47 Ronin (Film) - Starring: Keanu Reeves, Rinko Kikuchi, Hiroyuki Sanada - In Theaters 12/25/13

:lol: was there no bankable Asian star? I believe he's half Asian but seriously....there wasn't a top quality more Japanese looking actor for this?

essentially this is a fantasy version of The Last Samurai. Starring a white dude to save all the asians

will watch 
pimp.gif

Whoa... Looks kinda cool.  Don't know about that CGI lookin dragon though.  Hopefully it's rated R.  And yea it would of been more legit if they got a Japanese guy to play the lead.  I never read the comic though.  I might have to check it out.  

Donnie yen needs to do another ip man movie

I'm sorry if I'm derailing the thread OP. I don't mean too. You should just change this into the Asian film thread. :D

If you liked IP Man, there's another movie coming out telling his story called The Grand Master directed by Wong Kar-wai who does amazing & diverse work... Should be coming out within the next few weeks. Might even be available for rental on iTunes or VOD.

International trailer with English subtitles.

US trailer

This movie looks amazing.... :pimp:

This Keanu movie looks typical.....

What bothered me about the footage I saw in the trailer is the producers turned this into a mystical/fantasy movie. The tale of the 47 Ronin is an old Japanese legend based on an event that occurred in history which was embellished over the hundreds of years. This tale didn't involve a dragon lady or mythological creatures. This movie looks like absolute crap to me...

If you wanna see good fairily recent Samurai movies instead of this schlock, I'd suggest the following. If you really want to go deep, then I'd suggest Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. It not only inspired the likes of Lucas, Speilberg, & Coppola, it's pretty much the basis for many of the westerns that came out after it debuted (most notably The Magnificent Seven starring Steve McQueen & Yul Brenner)

The Twilight Samurai that happens to star 47 Ronin's Hiroyuki Sanada & The Hidden Blade done by the same director.

13 Assassins

it looks like a 300 version of the original. I wonder if they downplayed the blood because its a greenband trailer or if there will be any heavy violence at all.

If you wanna watch a decent doc & learn a bit about Samurai history, this doc hosted coincidently by Mark Dacascos. It originally aired on The History Channel back in 2009.

Dacascos is a bit mellow dramatic, but there is some good info in the doc that is presented in an easy to follow format.

BTW, Dacascos was in a decent genre bending movie allied Brotherhood of the Wolf...

Last edited:
saw this with my family, it actually wasnt 14% bad - sure theres some bad acting and it took a very long pace to get moving, but it was still an entertaining movie.

A friend of mine saw an advance screening of this movie & sad this movie was terrible.

:lol: He said if your an environmentalist, you should protest this movie because it was a waste of the carbon footprint it created.

Back
Top Bottom