5 years after LeBron vs. Duncan NBA Finals (great read)

Anyone that thinks Pop over Phil is clearly dumb and blind. 

Pop ain't even surpassed Pat Riley much less take on Phil.  Riley did work in LA, NY, AND Miami and did so with completely different styles.  Fast break break neck speed in LA, and slow it down kill everybody 72-71 style in NY and Miami.  Won with a dominant PG, then a dominant C, then a dominant SG in that order. 

Phil won with MJ and Pip +10 guys, then almost made a finals run WITHOUT MJ, then got MJ and Pip together again + a new 10, took a year off, came in and turned the Shaq/Kobe dynamic into yet another 3 peat (his third) blew a finals, left, came back and built an entire new team around Kobe + Fisher and 10 new faces, and went back to back again, with another Finals loss also mixed in. 

The man has 3 3peats, and a back to back, Pop has never once even made back to back finals.  Win or lose.  Phil has been to 3 straight Finals FOUR times. 

Pop is an incredible coach.  Easily the 3rd best we have seen in 30+ years (no real clue how good Red Auerbach was)  But people praisin Pop for what he has done, what exactly HAS he done? 
laugh.gif
  Make it to the second round? 
laugh.gif
  Not be heard from since 2007?  You all so caught up in the moment you ain't even look at facts, just gas dude up cuz he beat the Clippers last night. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by RawSheed

you dreaded watching the spurs as a kid...then when you got a little bit older, you realize how they move that ball around is a thing of beauty

This...I like watching the spurs play...if maimi doesn't win it I'll be rooting for the spurs...

Originally Posted by RawSheed

you dreaded watching the spurs as a kid...then when you got a little bit older, you realize how they move that ball around is a thing of beauty

This! 

Originally Posted by CP1708

Pop ain't even surpassed Pat Riley much less take on Phil.  Riley did work in LA, NY, AND Miami and did so with completely different styles.  Fast break break neck speed in LA, and slow it down kill everybody 72-71 style in NY and Miami.  Won with a dominant PG, then a dominant C, then a dominant SG in that order. 

Phil won with MJ and Pip +10 guys, then almost made a finals run WITHOUT MJ, then got MJ and Pip together again + a new 10, took a year off, came in and turned the Shaq/Kobe dynamic into yet another 3 peat (his third) blew a finals, left, came back and built an entire new team around Kobe + Fisher and 10 new faces, and went back to back again, with another Finals loss also mixed in. 

The man has 3 3peats, and a back to back, Pop has never once even made back to back finals.  Win or lose.  Phil has been to 3 straight Finals FOUR times. 

Pop is an incredible coach.  Easily the 3rd best we have seen in 30+ years (no real clue how good Red Auerbach was)  But people praisin Pop for what he has done, what exactly HAS he done? 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
  Not be heard from since 2007?  You all so caught up in the moment you ain't even look at facts, just gas dude up cuz he beat the Clippers last night. 
laugh.gif
Damn.gif

Originally Posted by Periwinkle

I didn't really like the spurs when they were winning their titles 10 years ago, but now I'm rooting for them. The organization is run extremely well and Popovich is an amazing coach.
I'm not really 'rooting' for them but I'm sort of in the same boat as you. Never liked the Spurs but as I've gotten older I've grown to appreciate their greatness. Popovich reminds me of Belichick from the Patriots...he does things his own way, ignoring the conventional method, commands respect and gets players who buy into his system w/ one of the GOAT at their position (Timmy/Brady) leading the way.

I don't know about the dumb and blind thing but if rank is measured in success and Phil Jackson is the most successful coach of all time...you can figure out the rest.

Phil's peers are Scotty Bowman, John Wooden, Vince Lombardi, etc.

this is sort of a living in the moment article.

i got nothing but respect for what the spurs accomplished between 99-07 and hell they can very well win the title this year which would be impressive considering damn near everyone thought they were done, and too old to win with the core they have.

the spurs look very 1999 spursish right now the way they've been playing refreshed and look like a new team.

however anyone who didn't think they were done after last season and the gradual decline they made since 07 is in denial. lost to the lakers in the 08 wcf rather convincingly, lost to dallas in the first round 4-1 in 09, swept by phoenix in 2010, and losing to the 8 seed grizzlies in 6 last year after a hot start to the season where they cooled off alot late in the year.

im sure everyone had the spurs making the 2nd round at best this season before the season started.

its a good article but no one was thinking anything that was said in that article prior to this season starting.

Originally Posted by Rex Ryan

this is sort of a living in the moment article.
That is what of his articles are all about. I read in another thread how Duncan has been the best player since MJ retired because they beat the Jazz. Like popovich, Duncan has been m.i.a. since 2007 in the playoffs and the regular season.
Parker along all those 3 point shooters have been carrying the team since then.

What is impressive about the Spurs is their front office and their ability to tank seasons.

Originally Posted by knightngale
LA about to get swept in the 2nd round Back2Back years. I wonder what that does to Beandips rep.
wink.gif

Timmy wins 5 he will be top 5 all time. Neal with it.

adrian is one of the worst editors out there. he rides the coat tails of anything. no crap duncan is solid. but no story there, until u bring the big names into it.. come on man.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I like LA and I'm old school, but I think the whole Spurs franchise is class act.  They're able to be legit contenders much like LA w/o having to to violate any unwritten code of respect.  They don't flush the team w/ brand names, they don't become topics for the media.  They are simply old school franchise w/ loyalty and devotion.  I think that's the most admirable aspect of them.

In terms of praising Popovich, I think he deserves it, simply because the tenure for most coaches aren't lengthy enough to establish any sort of comparison.

Again, the franchise is a pure example of what it means to work hard. 

All that respect and devotion is for @#$%^&*.  It's about winning.  And Riley and Phil did it more than Pop.  The end. 

And the troll doo don't even have a counter, he has literally NOTHING to dispute a word I said. 
roll.gif
pimp.gif

All that respect and devotion is for @#$%^&*.  It's about winning.  And Riley and Phil did it more than Pop.  The end. 

And the troll doo don't even have a counter, he has literally NOTHING to dispute a word I said. 
roll.gif
pimp.gif

LOL.  So you're saying, someone that hustles for the ball doesn't deserve recognition of any sort because it wasn't part of the stat sheet? 

Both Riley and Phil have their own challenges as well.  You can't change the fact that the tenure for the players/coaches on this franchise has been commendable.

No question about it, great run, as I said, he's the 3rd best coach the NBA has had in 30 years or whatever.  No doubt. 

Phil and Pat were better.  Plain, and extremely simple.  Doesn't lessen Pop in any way, he just hasn't done more than those 2 did. 

Phil also swept Pop. 
Then Phil got him again the next year, 4-1
Pop won a series
Then Phil got him again, 4-2
and years later, 4-2 again. 

I'm not mad at that either. 

Riley went to NINE Finals, with 3 different teams. 

Phil been in 13 Finals. 

Pop?  4. 

I ain't eem mad about that. 

Phil and Pat won back to back titles, Pat even went to 4 straight finals.  Both have been in back to back to back finals. 

Pop, never. 

Not even mad at that. 

See %%@*%#, when I troll, I bring FACTS with me.  You troll, you bring a bunch of nonsense that ain't even accurate most the time.  %$%!, you can't even %$%@+%+ spell properly when you run your mouth.  Every single word I have said in here about these 3 HOF coaches accomplishments is 100% true, EVERY, WORD. 

Read thru it, learn something for a change. 

one thing pop got going...he never lost a final

but they are all great coaches

I mean, if you only make 4 and the other guys are there 9 and 13 times, yeah, tougher to win all 9 and 13, right? 

Why he only make it there 4 times?  Oh, he lost plenty of series prior to the finals.  Weird. 

Back
Top Bottom