48÷2(9+3) = ???

[color= rgb(0, 0, 255)]
For team 2:
[/color]
ajkltt.jpg

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The 2nd highlighted part says "Parentheses mean "the quanity," [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]so always find the quanity inside the parentheses first [/font][color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]and then [/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]perform the operations [/color][color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]outside of the parentheses ON THAT QUANITY."[/color]

[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]servechilled (team 288) posted that image 20-30pgs ago btw[/font]

[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Carry on children 
glasses.gif
[/font]

[color= rgb(0, 0, 255)]
For team 2:
[/color]
ajkltt.jpg

[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The 2nd highlighted part says "Parentheses mean "the quanity," [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]so always find the quanity inside the parentheses first [/font][color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]and then [/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]perform the operations [/color][color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]outside of the parentheses ON THAT QUANITY."[/color]

[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]servechilled (team 288) posted that image 20-30pgs ago btw[/font]

[/font]

glasses.gif
[/font]

Originally Posted by CertifiedSW

Originally Posted by do work son

wolfram alpha shouldn't be the deciding factor on the answer. as i showed earlier, it calculated -11^2, as -121 when we all know squaring a negative number gets you a positive.

there are 2 terms in this problem, 48 and 2(9+3). or if you want to break it down even further, there are 3 variables. a=48 b=2 and c=(9+3). the problem is formatted to read a÷bc where a is one term and bc is one term. the definition of a term is a variable or the product of several variables, separated from other terms with a sign. by this definition, you divide the variable a by the product of variables bc, or in the OG problem, 48 divided by 2(9+3) which when simplified becomes 24.

for everyone championing wolfram alpha and TI calculators. input -11^2 and what do you get? if you square a negative, you always get a positive number right?

according to wolfram alpha, that would be wrong.

Spoiler [+]

Of course it's going to be negative if you don't put the parentheses around 
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

When you write it as -11^2

It is saying -1 x 11^2

Therefore, you square the 11 first (PEMDAS)

Then multiply by -1, hence -121.

IF YOU HAVE -11^2 IN PARENTHESES IT WILL LOOK LIKE THIS: (-11)(-11) = 121

IF YOU TAKE AWAY THE PARENTHESES YOU HAVE -1 (-11)^2

THEREFORE, -1 (121)

= -121

Why do you guys INSIST on saying Wolfram Alpha and calculators don't work? Ya'll are some clowns for real.

Stop posting, you are bringing up horrible points. 

SHUTUP NOW, PLEASE. You know NOTHING about math and you have made it completely evident time after time. This post shows EXACTLY why you are wrong you clown. Even members from Team 2 will agree with me on this one. Stop posting in this thread for the sake of everyone else.

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

you have it all backwards.

-(11)^2 means -1 * 11^2 = -121
-11^2 means -11*-11 = 121

wolfram alpha shouldn't be the deciding factor on the answer. as i showed earlier, it calculated -11^2, as -121 when we all know squaring a negative number gets you a positive.

there are 2 terms in this problem, 48 and 2(9+3). or if you want to break it down even further, there are 3 variables. a=48 b=2 and c=(9+3). the problem is formatted to read a÷bc where a is one term and bc is one term. the definition of a term is a variable or the product of several variables, separated from other terms with a sign. by this definition, you divide the variable a by the product of variables bc, or in the OG problem, 48 divided by 2(9+3) which when simplified becomes 24.

for everyone championing wolfram alpha and TI calculators. input -11^2 and what do you get? if you square a negative, you always get a positive number right?

according to wolfram alpha, that would be wrong.

Spoiler [+]

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

It is saying -1 x 11^2

THEREFORE, -1 (121)

= -121

Why do you guys INSIST on saying Wolfram Alpha and calculators don't work? Ya'll are some clowns for real.

SHUTUP NOW, PLEASE. You know NOTHING about math and you have made it completely evident time after time. This post shows EXACTLY why you are wrong you clown. Even members from Team 2 will agree with me on this one. Stop posting in this thread for the sake of everyone else.

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

It is saying -1 x 11^2

THEREFORE, -1 (121)

= -121

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Okay, now I know you're a troll.

-11^2, MEANS -1 * 11^2. DO YOU SEE THE NEGATIVE SIGN???? THAT REPRESENTS -1. SO, PEMDAS.

PARENTHESES

EXPONENTS

MULTIPLICATION

SQUARE THE 11 FIRST. THEN MULTIPLY BY -1, HOW IS THIS EVEN ARGUABLE? THERE'S NO DEBATE ABOUT THIS PROBLEM.

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

It is saying -1 x 11^2

THEREFORE, -1 (121)

= -121

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

-11^2, MEANS -1 * 11^2. DO YOU SEE THE NEGATIVE SIGN???? THAT REPRESENTS -1. SO, PEMDAS.

PARENTHESES

EXPONENTS

MULTIPLICATION

SQUARE THE 11 FIRST. THEN MULTIPLY BY -1, HOW IS THIS EVEN ARGUABLE? THERE'S NO DEBATE ABOUT THIS PROBLEM.

Originally Posted by BC2310

[color= rgb(0, 0, 255)]
[color= rgb(0, 0, 255)]MO:[/color]
48/2(9+3)[/color] = [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]288[/color]
[color= rgb(0, 0, 255)]48÷2(9+3)[/color] = 2

For team 2:

ajkltt.jpg

[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

glasses.gif
[/font]

is there a reason you decided to skip the information in the first highlighted section?
they wouldn't reference the "order or operations" which implies more than one step, if all

they wanted you to do is factor, or distribute (or whatever else team 2 wants to call it other than multiplying)  into the parentheses...

[color= rgb(0, 0, 255)]

For team 2:

ajkltt.jpg

[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

glasses.gif
[/font]

is there a reason you decided to skip the information in the first highlighted section?
they wouldn't reference the "order or operations" which implies more than one step, if all

they wanted you to do is factor, or distribute (or whatever else team 2 wants to call it other than multiplying)  into the parentheses...

Originally Posted by ServeChilled81

BC2310 wrote:

servechilled- right above the 2nd part it says in big bold letters: DETERMING THE ORDER OF MATHEMATICAL OPERATIONS
it doesn't say that over the first highlighted section. 
glasses.gif

Originally Posted by ServeChilled81

BC2310 wrote:

servechilled- right above the 2nd part it says in big bold letters: DETERMING THE ORDER OF MATHEMATICAL OPERATIONS
it doesn't say that over the first highlighted section. 
glasses.gif

I was trying to explain what you posted, 
my apologies if you can't comprehend, 

I don't know how to make it any clearer.

Another note: I saw Nas and Damian last year... First time seeing Nas live 
pimp.gif

I was trying to explain what you posted, 
my apologies if you can't comprehend, 

I don't know how to make it any clearer.

Another note: I saw Nas and Damian last year... First time seeing Nas live 
pimp.gif

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

PARENTHESES

EXPONENTS

MULTIPLICATION

this cant be real life.

-(11)^2 = -121.  because the negative outside the parenthesis equals -1. so then your use of PEMDAS here would be correct. square what is inside the parenthesis, then multiply by -1.
-11^2= 121. because there is no -1, it's just -11*-11. do PEMDAS. no parenthesis, move on to exponents. square -11 and you get +121.
i have no idea how you don't see that.

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

PARENTHESES

EXPONENTS

MULTIPLICATION

this cant be real life.

-(11)^2 = -121.  because the negative outside the parenthesis equals -1. so then your use of PEMDAS here would be correct. square what is inside the parenthesis, then multiply by -1.
-11^2= 121. because there is no -1, it's just -11*-11. do PEMDAS. no parenthesis, move on to exponents. square -11 and you get +121.

Originally Posted by pjhoody

you do the multiplication first... peMDas -- as in MULTIPLICATION BEFORE DIVISION-- that's 2 x 12 = 24... do we need to keep going...
laugh.gif

LOL public school education FTL

even team 2 knows that that is wrong

Originally Posted by pjhoody

you do the multiplication first... peMDas -- as in MULTIPLICATION BEFORE DIVISION-- that's 2 x 12 = 24... do we need to keep going...
laugh.gif

LOL public school education FTL

even team 2 knows that that is wrong

Anyone else put this on their fb status? I suggest you don't. Already got people arguing and dropping f bombs!

Anyone else put this on their fb status? I suggest you don't. Already got people arguing and dropping f bombs!

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

PARENTHESES

EXPONENTS

MULTIPLICATION

this cant be real life.

@do work son, you are in SERIOUS need of a refresher. i am not even upset, but extremely saddened that you think you are right. 

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

PARENTHESES

EXPONENTS

MULTIPLICATION

this cant be real life.

@do work son, you are in SERIOUS need of a refresher. i am not even upset, but extremely saddened that you think you are right. 

[color= rgb(0, 0, 255)]

For team 2:

ajkltt.jpg

[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

glasses.gif
[/font]

you fail reading comprehension
it's saying to solve what's in the parentheses first, then use that answer (THAT QUANTITY) to solve the rest of the problem (the operations outside of the parentheses)

[color= rgb(0, 0, 255)]

For team 2:

ajkltt.jpg

[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

glasses.gif
[/font]

it's saying to solve what's in the parentheses first, then use that answer (THAT QUANTITY) to solve the rest of the problem (the operations outside of the parentheses)

Originally Posted by Mo Greene

[color= rgb(0, 0, 255)]
ajkltt.jpg

[/color]

What I read says "ON THAT QUANITY" and it refers to what's in the parentheses as "THE QUANITY" 

Back
Top Bottom