48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by Klipschorn

Originally Posted by CertifiedSW

Originally Posted by chickhien

48/2(9+3)=
48/(18+6)=
48/24=

Do you see how, by distributing, you are multiplying first therefore not following order of operations? Distributing = Multiplying 
For 2(9+3) to = (18+6) you have to multiply by 2 which does not work.

You have to add what is inside the parentheses first. From there let's see if you can solve the problem correctly

48/2(12) = ???

Spoiler [+]

Spoiler [+]
If they want to distribute the 2 into the parenthesis, they must also distribute the 48/2 in.  48/2 is one problem, multiplying another problem which is (9+3)/1.  You read from left to right.

TEAM288 Represent.
you wouldn't distribute 48/2 because it isnt one singular term. its separated by the division sign. nothing separates 2 and (9+3). you're making this too difficult by assuming a multiplication problem of 48/2 and (9+3) when that isn't the case. there isn't even a multiplication symbol in the problem. the OG problem has a division problem. the multiplication occurs in the context of the denominator to simplify it.

you separate all terms first, apply PEMDAS to each individual term, put the simplified terms back into the context of the OG problem, then complete PEMDAS again to get your answer.

since 48 is as simple as can be, you leave it alone. you then simplify 2(9+3) and get (24). now that this (24) is completely simplified, you remove the parenthesis.

then you take each term and place it back in the OG problem, separated by the same signs they were in the OG problem.

[h3]48÷24=2
[/h3]

Originally Posted by CertifiedSW

Originally Posted by chickhien

48/2(9+3)=
48/(18+6)=
48/24=

Do you see how, by distributing, you are multiplying first therefore not following order of operations? Distributing = Multiplying 
For 2(9+3) to = (18+6) you have to multiply by 2 which does not work.

You have to add what is inside the parentheses first. From there let's see if you can solve the problem correctly

48/2(12) = ???

Spoiler [+]

Spoiler [+]
If they want to distribute the 2 into the parenthesis, they must also distribute the 48/2 in.  48/2 is one problem, multiplying another problem which is (9+3)/1.  You read from left to right.

TEAM288 Represent.
you wouldn't distribute 48/2 because it isnt one singular term. its separated by the division sign. nothing separates 2 and (9+3). you're making this too difficult by assuming a multiplication problem of 48/2 and (9+3) when that isn't the case. there isn't even a multiplication symbol in the problem. the OG problem has a division problem. the multiplication occurs in the context of the denominator to simplify it.

you separate all terms first, apply PEMDAS to each individual term, put the simplified terms back into the context of the OG problem, then complete PEMDAS again to get your answer.

since 48 is as simple as can be, you leave it alone. you then simplify 2(9+3) and get (24). now that this (24) is completely simplified, you remove the parenthesis.

then you take each term and place it back in the OG problem, separated by the same signs they were in the OG problem.

[h3]48÷24=2
[/h3]

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

TEAM288 Represent.
agree wholeheartedly
but can you show that work(distributing the 48/2), I couldn't do it last night 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by snakeyes17

Since you & others seem to keep ignoring this.
Yes, you can apply distribution. Distribution is an act of multiplication.
BUT they are not truly applicable to the problem at hand.
That last example is not correct. You would ge
t z ÷ [X(a+b)].
If you had Z
÷X(a+b) , the distribution is an act of multiplication.
BUT there is division first.
In that example, you would be distributing [Z
÷X(a)]+[Z÷X(b)]
THAT IS HOW DISTRIBUTION WORKS!
There is division first. It has to be included in this distribution.
IT IS FACT.

[48
÷2(9)]+[48÷2(3)]
That is how you distribute. You follow order of operations, division and then multiplication within each bracket.
[24(9)]+[24(3)]
216+72 = 288

TEAM288 REPRESENT.

TEAM288 Represent.
agree wholeheartedly
but can you show that work(distributing the 48/2), I couldn't do it last night 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by snakeyes17

Since you & others seem to keep ignoring this.
Yes, you can apply distribution. Distribution is an act of multiplication.
BUT they are not truly applicable to the problem at hand.
That last example is not correct. You would ge
t z ÷ [X(a+b)].
If you had Z
÷X(a+b) , the distribution is an act of multiplication.
BUT there is division first.
In that example, you would be distributing [Z
÷X(a)]+[Z÷X(b)]
THAT IS HOW DISTRIBUTION WORKS!
There is division first. It has to be included in this distribution.
IT IS FACT.

[48
÷2(9)]+[48÷2(3)]
That is how you distribute. You follow order of operations, division and then multiplication within each bracket.
[24(9)]+[24(3)]
216+72 = 288

TEAM288 REPRESENT.

Originally Posted by Mo Greene

Originally Posted by kingcrux31

Originally Posted by NikeVandal

youre being ignorant for all you know im saying a compliment and saying most pinoys are balling because they got a proper education and took notes in their math class to succeed in life

and youre just one of those who didnt pay attention in class and day dreamed
grin.gif
I didn't know that not paying attention in class and day dreaming can get you a bachelor's degree in International Business Management. (with honors at that)
eyes.gif

You'll never see a problem written Ã·(2(9+3)) because you never divide AND multiply. 

Now who's the ignorant one?

yea you do.  look i just wrote a problem:
48÷(2(9+3))

48÷(2(12))

48÷(24)

Obvious troll is obvious.
TROLL.

"Oh yeah divide AND multiply that pizza into six slices."

"Gremlins multiply AND divide when they touch water."

Smart, really smart.

Originally Posted by Mo Greene

Originally Posted by kingcrux31

youre being ignorant for all you know im saying a compliment and saying most pinoys are balling because they got a proper education and took notes in their math class to succeed in life

and youre just one of those who didnt pay attention in class and day dreamed
grin.gif
I didn't know that not paying attention in class and day dreaming can get you a bachelor's degree in International Business Management. (with honors at that)
eyes.gif

You'll never see a problem written Ã·(2(9+3)) because you never divide AND multiply. 

Now who's the ignorant one?

yea you do.  look i just wrote a problem:
48÷(2(9+3))

48÷(2(12))

48÷(24)

Obvious troll is obvious.
TROLL.

"Oh yeah divide AND multiply that pizza into six slices."

"Gremlins multiply AND divide when they touch water."

Smart, really smart.

Originally Posted by Not a sneak

When you do the parentheses you do anything attached to the parentheses in the same step.

so you'd do 2(9+3) before moving on to the division ..

in PEMDAS you always do the P first, anything attached to the P is also included in the first initial step.

answer 2
/thread.

BY your logic you are contradicting yourself

if you follow PEMDAS THE 2 ISNT ATTACHED TO THE DAMN (9+3) or else it would say (2(9+3)

2(9+3) equals 2(12)

and since theres a division sign before it you divide by 2 first than multiply as distributing is the same as multiplying...

and the logical order is left to right

ITS THE RULES OF MATH  just cause you losing by 5 you cant say a 3pt shot is worth 6 points stop being salty about it

its the fundamentals of mathematics you can argue all you want but you cant support it with any fact

When you do the parentheses you do anything attached to the parentheses in the same step.

in PEMDAS you always do the P first, anything attached to the P is also included in the first initial step.

answer 2
/thread.

if you follow PEMDAS THE 2 ISNT ATTACHED TO THE DAMN (9+3) or else it would say (2(9+3)

2(9+3) equals 2(12)

and since theres a division sign before it you divide by 2 first than multiply as distributing is the same as multiplying...

ITS THE RULES OF MATH  just cause you losing by 5 you cant say a 3pt shot is worth 6 points stop being salty about it

its the fundamentals of mathematics you can argue all you want but you cant support it with any fact

YOU CAN MULTIPLY THAN DIVIDE BY THAT

stop BEING IGNORANT 

IF I HAVE a tub of cookie dough and multiply it into 4 scoops

i can give 4 people  cookies or X amount of people can split 4 scoops...

your logic is invalid 
eyes.gif

stop BEING IGNORANT 

your logic is invalid 
eyes.gif

stop BEING IGNORANT 

your logic is invalid 
eyes.gif
THEN. Multiply THEN divide. Or divide THEN multiply. 
Never AND.

stop BEING IGNORANT 

your logic is invalid 
eyes.gif
THEN. Multiply THEN divide. Or divide THEN multiply. 
Never AND.

[48÷2(9)]+[48÷2(3)]
[24(9)]+[24(3)]
216+72 = 288
TEAM288 REPRESENT.

Thank you MathGod 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

hope this lulls Crux to sleep 
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

also, smh at not knowing the other night, was sleepy

[48÷2(9)]+[48÷2(3)]
[24(9)]+[24(3)]
216+72 = 288
TEAM288 REPRESENT.

Thank you MathGod 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

nerd.gif
nerd.gif

answer 2
/thread.

2(9+3) equals 2(12)

it doesn't have to say (2(9+3) its there without being there. I didn't make the rules, but when ever you have anything attached to a parentheses then it has to be applied to that term or you problem is invalid.
answer is 2. I'm sorry but youre wrong. Open up a 7th grade algebra book my dude. Anything attached to the parentheses is part of that term. 

answer 2
/thread.

2(9+3) equals 2(12)

it doesn't have to say (2(9+3) its there without being there. I didn't make the rules, but when ever you have anything attached to a parentheses then it has to be applied to that term or you problem is invalid.
answer is 2. I'm sorry but youre wrong. Open up a 7th grade algebra book my dude. Anything attached to the parentheses is part of that term. 

you can multiply and DIVIDE THO

MULTIPLYING THAN DIVIDING = AND

NOT OR

ITS EITHER AND/OR

I DID BOTH SO ITS AND not OR

you can multiply and DIVIDE THO

MULTIPLYING THAN DIVIDING = AND

NOT OR

ITS EITHER AND/OR

I DID BOTH SO ITS AND not OR

answer 2
/thread.

2(9+3) equals 2(12)

THIS ISNT ATTACHED TO THE DAMN PARENTHESES

THERES A DIVISION SIGN PRECEDING IT

I ASKED NUMEROUS MATH TEACHERS INCLUDING ALGEBRA TEACHERS AND 100% agreed on 288

2 is illogical and invalid it does not compute

Prove me wrong 

[48÷2(9)]+[48÷2(3)]
[24(9)]+[24(3)]
216+72 = 288
TEAM288 REPRESENT.
Thank you MathGod 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Distributing a number NOT DIRECTLY ATTACHED to ( ) is WRONG.

It's becoming more and more evident how many of you don't know what you're talking about.
laugh.gif

[48÷2(9)]+[48÷2(3)]
[24(9)]+[24(3)]
216+72 = 288
TEAM288 REPRESENT.
Thank you MathGod 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Distributing a number NOT DIRECTLY ATTACHED to ( ) is WRONG.

It's becoming more and more evident how many of you don't know what you're talking about.
laugh.gif

answer 2
/thread.

2(9+3) equals 2(12)

THIS ISNT ATTACHED TO THE DAMN PARENTHESES

THERES A DIVISION SIGN PRECEDING IT

I ASKED NUMEROUS MATH TEACHERS INCLUDING ALGEBRA TEACHERS AND 100% agreed on 288

2 is illogical and invalid it does not compute

Prove me wrong 

I completely forgot about my teacher in HS saying PEMDAS but M and D are interchangeable depending on which one came first. I remembered in the last page or 2 with a reminder

Those who haven't done math like this in a long time such as myself would make the mistake and say 2... ( which I did)

Props

I guarantee this would catch a lot of people on the first attempt

Back
Top Bottom