7 Inmates killed, 17 injured seriously in South Carolina prison brawl

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/16/us/south-carolina-prison-riot.html

23DRONESWEB1-master1050.jpg

Seven inmates were killed and 17 others were injured in a large riot that broke out Sunday night at a maximum-security prison in South Carolina, the authorities said.

The fights started around 7:15 p.m. in three housing units at Lee Correctional Institution, which houses some of the state’s most violent and longest-serving offenders. Officers were unable to stop the fighting and secure the prison until around 2:55 a.m. on Monday.

The state’s Corrections Department described the fights as “multiple inmate-on-inmate altercations.” No police officers or prison employees were injured, the department said.

Lee Correctional Institution, which opened in 1993, houses about 1,500 male inmates. It is in Bishopville, S.C., about 40 miles east of Columbia, the capital.

State officials have pledged for years to make South Carolina’s prisons, particularly Lee Correctional Institution, safer after a series of deadly fights. In 2013, Michael McCall, then the warden at Lee, said it was the most dangerous prison in South Carolina.

Two officers were stabbed there in a 2015 fight. An inmate was killed during a fight in July 2017, another was stabbed to death in November, and a third was killed in February.

Last month, several prisoners at Lee overpowered a guard in a dormitory and took control of the building for more than an hour.

That's a bit much, but I guess once you start fighting in prison you can't stop until someone is dead or the officers stop it

It's crazy that COs will just let inmates fight to the death then clean up the mess later but if an officer is involved it's full tactical teams in riot gear responding in seconds.

Exactly why prison scares the shh out of me. What if you ain’t want no kinda smoke and you still got caught in the cross hairs and died.. what if you didn’t even commit the crime that got you placed in prison.

Prison worse than slavery.

It's crazy that COs will just let inmates fight to the death then clean up the mess later but if an officer is involved it's full tactical teams in riot gear responding in seconds.
CO's don't look at prisoners as people.

My gf's bro in law and sister work at a prison and the bro in law got attacked by inmates, knocked in the head with a lock in a sock and bit by a dude with AIDS. So they definitely don't feel any sympathy for these dudes

CO's don't look at prisoners as people.

My gf's bro in law and sister work at a prison and the bro in law got attacked by inmates, knocked in the head with a lock in a sock and bit by a dude with AIDS. So they definitely don't feel any sympathy for these dudes
This is not funny but I chuckled.

I am sorry, no disrespect.

Exactly why prison scares the shh out of me. What if you ain’t want no kinda smoke and you still got caught in the cross hairs and died.. what if you didn’t even commit the crime that got you placed in prison.

Dudes don't care if you don't wanna fight in prison. Someone steps to you, you gotta get busy. Might even have to join up with a clique and if they fight, you fight.

Sometimes I feel like they keep prison as bad as possible to scare people from committing crimes

I live in NY, and id be scared to death to be sent to Rikers

This is not funny but I chuckled.

Yea it sucks because they're trying to have a kid and he's gotta get tested often to make sure he didn't contract anything.

Yea its terrible but u gotta switch up your mindset once you step into a prison...gotta expect and be ready for the smoke at all times, the cross hairs for everybody

Which is sad because it's been proven time and time again that prison, the death penalty, and other forms of "corrections" aren't really deterrents.
Yup Prison doesnt have to be as bad as it is, but thats the kind of environment the ppl in charge want...its already bad enough being stuck in a building n not being able to do whatver u wanna do for years on end but they let all the extra wild **** continue

Most of us here aren't career criminals so we don't think like them. Seems like ya gotta have an all or nothing mindset, with em or against em, race depending.

Imagine looking forward to prison because all of your "people" are there smh
Different rules in there

Back
Top Bottom