td][/tr][tr][td]20[/td][td]Gary Payton[/td][td]G[/td][td]6-4[/td][td]180[/td][td]July 23, 1968[/td][td]13[/td][td]Oregon State University[/td][/tr][tr][td]21[/td][td]Kareem Rush[/td][td]G[/td][td]6-6[/td][td]215[/td][td]October 30, 1980[/td][td]1[/td][td]University of Missouri[/td][/tr][tr][td]9[/td][td]Bryon Russell[/td][td]F[/td][td]6-7[/td][td]225[/td][td]December 31, 1970[/td][td]10[/td][td]California State University, Long Beach[/td][/tr][tr][td]31[/td][td]Jamal Sampson[/td][td]F-C[/td][td]6-11[/td][td]235[/td][td]May 15, 1983[/td][td]1[/td][td]University of California[/td][/tr][tr][td]5[/td][td]Ime Udoka[/td][td]F[/td][td]6-6[/td][td]215[/td][td]August 9, 1977[/td][td]R[/td][td]Portland State University[/td][/tr][tr][td]4[/td][td]Luke Walton[/td][td]F[/td][td]6-8[/td][td]235[/td][td]March 28, 1980[/td][td]R[/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]

I wasn't a member of NT in 2004, what was the initial NT reaction when this team assembled? Was it like the Heat?

la+lakers.jpeg
837201.jpg

How was it after they lost in the finals? This had to be on off the most stacked starting 5 in NBA history any other better?

[table][tr][td]8[/td][td]Kobe Bryant[/td][td]G[/td][td]6-6[/td][td]200[/td][td]August 23, 1978[/td][td]7[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]Maurice Carter[/td][td]G[/td][td]6-5[/td][td]210[/td][td]October 12, 1976[/td][td]R[/td][td]Louisiana State University[/td][/tr][tr][td]7[/td][td]Brian Cook[/td][td]F[/td][td]6-9[/td][td]234[/td][td]December 4, 1980[/td][td]R[/td][td]University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign[/td][/tr][tr][td]2[/td][td]Derek Fisher[/td][td]G[/td][td]6-1[/td][td]200[/td][td]August 9, 1974[/td][td]7[/td][td]University of Arkansas at Little Rock[/td][/tr][tr][td]17[/td][td]Rick Fox[/td][td]F-G[/td][td]6-7[/td][td]230[/td][td]July 24, 1969[/td][td]12[/td][td]University of North Carolina[/td][/tr][tr][td]3[/td][td]Devean George[/td][td]G-F[/td][td]6-8[/td][td]220[/td][td]August 29, 1977[/td][td]4[/td][td]Augsburg College[/td][/tr][tr][td]54[/td][td]Horace Grant[/td][td]F-C[/td][td]6-10[/td][td]215[/td][td]July 4, 1965[/td][td]16[/td][td]Clemson University[/td][/tr][tr][td]11[/td][td]Karl Malone[/td][td]F[/td][td]6-9[/td][td]250[/td][td]July 24, 1963[/td][td]18[/td][td]Louisiana Tech University[/td][/tr][tr][td]14[/td][td]Stanislav Medvedenko[/td][td]F[/td][td]6-10[/td][td]250[/td][td]April 4, 1979[/td][td]3[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]34[/td][td]Shaquille O'Neal[/td][td]C[/td][td]7-1[/td][td]325[/td][td]March 6, 1972[/td][td]11[/td][td]Louisiana State University[/td][/tr][tr][td]12[/td][td]Jannero Pargo[/td][td]G[/td][td]6-1[/td][td]175[/td][td]September 22, 1979[/td][td]1[/td][td]University of Arkansas[/td][/tr][tr][td]20[/td][td]Gary Payton[/td][td]G[/td][td]6-4[/td][td]180[/td][td]July 23, 1968[/td][td]13[/td][td]Oregon State University[/td][/tr][tr][td]21[/td][td]Kareem Rush[/td][td]G[/td][td]6-6[/td][td]215[/td][td]October 30, 1980[/td][td]1[/td][td]University of Missouri[/td][/tr][tr][td]9[/td][td]Bryon Russell[/td][td]F[/td][td]6-7[/td][td]225[/td][td]December 31, 1970[/td][td]10[/td][td]California State University, Long Beach[/td][/tr][tr][td]31[/td][td]Jamal Sampson[/td][td]F-C[/td][td]6-11[/td][td]235[/td][td]May 15, 1983[/td][td]1[/td][td]University of California[/td][/tr][tr][td]5[/td][td]Ime Udoka[/td][td]F[/td][td]6-6[/td][td]215[/td][td]August 9, 1977[/td][td]R[/td][td]Portland State University[/td][/tr][tr][td]4[/td][td]Luke Walton[/td][td]F[/td][td]6-8[/td][td]235[/td][td]March 28, 1980[/td][td]R[/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]

karl malone was 40
gp was 35

it was just like the heat............

karl malone was 40
gp was 35

i wasnt on NT either, but on the forums i did visit/real life/ESPN commentators, etc most people said those guys would provide veteran leadership but were too old to have a major impact. the team was still based on Shaq and Kobe. the Lakers WERE definitely favored to win that chip tho, no denying that.

i was on NT for the Celtics trades, and a lot of people were hating on those. but at the same time, it was easier to root for those guys because they were reaching the end of their careers and had put in plenty of work for their respective franchises. so teaming up to win a championship wasnt as bad.

i wasnt on NT either, but on the forums i did visit/real life/ESPN commentators, etc most people said those guys would provide veteran leadership but were too old to have a major impact. the team was still based on Shaq and Kobe. the Lakers WERE definitely favored to win that chip tho, no denying that.

i was on NT for the Celtics trades, and a lot of people were hating on those. but at the same time, it was easier to root for those guys because they were reaching the end of their careers and had put in plenty of work for their respective franchises. so teaming up to win a championship wasnt as bad.

i remember a quarter way into the season. I was listening to ESPN radio, and Tony Bruno was like, just finish up the season and give the Lakers the championship. Which a lot of people agreed with.

i remember a quarter way into the season. I was listening to ESPN radio, and Tony Bruno was like, just finish up the season and give the Lakers the championship. Which a lot of people agreed with.

Originally Posted by 2o6

karl malone was 40
gp was 35

they were still both coming off 20/8 seasons, though.
thats quite an impact when youre talking about your 3 and 4 guys

Originally Posted by 2o6

karl malone was 40
gp was 35

they were still both coming off 20/8 seasons, though.
thats quite an impact when youre talking about your 3 and 4 guys

I wasn't on NT but it definitely made them the undisputed favorites in the league...

But in no way did it make them anything like the Heat... Nor did the Celtics resemble the Heat.. You are talking about a 13 year veteran, and an 18 year vet, who are wayyyyyyyyyyyyy past their prime, joining a team for league minimum in one case, and a third of what he was getting in another.. If it was GP & Karl of 1998 joining the Lakers of Shaq & Kobe then it would be like the Heat.. Old players chasing a ring for one last chance in a kind of pitiful display of trying to cement a legacy is far less egregious... That's why no one gives Alonzo Mourning %@!# about what he did to the Raptors in 2006 (that and because everyone likes him generally)... Or why Boston's Big 3 doesn't get mention or nearly as much hate as Miami did because KG was in his 13th season, Ray Allen 12th, and PP his 10th... Who all had lost a step and could clearly not lead a team as the lone guy to a championship

The Heat are 3 players in their prime... In the top 5 in each of their positions (I say top 5 because of Bosh)... Joining together.. One of which in the worst public displays of ego-centrism in sports.. Even then if Bosh just joined Wade in MIA.. Or if Bosh joined Bron in Cle.. Or if Bron went to NY with Amare (and did not do the decision) there would hardly have been the amount of justified and non justified contempt for the move..

I wasn't on NT but it definitely made them the undisputed favorites in the league...

But in no way did it make them anything like the Heat... Nor did the Celtics resemble the Heat.. You are talking about a 13 year veteran, and an 18 year vet, who are wayyyyyyyyyyyyy past their prime, joining a team for league minimum in one case, and a third of what he was getting in another.. If it was GP & Karl of 1998 joining the Lakers of Shaq & Kobe then it would be like the Heat.. Old players chasing a ring for one last chance in a kind of pitiful display of trying to cement a legacy is far less egregious... That's why no one gives Alonzo Mourning %@!# about what he did to the Raptors in 2006 (that and because everyone likes him generally)... Or why Boston's Big 3 doesn't get mention or nearly as much hate as Miami did because KG was in his 13th season, Ray Allen 12th, and PP his 10th... Who all had lost a step and could clearly not lead a team as the lone guy to a championship

The Heat are 3 players in their prime... In the top 5 in each of their positions (I say top 5 because of Bosh)... Joining together.. One of which in the worst public displays of ego-centrism in sports.. Even then if Bosh just joined Wade in MIA.. Or if Bosh joined Bron in Cle.. Or if Bron went to NY with Amare (and did not do the decision) there would hardly have been the amount of justified and non justified contempt for the move..

scott_williams_headshot_110.JPG

The Lakers were 18-5 until Scott Williams ran into Karl Malone's knee in December, which he later re-injured in the playoffs.
mad.gif

scott_williams_headshot_110.JPG

The Lakers were 18-5 until Scott Williams ran into Karl Malone's knee in December, which he later re-injured in the playoffs.
mad.gif

Payton was pure trash that year and Malone tore something in his knee. Kobe also had the rape thing that summer. 

Payton was pure trash that year and Malone tore something in his knee. Kobe also had the rape thing that summer. 

everyone had the lakers winning it all in the preseason. i remember they were calling devean george the fifth beatle, lol. they took a big hit when malone injured his knee and he never got injured in his career, so it was serious. also, kobe went through the whole rape thing.

before the finals, people had the lakers winning easily. even when the pistons took gm1 and pushed the lakers to ot in gm2, there was a feeling that the lakers would take care of business in detroit and win it in 5or6.

once the lakers lost, the lakers (and kobe especially) was getting killed on NT. they should have given shaq the ball every possession. he shot a ridiculous pct, while kobe was STRUGGLING with the pistons defense and taking bad shots.

everyone had the lakers winning it all in the preseason. i remember they were calling devean george the fifth beatle, lol. they took a big hit when malone injured his knee and he never got injured in his career, so it was serious. also, kobe went through the whole rape thing.

before the finals, people had the lakers winning easily. even when the pistons took gm1 and pushed the lakers to ot in gm2, there was a feeling that the lakers would take care of business in detroit and win it in 5or6.

once the lakers lost, the lakers (and kobe especially) was getting killed on NT. they should have given shaq the ball every possession. he shot a ridiculous pct, while kobe was STRUGGLING with the pistons defense and taking bad shots.

other than that clutch three, Kobe was terrible in that series. like Westbrook bad.

other than that clutch three, Kobe was terrible in that series. like Westbrook bad.

I thought LAL would sweep DET after brown explicitly said before the series, "We aint doubling shaq." Unfortunately for LAL, the big fella inexplicably didn't get the ball enough

Back
Top Bottom