48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by ncmalko1

There is a difference between 48/2(9+3) and 48/2*(9+3)

48/2*(9+3) is saying 48/2**9+3 Parenthesis means to multiply and * means to multiply. You are incorrectly saying multiply two straight times.

the answer is 2

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

juxtaposition means multiplication not parenthesis. Parenthesis are only used to separate terms.

Originally Posted by ncmalko1

There is a difference between 48/2(9+3) and 48/2*(9+3)

48/2*(9+3) is saying 48/2**9+3 Parenthesis means to multiply and * means to multiply. You are incorrectly saying multiply two straight times.

the answer is 2

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

juxtaposition means multiplication not parenthesis. Parenthesis are only used to separate terms.

The problem was written to create this type of argument. As stated before, the problem is very poorly written. And the answer is 2.

The problem was written to create this type of argument. As stated before, the problem is very poorly written. And the answer is 2.

Answer: Order of operation

Rule 1: First perform any calculations inside parentheses.
Rule 2: Next perform all multiplications and divisions, working from left to right.
Rule 3: Lastly, perform all additions and subtractions, working from left to right.

Answer: Order of operation

Rule 1: First perform any calculations inside parentheses.
Rule 2: Next perform all multiplications and divisions, working from left to right.
Rule 3: Lastly, perform all additions and subtractions, working from left to right.

Originally Posted by selrahc123

Show your steps please so I can change your ways.

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

i asked an on campus calculus tutor and he says 2. he said if the answer were to be 288 the problem would have to be written as (48/2)(9+3). he then said, yall are misinterpreting the parenthesis rule. the parenthesis rule in PEMDAS is not satisfied until you multiply the 2. by changing 48/2(12) to 48/2*(12) you are manipulating the problem. the reason multiplying isn't breaking order of operation is because it is being done to satisfy the Parenthesis step in PEMDAS. then you get 48/24=2

i asked an on campus calculus tutor and he says 2. he said if the answer were to be 288 the problem would have to be written as (48/2)(9+3). he then said, yall are misinterpreting the parenthesis rule. the parenthesis rule in PEMDAS is not satisfied until you multiply the 2. by changing 48/2(12) to 48/2*(12) you are manipulating the problem. the reason multiplying isn't breaking order of operation is because it is being done to satisfy the Parenthesis step in PEMDAS. then you get 48/24=2

Originally Posted by do work son

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

2(7-3)2

solve that with your interpretation of "parentheses" in PEMDAS

youre, the one thats manipulating the problem, giving special preference to that 2 thats outside the parentheses when there shouldnt be

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

2(7-3)2

solve that with your interpretation of "parentheses" in PEMDAS

youre, the one thats manipulating the problem, giving special preference to that 2 thats outside the parentheses when there shouldnt be

48÷2(9+3)
48÷2(12)
24(12)

Answer would be 2 if it was written 48÷(2(9+3)). Could also argue that the answer would be 2 if it was given as 48/2(9+3) as this suggests that 2(9+3) is the denominator.

48÷2(9+3)
48÷2(12)
24(12)

Answer would be 2 if it was written 48÷(2(9+3)). Could also argue that the answer would be 2 if it was given as 48/2(9+3) as this suggests that 2(9+3) is the denominator.

So you are saying the website i posted was wrong and the answer was 9?

So you are saying the website i posted was wrong and the answer was 9?

The parenthesis is satisfied by completing what's inside of it. Once you leave the parenthesis you then go onto the rest of PEMDAS. You're having the parenthesis manipulate the problem by attaching it to numbers that aren't bounded by it. what are you talking about changing? 48/2(12) is the same as 48/2*(12).

Back
Top Bottom