48÷2(9+3) = ???

I just want to be a part of history for pg. 100.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by yungchris504

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

Do I have to hold your hand and do it with you? Okay.

Parenthesis: 9+3 = 12. All that's left now is 48÷2(12)

No exponents.

Multiplication/division. Whichever is first from left to right. Which is first? Division. So, 48÷2=24. What's left? 24(12)

Okay, multiplication is up. 24(12)=24x12=288. Stop, don't you dare say 24(12)=/=24x12. If you are, don't bother replying.

I just broke down the exact equation for you. As is. 48÷2(9+3) Didn't have to change anything, unlike Team 2.
No One changed anything. I even wrote it with variables.

Let me write it so you understand

A + B = B + A (check)
(Xa + Xb) = X(a+b) (check)

Z ÷ (Xa + Xb) can we factor out the X yes we can ---> Z ÷ X(a+b)
eek.gif

++$ are you talking about?
Replace the Z with 48 the X with 2 and the A with 9 and B with 3 I am asking if I chose to go this route am I wrong. I come to the conclusion it is up to the person solving the question. It can be either assumed factorization is taking place or the 48 is to be divided by the 2. Whoever made this question up got their point across.

There's only one way to interpret this equation. ÷ means division. Juxtaposition means multiplication. + means addition. There's only one way to interpret it. The only reason why people say the equation is so confusing is cuz they're overanalyzing it and making it more difficult than it's supposed to be.

Do I have to hold your hand and do it with you? Okay.

Parenthesis: 9+3 = 12. All that's left now is 48÷2(12)

No exponents.

Multiplication/division. Whichever is first from left to right. Which is first? Division. So, 48÷2=24. What's left? 24(12)

Okay, multiplication is up. 24(12)=24x12=288. Stop, don't you dare say 24(12)=/=24x12. If you are, don't bother replying.

I just broke down the exact equation for you. As is. 48÷2(9+3) Didn't have to change anything, unlike Team 2.

A + B = B + A (check)

eek.gif

Replace the Z with 48 the X with 2 and the A with 9 and B with 3 I am asking if I chose to go this route am I wrong. I come to the conclusion it is up to the person solving the question. It can be either assumed factorization is taking place or the 48 is to be divided by the 2. Whoever made this question up got their point across.

There's only one way to interpret this equation. ÷ means division. Juxtaposition means multiplication. + means addition. There's only one way to interpret it. The only reason why people say the equation is so confusing is cuz they're overanalyzing it and making it more difficult than it's supposed to be.

Whatever y'all are saying has been said before. There's only so many things you can explain about this problem in 90 pages. Endless discussions ensue with either camp trying to prove their point only to be reset every time new posters enter the thread, making the cycle start over again from the beginning.

The final consensus is here: http://niketalk.yuku.com/sreply/10744601/48-2-9-3-

Whatever y'all are saying has been said before. There's only so many things you can explain about this problem in 90 pages. Endless discussions ensue with either camp trying to prove their point only to be reset every time new posters enter the thread, making the cycle start over again from the beginning.

The final consensus is here: http://niketalk.yuku.com/sreply/10744601/48-2-9-3-

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

Originally Posted by do work son

are you going to disprove the proof he just showed?

A + B = B + A (check)

The thing though is there is no variables in this problem. 9+3 does not equal a+b it equals 12.
Replace the variables with numbers. This is math all I was doing was showing a proof. How do you think equations are formed?
So you are STILL saying that you dont have to compute whats in the parenthesis first?

A + B = B + A (check)

The thing though is there is no variables in this problem. 9+3 does not equal a+b it equals 12.
Replace the variables with numbers. This is math all I was doing was showing a proof. How do you think equations are formed?
So you are STILL saying that you dont have to compute whats in the parenthesis first?

But the equation I wrote is it wrong with how I approached it? 

By just putting in variables, you're doing exactly what my last post said: overanalyzing the equation and making it more difficult than it's supposed to be.

By just putting in variables, you're doing exactly what my last post said: overanalyzing the equation and making it more difficult than it's supposed to be.

A + B = B + A (check)

eek.gif
How credible do you really think you are when you stated that you dont need to solve/simplify whats in the parenthesis first?

A + B = B + A (check)

This is wrong because x(a+b) doesnt equal (xa + xb) it equals (xa) + (xb)

A + B = B + A (check)

eek.gif
How credible do you really think you are when you stated that you dont need to solve/simplify whats in the parenthesis first?

A + B = B + A (check)

This is wrong because x(a+b) doesnt equal (xa + xb) it equals (xa) + (xb)

Just answer my question am I wrong?

Just answer my question am I wrong?

Originally Posted by digitalO22

Originally Posted by CertifiedSW

You guys are adding a parenthesis which gives you 288

this problem is 48 / 2(9+3) not (48/2) (9+3) but it does not even matter anymore because this is clearly how it is interpreted and whoever says fractions and division is different that is not true. They are one in the same.
Son..... 48/2(9+3) and (48/2) (9+3) state the EXACT SAME THING. They're equal. They're the same. 

48/2(9+3) =
____
2(9+3)

which is =/= to (48/2) (9+3)

Good day.
indifferent.gif

When you say that 48/2(9+3) =

____
2(9+3)

YOU ARE CHANGING THE PROBLEM!! Do you not see that??? If you wanted the problem to look like what you posted the original problem would have to look like this: 48/(2(9+3))

Does it look like that? NO. Holy @#$# I feel like I've posted the same thing a thousand times now. 

Good day my !@#. Go take a seat. 

Just called my girl..and asked her what she got..(She's a Math teacher)

Both agreed that the answer is 2..

48/2(9+3)

48/2(12)

THEN MULTIPLY according to ORDER OF OPERATIONS

THEN FREAKIN DIVIDE

48/24

Answer is 2

48/2(9+3)

48/2(12)

THEN FREAKIN DIVIDE

48/24

Answer is 2

Originally Posted by digitalO22

Originally Posted by CertifiedSW

You guys are adding a parenthesis which gives you 288

this problem is 48 / 2(9+3) not (48/2) (9+3) but it does not even matter anymore because this is clearly how it is interpreted and whoever says fractions and division is different that is not true. They are one in the same.
Son..... 48/2(9+3) and (48/2) (9+3) state the EXACT SAME THING. They're equal. They're the same. 

48/2(9+3) =
____
2(9+3)

which is =/= to (48/2) (9+3)

Good day.
indifferent.gif

When you say that 48/2(9+3) =

____
2(9+3)

YOU ARE CHANGING THE PROBLEM!! Do you not see that??? If you wanted the problem to look like what you posted the original problem would have to look like this: 48/(2(9+3))

Does it look like that? NO. Holy @#$# I feel like I've posted the same thing a thousand times now. 

Good day my !@#. Go take a seat. 

Originally Posted by dmxgod

48/2(9+3)

48/2(12)

THEN FREAKIN DIVIDE

48/24

Answer is 2

FAIL.

Back
Top Bottom