[[_ILLMATIC APPRECIATION POST vol. Greatest Rap Album EVER_]]

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Although Illmatic has been critically acclaimed the best Hip Hop album ever by countless publications. Not saying, well Yes I Am.

Publications such as XXL, The Source, Rolling Stone? Yeah, that's exactly where I get all of my opinions from - I don't think for myself, I just readmagazines and let them decide for me.

Answer me this - exactly how much do you like every other album by Nas? I mean, It Was Written, I Am, Nastradamus, God's Son, Street Disciple, the selftitled most recent one - they're all pretty weak. I'm not saying he doesn't bring it on a single song on any of those albums, I'm just sayinthat if those albums were by anybody other than the guy that made Illmatic, they wouldn't even be in most people's collections. To me, the"Greatest Rapper Ever" had better be better than 1 for 9 in his/her album production, hence, Nas is not in the discussion of greatest rapper ever(for me). Nobody responded to anything I said about AZ. Seriously, listen to 9 Lives or Pieces of a Man - in my book these albums are easily as good asIllmatic, just that nobody really gives AZ props because they're too busy kissin Nas.

Everyone just gets on Nas' jock so bad about this one album. If you read my original post, I said that I really like this album, I just don't thinkit's the greatest album ever. Like I also said, I don't think you can nail down one album as the greatest ever. I PREFER Reasonable Doubt, Ready toDie, Southerplayalisticcadillacmusic, etc. to Illmatic. This is not to say that none of you can say Illmatic is your favorite ever, just that I don't thinkit is.

Don't be such a sheep and just follow what magazines and other 14 year old niketalkers say.

Originally Posted by notoriousniq

Although Illmatic has been critically acclaimed the best Hip Hop album ever by countless publications. Not saying, well Yes I Am.

Publications such as XXL, The Source, Rolling Stone? Yeah, that's exactly where I get all of my opinions from - I don't think for myself, I just read magazines and let them decide for me.

Answer me this - exactly how much do you like every other album by Nas? I mean, It Was Written, I Am, Nastradamus, God's Son, Street Disciple, the self titled most recent one - they're all pretty weak. I'm not saying he doesn't bring it on a single song on any of those albums, I'm just sayin that if those albums were by anybody other than the guy that made Illmatic, they wouldn't even be in most people's collections. To me, the "Greatest Rapper Ever" had better be better than 1 for 9 in his/her album production, hence, Nas is not in the discussion of greatest rapper ever (for me). Nobody responded to anything I said about AZ. Seriously, listen to 9 Lives or Pieces of a Man - in my book these albums are easily as good as Illmatic, just that nobody really gives AZ props because they're too busy kissin Nas.

Everyone just gets on Nas' jock so bad about this one album. If you read my original post, I said that I really like this album, I just don't think it's the greatest album ever. Like I also said, I don't think you can nail down one album as the greatest ever. I PREFER Reasonable Doubt, Ready to Die, Southerplayalisticcadillacmusic, etc. to Illmatic. This is not to say that none of you can say Illmatic is your favorite ever, just that I don't think it is.

Don't be such a sheep and just follow what magazines and other 14 year old niketalkers say.
you're an idiot, fam.. you sound like one of those dudes who just goes against the grain for the sake of being contrary. the irony of yourargument is that you're stating that nas makes average albums sans illmatic but then you're championing az, the prince of wasted talent? az has onegood album, which is "doe or die" - his best imitation of "illmatic" that pales painfully in comparison. the fact that you consider"9 lives" a good album, let alone comparable to "illmatic," just makes it impossible for me to take you seriously at all.

"it was written" is pretty weak?
laugh.gif
then you called"untitled" nas's "self-titled" album, which lets me know you haven't even given the album a thorough listen since you can'teven get the title correct.

your entire post is filled with an agenda to come in here and discredit nas. see the exit.

Originally Posted by McFlyyy

Publications such as XXL, The Source, Rolling Stone? Yeah, that's exactly where I get all of my opinions from - I don't think for myself, I just read magazines and let them decide for me.

Answer me this - exactly how much do you like every other album by Nas? I mean, It Was Written, I Am, Nastradamus, God's Son, Street Disciple, the self titled most recent one - they're all pretty weak. I'm not saying he doesn't bring it on a single song on any of those albums, I'm just sayin that if those albums were by anybody other than the guy that made Illmatic, they wouldn't even be in most people's collections. To me, the "Greatest Rapper Ever" had better be better than 1 for 9 in his/her album production, hence, Nas is not in the discussion of greatest rapper ever (for me). Nobody responded to anything I said about AZ. Seriously, listen to 9 Lives or Pieces of a Man - in my book these albums are easily as good as Illmatic, just that nobody really gives AZ props because they're too busy kissin Nas.

Everyone just gets on Nas' jock so bad about this one album. If you read my original post, I said that I really like this album, I just don't think it's the greatest album ever. Like I also said, I don't think you can nail down one album as the greatest ever. I PREFER Reasonable Doubt, Ready to Die, Southerplayalisticcadillacmusic, etc. to Illmatic. This is not to say that none of you can say Illmatic is your favorite ever, just that I don't think it is.

you're an idiot, fam.. you sound like one of those dudes who just goes against the grain for the sake of being contrary. the irony of your argument is that you're stating that nas makes average albums sans illmatic but then you're championing az, the prince of wasted talent? az has one good album, which is "doe or die" - his best imitation of "illmatic" that pales painfully in comparison. the fact that you consider "9 lives" a good album, let alone comparable to "illmatic," just makes it impossible for me to take you seriously at all.

laugh.gif
then you called "untitled" nas's "self-titled" album, which lets me know you haven't even given the album a thorough listen since you can't even get the title correct.

your entire post is filled with an agenda to come in here and discredit nas. see the exit.

Nothing else needed to be said.

Originally Posted by Anthony Stark

you're an idiot, fam.. you sound like one of those dudes who just goes against the grain for the sake of being contrary. the irony of your argument is that you're stating that nas makes average albums sans illmatic but then you're championing az, the prince of wasted talent? az has one good album, which is "doe or die" - his best imitation of "illmatic" that pales painfully in comparison. the fact that you consider "9 lives" a good album, let alone comparable to "illmatic," just makes it impossible for me to take you seriously at all.

laugh.gif
then you called "untitled" nas's "self-titled" album, which lets me know you haven't even given the album a thorough listen since you can't even get the title correct.

Nothing else needed to be said.

Guy just said that "It Was Written" was weak...and 9 lives and Pieces Of Man on the same plane as ILLMATIC?!?!?!*Logs Out*

Greatest Hip Hop album ever........................... I can't believe dudes are comparing Illmatic to RD!
Not at all. Not quite. Nah.

Dope album, definitely a classic, but Nas is not the greatest and neither is this album. Nas fell off pretty hard and fast after this. His next three albums were terrible, especially compared to this. Ever since then, he's been stirring up controversy just before he releases an album just to try to get it to sell.

Listen to any old AZ album - you'll hear similar production and lyricism. That proved to me that Illmatic might have been more of a product of its own environment than a product of Nas' talent.

I love the guy and root for him, so don't get my comments misconstrued, I just don't think he's even in the discussion of greatest ever. This album is a must for anyone that even casually listens to hip hop, along with about 10 or 15 other albums from this golden era, but it is certainly not the greatest ever. I don't know if Reasonable Doubt is a "greater" album, but I do know that I listen to it a heck of a lot more than I listen to Illmatic.

d6078223fc4b7bc73ba408373a94aaaa0417e50e

GET THE %$@% OUTTA MY THREAD!

laugh.gif

Dang, I'm so embarrassed - I can't believe I called Nas' Untitled album self titled - there is such a huge difference there. And I'm not goingagainst the grain just to do it, it's my opinion. I don't think Nas is the greatest rapper ever, period. My requirements are for more than one greatalbum. Much love, y'all - I'll let you guys get back to your Nas suckfest.

You cannot be serious. G unlike some of these other mogs you may have encountered, I think for myself and actuallyw as around to experience it 1st hand, I wasfull into hiphop when Doe or Die dropped... It wasn't then and still isn't comparable to Illmatic... Nor are any of AZ's other works comparable toany of Nas's other works. For the record I've owned every album Mr. Cruz has dropped minus his last 2 efforts so don't try to play this peopledon't give him credit #@!* on me fam-o. You sound absolutely zooted to say some #@!* like that G. Like you're really on Water.

How about this... We through out the publications, even though The Source from 92-98/9 was as respected as the New York Times in terms of hiphop, but if youwant to #@!* on them cool alright. How about the fact that any rapper who's anybody has placed him anywhere from 1-10, all the way from legends like Rakim& G Rap to New Mogs like Ross and Wayne... Those are his peers. The ones who do it for a living and understand what it takes to actually make an album andrespect the craft... I guess your opinion holds more weight than theirs as well.

He has arguably the best catalog of any hiphop artist ever. You want to say Nastradamus is wack? Alright cool I'll give you that... I'll even allowyou to say I Am and the 1 of the disc from SD were so so. That still leaves:

Illmatic
It Was Written
Stillmatic
Lost Tapes
God Son
The other disc from SD
HHID
Untitled.

$#@% the controversy or sales pitch, based on quality of music... You can't compare anyone to him, maybe Pac... Thats it thats all.

Dope album, definitely a classic, but Nas is not the greatest and neither is this album. Nas fell off pretty hard and fast after this. His next three albums were terrible, especially compared to this. Ever since then, he's been stirring up controversy just before he releases an album just to try to get it to sell.

Listen to any old AZ album - you'll hear similar production and lyricism. That proved to me that Illmatic might have been more of a product of its own environment than a product of Nas' talent.

I love the guy and root for him, so don't get my comments misconstrued, I just don't think he's even in the discussion of greatest ever. This album is a must for anyone that even casually listens to hip hop, along with about 10 or 15 other albums from this golden era, but it is certainly not the greatest ever. I don't know if Reasonable Doubt is a "greater" album, but I do know that I listen to it a heck of a lot more than I listen to Illmatic.

indifferent.gif

You crazy.

It was written was another classic.

I actually enjoyed It Was Written better then Illmatic. Both are appreciated, though
pimp.gif

I've heard very good things about "The Lost Tapes" but I never picked anything up from that. Which songs from that should I check out first?

Originally Posted by Chao

I've heard very good things about "The Lost Tapes" but I never picked anything up from that. Which songs from that should I check out first?

just get the whole album

Back
Top Bottom