(7-9) Miami Dolphins 2010 Season Thread: WE SUCK! THANK GOD IT'S OVER!!!

I understand but he's undersized for NT. And oversized for OLB. Both of which we need bad. Don't forget FS.

The Odrick pick is a great pick. Ask CP, I've been in Mike Mayack mode the last 2 month +. Odrick was a player I liked

We can go 2 ways w/him. We can bulk him up to 330 (muscle not fat) and turn into a stud NT. Jason Fergason & Jay Ratliff were drafted by Parcells. They were both 305 LB when they were draft.

Those are the type of NT Bill likes to draft.

The 2nd way we can good is @ DE. And draft a NT is the 3rd. I like Cam Thomas alot

Either way, he is going to reck havec

Pick I wanted: Jerry Hughes

Pick I want in the 2nd: Sergio Kindle OLB Texas

Originally Posted by finnns2003

I understand but he's undersized for NT. And oversized for OLB. Both of which we need bad. Don't forget FS.

Thas the thing though bro, we can't take 2 players at 12, now we've made the deal, we get a solid (by all accounts I'm reading) DT from a big time college program, AND we got a 2nd rounder in return, and with that, we can go get that safety we need.  We couldn't have done that with whatever player we took at 12 right?  Now we add to the D line, and still have a shot at a safety, or WR or BPA when #40 comes up. 

After that pick, then maybe we can judge this early part of the draft a little better. 

odrick will do well there. I grew up with him and played against him in high school when he went to lebanon, I still keep in touch with him and spoke to him earlier, he will be a great asset

Ireland said they they might use him @ De or NT

They also said Dan Williams would have be the pick

I don't know much about Odrick, so I won't comment. I don know that I wanted earl thomas or Dez Bryant in a Dolphin Jersey, and that didnt happen. We'll see how it turns out

A+ day for the Phins.

We essentially get Brandon Marshall for a 2011 second rounder, and end up with a better position then we had two weeks ago.

...This is a very deep draft, so bundling picks is always a smart idea.

Ireland also hinted at trading down again in the 2nd Rd
I also like what I hear about LB Tim Dibbons. Whom we got in the trade down

Well I hope you guys are right. I'm a little paranoid after seeing us pick guys like Pat White and Turner.

Finns, the dude's gonna be a steal. He was invited to the NYC's draft green room because he could have gone as soon as Cleveland @ #7 
pimp.gif

The Pat White picks was not a Parcells pick. The scouts team convinced Ireland to make the pick and Parcells loosened the leash on that pick.
 Also, do NOT give up on Turner yet. He catches everything thrown at him. His problem is getting off the LOS.

edit: Be thankful we don't have Jax Jags personal

laugh.gif
That was Ireland? Seriously? Somebody K.O. that guy.
laugh.gif

I don't see it with Turner dude. You've got Hartline, Bess, and the Bess clone we signed in the offseason. And then Camarillo. Someone isn't making the team. I have a feeling it's Turner, especially with Marshall being the big possession guy.

Bess clone? Who?
Parcells letting Ireland do a lot more by himself to get him ready for when Parcells retires.

There's a lot of 1st Rd talent still on the board. Ireland in the Rd 1 wrap-up mini press conference sounded like we might trade down again and pick up more picks. We pick 8th in the 2nd

Tell me this isn't great work from the Trifecta?!

2011 2nd Rd Pick: Brandon Marshall (Trust me, they will get the pick back in next year's draft by trade down or player trade)

R1: Odrick. .

We also have picks in 2, 3, 4, 5, two in 6 and 3 in 7 (9 total). And traded for Tim Dobbins for a 6th Rder (173rd overall). GREAT start.

Interesting news on Miami defense changes. some 4-3 sets, more interior penetration. Sort of 3-4/4-3 hybrid.

And word out of NY is Jets were ready to take Odrick with the 29 pick and that NE wanted Tebow but traded down to # 27 w/Dallas thinking he would be there.

[h3]Miami Dolphins to tweak defense; Jared Odrick fits new ideas

[/h3]
In the immediate wake of Miami's decision to spend its 28th overall pick Thursday on defensive lineman Jared Odrick, Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland wasn't willing to say exactly how the team plans to use him.

``We think he can play both inside and outside,'' Ireland said Thursday night. ``I don't really want to get into where we are going to play the kid right this minute. I think you'll see soon enough where he'll be playing. We think he can play both.''

It might seem like a curious sentiment, given Odrick's prototypical size as a defensive end in a 3-4 system. But there's a somewhat interesting explanation for it.

Sources say the Dolphins are in the middle of a defensive transformation that will steer them slightly away from the pure 3-4 defense that has been used each of the last two seasons. It is not a knock on the previous system, but an attempt to fit Miami's personnel.

Although complex and still a work in progress at this point, the Dolphins will rely on more penetration from the interior defensive line than previous years. It will allow the team to benefit from the athleticism of its linemen as much as the bulk.

The key phrase in all of this, though, is interior penetration. That's an aberration from the standard responsibilities of a 3-4 nose tackle, which spends its time clogging up the middle to allow for the linebackers to make the plays.

It still isn't a pure 4-3 defense, either, but it is instead simply designed to allow the crop of defensive ends to help make the entire unit better.

The team has been planning the adjustments for weeks, well before it selected a player that happens to fit the new system perfectly. Don't expect it to be considered a ``new'' defense - but instead an aggressive tweak to the old use of the personnel.

Players like Randy Starks and Odrick, who are prototypical ends with some ability to play inside, will be able to combine their ability to pass rush with their size as well, which is the reason for Ireland's sentiment that Odrick can play both spots.

``I played the one-technique in college,'' Odrick said Thursday night in New York. ``We'd flip and we'd slide. I played a lot of three technique, but I made a lot of plays from the one. I think I can transfer over to a five technique just as easily. It's football. At the end of the day, it's still football.''

The changes should also help alleviate the need for a pure 3-4 nose tackle, although it won't do so entirely. Miami isn't completely abandoning the 3-4 concept, and it still plans for plenty of three-man fronts.

Although Paul Soliai has yet to convince the team he's capable of replacing Jason Ferguson at the position, he will still have a place on the squad. The Dolphins could also still look toward drafting and developing a mammoth-sized player for the future.

When using the penetrating defense, it will require inside linebackers Karlos Dansby and Channing Crowder to be more effective and forceful, but those are qualities that fit their strengths at this point anyway.

Instead, this has the potential to allow Starks, Odrick, Kendall Langford and Phillip Merling to thrive at a position that's currently as deep as any other on the defensive side of the football.

BY JEFF DARLINGTON

^
Reading that article and considering we got Nolan to run it all and could see major improvement from both our young corners, I am pumped to see our defense next year. 

The Odrick pick makes PLENTY of sense if Miami is going to be using some combo 4-3/3-4 fronts next year. Which that most certainly looks to be the case.

I would never question a Parcells pick in regards to a front seven player.

I thought we were going S in the 3rd but OG John Jerry is a good pick in the 3rd rd.

3 starters so far = a great draft

As I always say about Bill, dude drafts in the trenches.  He gets big mean dudes.  It's what he has always done. 

Last year was the one year where he had no choice but to get some skill guys, Davis, Smith, White, Turner, Hartline, Clemons, apparently he wasn't doin that again this time. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I wish there was a way we could get Aaron Hernandez tommorrow.  I think he would fit in nice with us. 

Back
Top Bottom