48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by yungchris504

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

What are you talking about. I distributed the 2 to the 2 and 3. how about this to make it easier

10 x 2 (2+3)  = 10 x ( 2*2 + 2*3) = 10 x ( 4 +6)  = 10 x 10 = 100 (check again)
So now distribution goes before solving whats in the parenthesis?
What are you talking about?

I am not sure if you know that when you see communitive property with multiplication it always means distribution. The only time that isn't the case is if it is division inside the parenthesis or multiplication.

It does not matter the order (in this particular problem that has both communitive and distributive properties) I solve the problem it only matters that the answer is correct which I proved to you.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

So order of operations doesnt matter as long as the answer is right?

Look at the proper steps in the question you ALWAYS have to simplify whats in the parenthesis first before moving on. You are basically disagreeing with order of operations by doing anything else.

What are you talking about. I distributed the 2 to the 2 and 3. how about this to make it easier

I am not sure if you know that when you see communitive property with multiplication it always means distribution. The only time that isn't the case is if it is division inside the parenthesis or multiplication.

It does not matter the order (in this particular problem that has both communitive and distributive properties) I solve the problem it only matters that the answer is correct which I proved to you.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Look at the proper steps in the question you ALWAYS have to simplify whats in the parenthesis first before moving on. You are basically disagreeing with order of operations by doing anything else.

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

Originally Posted by do work son

so your saying 1/4*3 is really 1 over 4 times 3? proof to support this claim? Your essentially saying that the division symbol ALWAYS indicates a fraction which is not true at all. If that would be the case why even have the horizontal line for a fraction?
horizontal lines for fractions are division tho. the fraction of 1/4 is 1 divided by 4.

I already explained this:
Because if it's a fraction, you solve both different ways.
Fraction: solve denominator first, divide by numerator.
As is: Order of operations, parentheses, exponents, multiplication/division (whichever comes first from left to right), addition/subtraction (whichever comes first from left to right) in that order.
Solving the equation any other way would just be completely ignoring the rules altogether and just making up your own.

You would agree that

10 x 2(2+3) = 100 right and you would agree that you can distribute the 2 inside the parenthesis correct? what would happen if I replace the x with /. Does the order still change? Why can you not distribute the 2 now?

so your saying 1/4*3 is really 1 over 4 times 3? proof to support this claim? Your essentially saying that the division symbol ALWAYS indicates a fraction which is not true at all. If that would be the case why even have the horizontal line for a fraction?
horizontal lines for fractions are division tho. the fraction of 1/4 is 1 divided by 4.

As is: Order of operations, parentheses, exponents, multiplication/division (whichever comes first from left to right), addition/subtraction (whichever comes first from left to right) in that order.
Solving the equation any other way would just be completely ignoring the rules altogether and just making up your own.

You would agree that

10 x 2(2+3) = 100 right and you would agree that you can distribute the 2 inside the parenthesis correct? what would happen if I replace the x with /. Does the order still change? Why can you not distribute the 2 now?

You would agree that

Just because you get the right answer doesnt mean the way you achieved it is right. If you dont turn 2+3 into 5 first you are wrong. Please tell me what the P in Pemdas means.

You realize you MUST solve whats in the parenthesis first before trying to distribute right?

Dude, you are a disgrace to Team 2, which is already a disgraceful team to begin with. @#%+, @%#%, and STFD.

You realize you MUST solve whats in the parenthesis first before trying to distribute right?

Dude, you are a disgrace to Team 2, which is already a disgraceful team to begin with. @#%+, @%#%, and STFD.

You would agree that

Just because you get the right answer doesnt mean the way you achieved it is right. If you dont turn 2+3 into 5 first you are wrong. Please tell me what the P in Pemdas means.

You would agree that

10 x 2                 x 5 =100 just like............. 5 x 2 x 3 ...... and ..... 2 x 3 x 5 = 30

when using multiplication ONLY, it works like that.......... multiplication ONLY

our problem is NOT multiplication only, you cant apply multiplication only concepts to problems that ARENT multiplication only

You would agree that

That doesn't mean anything, because it is multiplication without division.
Change it to 10÷2(2+3). It is not 10÷10. It is 5(2+3). It is 25.
You can't distribute it like this.

You would agree that

10 x 2                 x 5 =100 just like............. 5 x 2 x 3 ...... and ..... 2 x 3 x 5 = 30

when using multiplication ONLY, it works like that.......... multiplication ONLY

our problem is NOT multiplication only, you cant apply multiplication only concepts to problems that ARENT multiplication only

You would agree that

That doesn't mean anything, because it is multiplication without division.
Change it to 10÷2(2+3). It is not 10÷10. It is 5(2+3). It is 25.
You can't distribute it like this.

I'd rather play in traffic than listen to team 2 try to explain how they got to their answer. Team 2 ain't even talking about the actual problem anymore cause they know they're wrong. Trying to justify they're right by saying the signs  matter and @#$#.
You're really about to sit there and say / and the division same aren't the same? As well as saying 2(12) isn't the same as 2 * 12? 

Terrible. 

This reply should end the thread:

LimitedRetroOG wrote:
People, YOU DON'T NEED TO GET RID OF THE PARENTHESIS. Parenthesis and x are equivalent! Get that through your head!

You would agree that

Dude, I don't know how many times I have to tell you this. The Distributive Property doesn't apply. Get that through your head.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

No you do not I really can't understand why this is so hard to understand. Please explain to me what I wrote is not right. I broke it down in steps.

10 x 2 (2+3)  = 10 x ( 2*2 + 2*3) = 10 x ( 4 +6)  = 10 x 10 = 100

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

No you do not I really can't understand why this is so hard to understand. Please explain to me what I wrote is not right. I broke it down in steps.

10 x 2 (2+3)  = 10 x ( 2*2 + 2*3) = 10 x ( 4 +6)  = 10 x 10 = 100

You would agree that

Dude, I don't know how many times I have to tell you this. The Distributive Property doesn't apply. Get that through your head.

I'd rather play in traffic than listen to team 2 try to explain how they got to their answer. Team 2 ain't even talking about the actual problem anymore cause they know they're wrong. Trying to justify they're right by saying the signs  matter and @#$#.
You're really about to sit there and say / and the division same aren't the same? As well as saying 2(12) isn't the same as 2 * 12? 

Terrible. 

LimitedRetroOG wrote:
People, YOU DON'T NEED TO GET RID OF THE PARENTHESIS. Parenthesis and x are equivalent! Get that through your head!

The only logical response is the answer is supposed to be 42, they just got the equation wrong.

The only logical response is the answer is supposed to be 42, they just got the equation wrong.

Originally Posted by CertifiedSW

Terrible. 

LimitedRetroOG wrote:

Word. Explaining this to Team 2 is like explaining to a White Supremacist that everybody is equal.

Back
Top Bottom