Abolish the Welfare System in America Vol. Mature Discussion

Rashi, that is mularky. Wages are not equal to the work performed or your stupid equation. CEOs in other countries dont make what our CEOs make.

Oh, they aren't? If you owned a business, tell me how you would determine someones compensation for their labor? If you are going paraphrase the Labor Theory of Value, then spare me.

Of course they don't. Supply and Demand of CEOs of other countries isn't the same.

More mularky from Rashi. These are muktinational corporations. It is the same supply and demand. The only difference is American greed

More mularky from Rashi. These are muktinational corporations. It is the same supply and demand. The only difference is American greed

Still waiting on your explanation on your price setting on the exchange of commodities.

I don't even understand what your point is with "CEOs in other countries dont make what our CEOs make.". Someone like Jamie Dimon has a small base salary, but makes tens of millions off of investments, and then receives a bonus from the board of trustees if the company does well off of his leadership. Now, if you are butt hurt and jelly over his bonuses, then look to your elected representatives who picked and chose who to let stay in business.

i am joking.  :lol:     the lack of attention to corporate welfare is depressing

trickle down economics doesn't work well for anyone but those at the top

capitilism at it's full potential is always going to eventually end up with a select few who use their money to gain influence, to create "the rules" for their own benefit

corporations are people  :rofl:

**** is disturbing to me

thats not capitalism sir. thats chrony capitalism/facism.

Still waiting on your explanation on your price setting on the exchange of commodities.

I don't even understand what your point is with "CEOs in other countries dont make what our CEOs make.". Someone like Jamie Dimon has a small base salary, but makes tens of millions off of investments, and then receives a bonus from the board of trustees if the company does well off of his leadership. Now, if you are butt hurt and jelly over his bonuses, then look to your elected representatives who picked and chose who to let stay in business.

This bolded statement is why I can't be bothered with someone like you that is out of touch with reality. These bonuses are not based on performance. Citigroup, took a bailout and paid bonuses, Bank of America took a bailout and paid bonuses. I could go on and on.

This bolded statement is why I can't be bothered with someone like you that is out of touch with reality. These bonuses are not based on performance. Citigroup, took a bailout and paid bonuses, Bank of America took a bailout and paid bonuses. I could go on and on.

But... But... Nobody else could do their jobs

Didn't go through whole thread, but coming from a neighborhood where a LOT are on welfare, it shouldn't be abolished but there should be some drastic changes in the policy.

-you should be drug tested once to twice a year.
-you should be penalized severely for scamming the system.
-you should be evaluated for your situation year after year.
-there should be strict limitations on what can and can't be used on your card.

my neighborhood will probably never recover from welfare. We're in generations upon generations of free money. No one cares and just pump out kids to get more free money. If I see one more person buying Jordans with their WIC card....:smh:. Thats simply ridiculous.

Kids eating chips and sugar water DAILY off their WIC card. Horrible.

Im not really against the idea of welfare....

Just against folks literally LIVING off it. :smh:

i'm not super well informed on all the rules of the welfare, but i'm pretty sure thanks to bill clinton there is a 5 year LIFETIME limit, so there is that...and though there are always people that will & do game the system, most do not. there are also fairly strict limitations (in just about every state) on what one is able to purchase on ebt/wic cards (pretty sure these cards won't even be accepted at a retailer that sells mikes, so whoever you 'saw' pull that off hustle game must be strong!).

while there is plenty of evidence that welfare programs do kind of perversely incentivize staying poor, i believe that has more to do with some of the rules of these programs than the people. there are a whole range of issues that affect welfare & the people who need it, education, living wages, employment opportunities, housing, transportation, not even considering the all the issues that complicate those things if any person in the household has a criminal record of any sort...

blaming the poor & the social programs that support them for being inept, inefficient, lazy, etc. as to what & where taxpayers dollars are spent is misdirection, is it an easy scapegoat. it maybe stops people from asking why their paychecks haven't really reflected the increased productivity for all these years? why corporate ceo's are making something like multiples in factors of 10s (in some cases 100x, even 1000x) their average workers? where are those low/medium skill-decent wage jobs went? alot of people are being marginalized, and ending welfare only increases that...

A bit off topic but I didn't think it was worth a whole new thread. Since we are on the topic of capitalism, for those that want to remove the regulations so that more jobs can be created, be careful what you wish for. Walking around with masks is not what's up.

Beijing (CNN) -- Schoolchildren were ordered to halt outdoor sports activities until Tuesday this week, as a dirty cloud of smog continued to shroud China's capital.

This was among a series of emergency response measures adopted in Beijing Sunday when the city's Air Quality Index exceeded 500 micrograms, the highest level. Anything above this is regarded as "beyond index."

Reports of respiratory problems -- as well as the sale of masks -- have skyrocketed, according to state media, and over the weekend, streets appeared emptier, as a sun was barely visible amid a hazy blanket.

On Monday morning the U.S. Embassy in Beijing recorded "hazardous" levels of pollution, with a "Beyond Index" reading of 515 at 3:00 a.m. (2 p.m. Sunday) local time, last seen on Saturday when the air quality index, based on U.S. national air quality standards, hit as high as 755.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/14/world/asia/china-smog-blanket/

Originally Posted by cguy610  

A bit off topic but I didn't think it was worth a whole new thread. Since we are on the topic of capitalism, for those that want to remove the regulations so that more jobs can be created, be careful what you wish for. Walking around with masks is not what's up.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/14/world/asia/china-smog-blanket/
you can always count on corporations doing the right thing

stop the slander

Tax subsidies are not welfare if you believe that it was the person's money in the first place. The purpose of tax subsidies such as writeoffs for giving to charities and mortgage interest deductions is to drive social factors. The tax code is little more than an incentive and punishment system contrary to popular belief.

Bailouts on the other hand... now that is the result of a failed system that kept those institutions from becoming so big that they could take down the rest of the economy whether on a macro or micro level. When too much dependence is placed on one industry, you get a situation like the logging decline in the parts of the Pacific Northwest, or abandoned neighborhoods in Michigan.
The tax code is the life blood of government. Without taxation how would government operate? Taxation simply equals the greatest power that government possesses. 

Welfare programs are a greater subsidy to corporate America than to the people collecting benefits. Do you think the retail sector could employ millions of workers at poverty wages if there weren't additional government subsidies (for the workers)? Corporate America wants welfare around because their workers would otherwise demand better wages. 

A large portion of welfare is simply low wage subsidization. This is a huge boon for corporations across entire sectors of the economy.

Last edited:
A large portion of welfare is simply low wage subsidization. This is a huge boon for corporations across entire sectors of the economy.

Hey, don't tell me you turning Democrat on me Wawawowee? There's already only a few of the free market capitalism types left on NT. Government's role is not to subsidize everyone's wages. That is one of the main problems right now. Raise wages, get rid of government help for only those that need it and brings them into the middle class. This cuts the deficit and increases tax revenues.

I wasn't a fan of the payroll tax holiday because that is not government's role.

You guys do realize in 2013 Charitable Contributions cannot be deducted and/or limited for rich taxpayers? You do realize that a good percentage of the funding for charitable organizations are from private donors whom are usually in the upper tax brackets that now have zero incentive to donate since they can't write off these contributions. I have several not for profit clients that have readjusted their budgets for this year, and a ton of programs have been cut. These are specific programs for the inner city like meals, housing, clothing/blanket giveaways. Now you guys think that Welfare should be abolish?
laugh.gif
With this type of mindset and the way our economy is these days, I can definitely see our poor slowly resembling the poor in 3rd world countries. I guess we just gotta build bigger fences/gates for our homes!
The only purpose of eliminating these deductions is to increase dependence on the government. I think it's safe to say that this experiment with the "war on poverty" has been an utter failure since we have spent trillions on welfare programs and yet the poverty rate is at the exact same level as it was 50 years ago when Johnson implemented it.

Maybe a new strategy needs to be implemented to destroy this generation to generation dependency on welfare. I think we all agree they will never make education free. And if they did there would still be those that have no interest in learning more.

My idea would be job training in high school. To be honest, not many are using the geometry skills they picked up sophomore year. How many actually have conversations about history and/or art? Lets make high school a training ground for adult life. The young professionals to be will take additional courses and attend magnet schools.

Maybe a new strategy needs to be implemented to destroy this generation to generation dependency on welfare. I think we all agree they will never make education free. And if they did there would still be those that have no interest in learning more.

My idea would be job training in high school. To be honest, not many are using the geometry skills they picked up sophomore year. How many actually have conversations about history and/or art? Lets make high school a training ground for adult life. The young professionals to be will take additional courses and attend magnet schools.

they wont do that. transition costs and the fact that they water down education so you can go into debt to go into school for something you want to do to get a piece of paper that says you are qualified to do it while the interest on the student loans benefits the banksters that approved it even though you had 0 income coming in. oh thats right! you cant discharge on student loans. they got us by the balls.

Inner city public schools are poorly funded and understaffed. If we put the funding into helping these at risk youth we might be able to do more than just continuing the cycle of poverty and welfare dependency. But...

they wont do that. transition costs and the fact that they water down education so you can go into debt to go into school for something you want to do to get a piece of paper that says you are qualified to do it while the interest on the student loans benefits the banksters that approved it even though you had 0 income coming in. oh thats right! you cant discharge on student loans. they got us by the balls.

student loans are not the problem, the continuing escalation of the cost of higher education is much more disturbing. the current system of k-12 education is still based on a factory/semi-skilled labor economy. the reality is globalization & technology have increased productivity such that it has depressed the value of labor, so what use to be good paying jobs either don't pay nearly as much or worst no longer exist in a meaningful way. the middle ground between service jobs & knowledge jobs seems to be shrinking, so if one does make through high school there aren't too many choices for well paying employment/advancement, other than continuing education in hopes of higher paying employment.

which results in a much more competitive job market, and bringing back to welfare, if you didn't finish/only have a high school diploma and the most of the job opportunities available to you don't pay a livable wage, much less support a family or cover the price of child care, isn't there a case to be made that more people are going to NEED welfare/assistance to just to make sure we don't create a permanent undercaste & assure some modicum of social mobility?

That's the way it used to be. With mechanics & home ec. Even if the person wouldn't go into those fields, at least they had the basic skills to perform those tasks in their own household without having to depend on someone else to take care of their car or going out to eat multiple times each week. Think about how much would be saved on an annual basis if we were able to fix our own stuff? Also think about the increased diversification in the economy of those who were able to specialize in those skills instead of going for a traditional education at a 4 year college.

The problem with education is not that some mystical entity wants to dumb us down. It's that teachers become so frustrated with the lack of drive, motivation, and accountability of the kids, that they eventually give in and water down their own teaching to make it more tolerable. This goes on year after year and eventually, you get high school graduates who can't pass a test that involves 8th grade math.

How ignorant and selfish many of you are. Unfortunately in a system of competition someone will always be on the short end of the stick. State taxes pay for most not your federal taxes. They waste your federal taxes to build bomb and to pay the wealthy to sit. They create money out of thin air they are able to help those in need. I laught at the thought this is a fair system. Here is food for though Europeans came took the land, resources and government. That benefits them today still. Open your eyes people.

i'm not super well informed on all the rules of the welfare, but i'm pretty sure thanks to bill clinton there is a 5 year LIFETIME limit, so there is that...and though there are always people that will & do game the system, most do not. there are also fairly strict limitations (in just about every state) on what one is able to purchase on ebt/wic cards (pretty sure these cards won't even be accepted at a retailer that sells mikes, so whoever you 'saw' pull that off hustle game must be strong!).

while there is plenty of evidence that welfare programs do kind of perversely incentivize staying poor, i believe that has more to do with some of the rules of these programs than the people. there are a whole range of issues that affect welfare & the people who need it, education, living wages, employment opportunities, housing, transportation, not even considering the all the issues that complicate those things if any person in the household has a criminal record of any sort...

blaming the poor & the social programs that support them for being inept, inefficient, lazy, etc. as to what & where taxpayers dollars are spent is misdirection, is it an easy scapegoat. it maybe stops people from asking why their paychecks haven't really reflected the increased productivity for all these years? why corporate ceo's are making something like multiples in factors of 10s (in some cases 100x, even 1000x) their average workers? where are those low/medium skill-decent wage jobs went? alot of people are being marginalized, and ending welfare only increases that...

In PA you can use your WIC card for clothing. Jordans are considered clothing. So yeah, there goes that.

EVERY single papi store in the hood accepts WIC. So yeah. There goes that again.

And that Clinton thing is ONE aspect. Theres are many forms of welfare. I PROMISE you there are GENERATIONS of people on welfare in Philly.

Then not only counting whats on your WIC for the month you also can qualify for Crisis/Liheap, section 8, EBT, food stamps, "disability" checks and whatever else. People in my neighborhood are living completely free.

There is a career of learning how to beat the system. If the people applied all the crap they do to get "free" money, they might actually accomplish stuff in life. Thankfully, I was raised in a house where we worked. It starts from the top. We probably qualified for things, but my dad wouldn't allow it. If we didn't work for it, we couldn't have it.

Last edited:
Then not only counting whats on your WIC for the month you also can qualify for Crisis/Liheap, section 8, food stamps, "disability" checks and whatever else. People in my neighborhood are living completely free.

There is a career of learning how to beat the system. If the people applied all the crap they do to get "free" money, they might actually accomplish stuff in life. Thankfully, I was raised in a house where we worked. It starts from the top. We probably qualified for things, but my dad wouldn't allow it. If we didn't work for it, we couldn't have it.

some people I'm sure....but I'm willing to bet that there are more people who are just simply LIVING, and need that money to get by

some people I'm sure....but I'm willing to bet that there are more people who are just simply LIVING, and need that money to get by

Of course. I'm not saying all. I'm only saying what goes on in MY neighborhood. And is more scamming than not here I guarantee it.

Back
Top Bottom