48÷2(9+3) = ???

The power of the parenthesis 
pimp.gif

Like homie said last page (and others within this thread) it's a poorly written problem.

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

Originally Posted by Biggie62

I honestly don't know how to explain it to the people who don't understand how we get 2. I just know that when I see a problem like that I automatically distribute and then go after the order of operations. It's just something that has been instilled in my head after years of math, econ, and finance classes. I can't explain it to you why I do it like that in all honesty.

we know how youre getting 2 and we just happen to disagree, distribution is a product of pemdas... PEMD>AS

48 + 2(9+3) ... distribute
48 - 2(9+3) ... distribute

48 ÷ 2(9+3) ... dont distribute... follow order of operations

actually you follow the order of operations in all three examples.

in examples 1 and 2, you do inside parenthesis first, then multiply (notice i didn't say distribute, as you add the numbers in the parenthesis before multiplying), then add/subtract

example 3 has been explained ad naseum, but all 3 examples follow the order of operations...not sure what your argument is here.

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by Biggie62

I honestly don't know how to explain it to the people who don't understand how we get 2. I just know that when I see a problem like that I automatically distribute and then go after the order of operations. It's just something that has been instilled in my head after years of math, econ, and finance classes. I can't explain it to you why I do it like that in all honesty.

we know how youre getting 2 and we just happen to disagree, distribution is a product of pemdas... PEMD>AS

48 + 2(9+3) ... distribute
48 - 2(9+3) ... distribute

48 ÷ 2(9+3) ... dont distribute... follow order of operations

in examples 1 and 2, you do inside parenthesis first, then multiply (notice i didn't say distribute, as you add the numbers in the parenthesis before multiplying), then add/subtract

example 3 has been explained ad naseum, but all 3 examples follow the order of operations...not sure what your argument is here.

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by Air ih Zona

I used to get 288 now I got 2 wt f?
not sure if you're serious or trollin'...but if you're serious, you are the first 288 to 2 convert in an 80 page thread.

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by Air ih Zona

I used to get 288 now I got 2 wt f?
not sure if you're serious or trollin'...but if you're serious, you are the first 288 to 2 convert in an 80 page thread.

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by waystinthyme

youre misunderstanding me, distribution is a product of order-of-operations, but people are treating it like its its own rule, its not

what you call "order-of-operations" is the same thing as distribution in those first two cases

there is no need to 'distribute' in any of the problems you listed...please work one out step by step, so i can see where you're 'distributing'.

because its the SAME thing

youre misunderstanding me, distribution is a product of order-of-operations, but people are treating it like its its own rule, its not

what you call "order-of-operations" is the same thing as distribution in those first two cases

there is no need to 'distribute' in any of the problems you listed...please work one out step by step, so i can see where you're 'distributing'.

because its the SAME thing

-waystinthyme

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by do work son

i asked an on campus calculus tutor and he says 2. he said if the answer were to be 288 the problem would have to be written as (48/2)(9+3). he then said, yall are misinterpreting the parenthesis rule. the parenthesis rule in PEMDAS is not satisfied until you multiply the 2. by changing 48/2(12) to 48/2*(12) you are manipulating the problem. the reason multiplying isn't breaking order of operation is because it is being done to satisfy the Parenthesis step in PEMDAS. then you get 48/24=2

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

2(7-3)2

solve that with your interpretation of "parentheses" in PEMDAS

youre, the one thats manipulating the problem, giving special preference to that 2 thats outside the parentheses when there shouldnt be

would love to see an answer and explanation to this problem by the 2 crew...

-waystinthyme

+ 1

if the 2 is included with the parentheses, it should be multiplied to the 4 before the exponent is done correct?

P -> E

i asked an on campus calculus tutor and he says 2. he said if the answer were to be 288 the problem would have to be written as (48/2)(9+3). he then said, yall are misinterpreting the parenthesis rule. the parenthesis rule in PEMDAS is not satisfied until you multiply the 2. by changing 48/2(12) to 48/2*(12) you are manipulating the problem. the reason multiplying isn't breaking order of operation is because it is being done to satisfy the Parenthesis step in PEMDAS. then you get 48/24=2

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

2(7-3)2

solve that with your interpretation of "parentheses" in PEMDAS

youre, the one thats manipulating the problem, giving special preference to that 2 thats outside the parentheses when there shouldnt be

would love to see an answer and explanation to this problem by the 2 crew...

-waystinthyme

+ 1

if the 2 is included with the parentheses, it should be multiplied to the 4 before the exponent is done correct?

P -> E

-waystinthyme

youre NOT understanding me, in those first two cases, "distribution" and "order of operations" are the same thing

because distribution just happens to apply to those first two cases (addition and subtraction), people seem to think it applies to the third case (division) BUT it doesnt, thats how theyre winding up with 2 as the answer

-waystinthyme

youre NOT understanding me, in those first two cases, "distribution" and "order of operations" are the same thing

because distribution just happens to apply to those first two cases (addition and subtraction), people seem to think it applies to the third case (division) BUT it doesnt, thats how theyre winding up with 2 as the answer

yeah, i don't understand what you're saying...but after re-reading your post i see you're team 288, which is what matters here anyway.

-waystinthyme

yeah, i don't understand what you're saying...but after re-reading your post i see you're team 288, which is what matters here anyway.

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

the problem doesnt read 48/2(9+3), it reads 48÷2(9+3).

the same way you say that i assume because i added another set of parenthesis, i say you're assuming by adding parenthesis to make it (48÷2)(9+3).
my point is: there is a division sign, not a /. when you change it from  ÷ to a / you open up a venue for misinterpretation(whether its 48/2 times (9+3) or if it is 48 divided by 2(9+3) ), which in my opinion, is where the 288 believers have been led astray.
THE DIVISION SYMBOL DOES NOT SEPERATE FRACTIONS. Only a horizontal line indicates a fraction. Im not adding a parenthesis because its not needed if you go by order of operations you will get the answer. You cant find any evidence of the division symbol indicating a complete fraction for an equation. Im giving you the opportunity now to find proof of your belief. Obviously if you cant find proof your belief is false.

The irony of your screenname.

You're doing a little too much work.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom