7. Long Live the Kane by Big Daddy Kane
  8. By All Means Necessary by Boogie Down Productions
  9. Strictly Business by EPMD
  10. Straight Out the Jungle by The Jungle Brothers
  11. Straight Outta Compton by N.W.A.
  12. It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back by Public Enemy
  13. The Great Adventures of Slick Rick by Slick Rick
  14. Critical Beatdown by Ultramagnetic MCs
  15. No One Can Do It Better by The D.O.C.
  16. Grip It! On That Other Level by Geto Boys
  17. People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm by A Tribe Called Quest
  18. One For All by Brand Nubian
  19. Let the Rhythm Hit 'Em by Eric B. & Rakim
  20. AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted by Ice Cube
  21. Breaking Atoms by Main Source
  22. The Low End Theory by A Tribe Called Quest
  23. De La Soul Is Dead by De La Soul
  24. Death Certificate by Ice Cube
  25. The Chronic by Dr. Dre
  26. Doggystyle by Snoop Doggy Dogg
  27. Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) by Wu-Tang Clan
  28. Illmatic by Nas
  29. Ready to Die by The Notorious B.I.G.
  30. The Diary by Scarface
  31. The Infamous by Mobb Deep
  32. Only Built 4 Cuban Linx by Raekwon
  33. Liquid Swords by GZA
  34. Me Against the World by 2Pac
  35. The Score by The Fugees
  36. Reasonable Doubt by Jay-Z
  37. All Eyez on Me by 2Pac
  38. Life After Death by The Notorious B.I.G.
  39. Aquemini by Outkast
  40. The Chronic 2001 by Dr. Dre
  41. Stillmatic by Nas
  42. The Blueprint by Jay-Z
  43. The Fix by Scarface
  44. The Naked Truth by Lil Kim

They all make sense, with the exception of probabaly Lil Kim's album, Scarface, All Eyes On Me and the last 2 Nas and Jay albums

Wondering why they didn't give Makaveli 5 mics tho . . . I'm feeling that more than any other Pac album (but then again I'm an east coast head)

Some %%$% just isn't "Hip Hop Classic" material tho . . . I would prolly catagorize it at "Classic Hip Hop", so I ain't gonnaargue that %%$% like Black Moon's Enta Da Stage, or an album like Soul On Ice isn't on here either (a lot of others) . . . When you look at the fullbody of work when considering weather or not an album is a classic, the impact plays a major role, some albums tho great musically, had little to no impact onthe bigger picture in hip hop.

Also a classic album has to have a great deal of classic records, songs that just stand out on there own . . . Thats prolly why Illmatic is considered theGreatest Hip Hop Album of all time, because of the 9 actual songs 8 of them are flat out hip hop classics all by themselves (with the exception of "OneTime For Ya Mind"), and thats all on one disc, to me an album is gonna need ATLEAST 5 songs that stand out in the big picture of hip hop by themselves,and its still gonna need a lot of help for me to truly buy into it being a classic.

The Naked Truth by Lil' Kim
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

They can go kill themselves.

My brother played that D.O.C tape till it popped & then popped another one. Classic indeed.
They are right in that Critical Beatdown has been forgotten over time (I don't know why though).
By All Means is still not as good as Edutainment, Boom Bap or his self titled joint IMO.
Breaking Atoms should be required listening.

My brother played that D.O.C tape till it popped & then popped another one. Classic indeed.
My mom bought me that tape prolly around 1990 . . . I listened to it off and on until around 96

So no Eminem albums were classics?

Get Rich Or Die Tryin' isn't a classic?

No wonder The Source is about to go out of print.

I have 41 of these albums. That Lil' Kim makes me think why? like 1st of all Hardcore is better than The Naked Truth
smh.gif
(I deleted TNT off my comp afta a few spins) and I just don't have TheScore anymore, shame on me.

Im not even tryin to argue with this list but why da # 43? and why do they have the right rappers but clearly other albums in their catalog are better?

With what you sayin Nay bout albums they just don't mention somebody needs to make a 50 Hip Hop Classic Albums YOU didn't Know are CLASSIC. Stupiddudes stay mentionin the same albums, I see no Masta Ace, Madvillian, or Ghostface(Should be another De La Soul album). Wikipedia's important hip hop albumlist is more impressive than this just cuz its wikipedia

smokin.gif

Alot of those albums were originally given less than 5 mics and were changed later on.

Most were 4/4.5, like OB4CL (4.5), Ready To Die (4.5), The Infamous (4.5), Reasonable Doubt (4), ATLiens (4), etc...

Originally Posted by TCW 96

So no Eminem albums were classics?

Get Rich Or Die Tryin' isn't a classic?

No wonder The Source is about to go out of print.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Naw but they wrote an article in the 200th issue on why "Get Rich OrDie Trying" wasn't a classic . . . Matter of fact, this is what they said
375x375
Get Rich Or Die Trying
(G Unit/Shady/Aftermath/Interscope, 2003)
4 Mics, April 2003

From the instant you hear the trademark sound of a coin dropping before the fiery first track "What Up Gangsta," it becomes obvious why 50 Cent was considered the hottest commodity in the streets since crack. Seemingly addressing each member of his street court in one swoop while thunderous drums crash behind him, 50 sets the tone for the rest of the album. Breezing smoothly over beats from talented producers, including the albums overseers, Dr. Dre and Eminem, 50 analyzes his life through the eyes of a wounded street soldier. From the passionate rationalizations of "Many Men (Wish Death)" to the braggadocio of the smash single "In Da Club", the Queens native delivers his consistent brand of 'hood-certified but commercially viable music. Truthfully, Get Rich is everything that an artists debut -and a 5 mic classic - should be: banging beats, powerful lyrics and a coherent theme. However, for a debut, the album is too long, and 50s nihilistic, "##*! the world and your mama too" attitudes are repititive. The albums romanticism over guitar-laden melodies on "21 Questions", Get Rich offers little sense of hope or a practical blueorint on how to, well, get rich.
They also included why College Dropout, BE, Black Album, The Documentary, and Spekerboxxx/The Love Below wern't "Classics".

From the instant you hear the trademark sound of a coin dropping before the fiery first track "What Up Gangsta," it becomes obvious why 50 Cent was considered the hottest commodity in the streets since crack. Seemingly addressing each member of his street court in one swoop while thunderous drums crash behind him, 50 sets the tone for the rest of the album. Breezing smoothly over beats from talented producers, including the albums overseers, Dr. Dre and Eminem, 50 analyzes his life through the eyes of a wounded street soldier. From the passionate rationalizations of "Many Men (Wish Death)" to the braggadocio of the smash single "In Da Club", the Queens native delivers his consistent brand of 'hood-certified but commercially viable music. Truthfully, Get Rich is everything that an artists debut -and a 5 mic classic - should be: banging beats, powerful lyrics and a coherent theme. However, for a debut, the album is too long, and 50s nihilistic, "##*! the world and your mama too" attitudes are repititive. The albums romanticism over guitar-laden melodies on "21 Questions", Get Rich offers little sense of hope or a practical blueorint on how to, well, get rich.
HORRIBLE REASONING. THE ALBUM IS TOO LONG??? #%$! OUTTA HERE WITH THAT.
roll.gif

THE SOURCE IS A JOKE.

95 percent of those albums were better than get rich or die trying
and on Eminem
he may be a modern classic
but look at the names on the list
the sound of eminems music
doesnt match the defintion of the
"classic" rap period.

They should have made We Can't Be Stopped (Geto Boys) a 5 mic album. if they did Scarface would have 4 (5 mic albums).

Originally Posted by Enlightened Thought

HORRIBLE REASONING. THE ALBUM IS TOO LONG??? #%$! OUTTA HERE WITH THAT

it's not horrible reasoning...they did say that it got repetitive because of its lengthy-ness.

No.

READING IS FUN-DA-MENTAL!

THEY SAID IT WAS TOO LONG FOR A DEBUT ALBUM...THEY SAID HIS CHOICE OF TOPICS AND IDEAS WERE REPETITIVE.
SEE FOR YOURSELF:
However, for a debut, the album is too long, and 50s nihilistic, "##*! the world and your mama too" attitudes are repititive.

Originally Posted by sneakergod1126

Out of those albums how many were revised later on? i remember having the magazine but i can't find it.

I know "The Chronic" was one of them that was changed to 5 mics after it dropped. Cant remember the other one.

For the most part that list is on point.

42/44 Albums that recieved the coveted 5 mic rating from The Source Mag

eyes.gif
Honestly, if I was a rapper I wouldn't give a flying %%** about the rating that The Source gave me....

Back
Top Bottom