ACA: Affordable Care Act (better known as OBAMACARE) - Enrollment Starts October 1st - You In?

all da GOP wanted to do is to delay or defund a law that is CLEARLY dysfunctional.
The law is not dysfunctional, the website as it stands currently is.  Big difference champ. 
oh yeah? wait till those sticker shock prices start to set in, and da ONLY people signing up are a giant adverse risk pool of sick people

instead of healthy young people who dont need or got da money (cuz of a **** economy) to pay for insurance....
laugh.gif
So basically your telling me and others about a POTENTIAL storm that you THINK is going to approach us all
laugh.gif
.  All you and I can do is just sit back hope this law works, we need your support champ. 
Marco Rubio bout to put a bill to delay it over da craptastic website
Marco Rubio is wasting his time. 

all da GOP wanted to do is to delay or defund a law that is CLEARLY dysfunctional.
The law is not dysfunctional, the website as it stands currently is.  Big difference champ. 
oh yeah? wait till those sticker shock prices start to set in, and da ONLY people signing up are a giant adverse risk pool of sick people

instead of healthy young people who dont need or got da money (cuz of a **** economy) to pay for insurance....
laugh.gif
So basically your telling me and others about a POTENTIAL storm that you THINK is going to approach us all
laugh.gif
  All you and I can do is just sit back hope this law works, we need your support champ. 
think? its ALREADY HAPPENING.

people are losing their coverage, young people are NOT flocking to sites in da numbers they need, and da site as a whole is lemon status.

rubio is gonna force da president to issue a veto warning on record and look WORSE for defending a law that melting before our very eyes.

people are losing their coverage, young people are NOT flocking to sites in da numbers they need, and da site as a whole is lemon status.

rubio is gonna force da president to issue a veto warning on record and look WORSE for defending a law that melting before our very eyes.
:lol:
at all of this.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
  All you and I can do is just sit back hope this law works, we need your support champ. 

As usual, you're wrong on all accounts muchacho.  As far as people losing their coverage, please don't show that video of those clowns on the Hannity show recently that said that they were losing their coverage.  They were already exposed as FRAUDS. 

As for as young people not signing up in flocks, I know of at least 2 young people that have signed up.  Not saying that's alot, but that was just information shared to me in casual conversations with certain people.  As in most things, you have to get it time champ.  Signing up for health coverage is not like going to ITunes and downloading a song for instant satisfaction.  People review and look over the different types of coverages they can get and what would work best for them. 

In regards to Marco Rubio, he needs to just get a drink of water...............off camera and just sit his dumb *** down.   Immediately, if not sooner.  He's wasting his time.

Edit--

While your at it ninjahood, make sure you take a look the recent poll numbers for the GOP and look at how low and how unfavorable they are.  Talk about rock bottom champ. 

Last edited:
[h1]Thousands Of Consumers Get Insurance Cancellation Notices Due To Health Law Changes[/h1]Topics: Insurance, Marketplace, Health Reform

By Anna Gorman and Julie Appleby

KHN Staff Writers

Oct 21, 2013

Health plans are sending hundreds of thousands of cancellation letters to people who buy their own coverage, frustrating some consumers who want to keep what they have and forcing others to buy more costly policies.

cancellation%20notice%20300.jpg

The main reason insurers offer is that the policies fall short of what the Affordable Care Act requires starting Jan. 1. Most are ending policies sold after the law passed in March 2010.  At least a few are cancelling plans sold to people with pre-existing medical conditions.

By all accounts, the new policies will offer consumers better coverage, in some cases, for comparable cost -- especially after the inclusion of federal subsidies for those who qualify. The law requires policies sold in the individual market to cover 10 “essential” benefits, such as prescription drugs, mental health treatment and maternity care. In addition, insurers cannot reject people with medical problems or charge them higher prices. The policies must also cap consumers’ annual expenses at levels lower than many plans sold before the new rules.

But the cancellation notices, which began arriving in August, have shocked many consumers in light of President Barack Obama’s promise that people could keep their plans if they liked them. 

“I don’t feel like I need to change, but I have to,” said Jeff Learned, a television editor in Los Angeles, who must find a new plan for his teenage daughter, who has a health condition that has required multiple surgeries.

An estimated 14 million people purchase their own coverage because they don’t get it through their jobs. Calls to insurers in several states showed that many have sent notices.

Florida Blue, for example, is terminating about 300,000 policies, about 80 percent of its individual policies in the state. Kaiser Permanente in California has sent notices to 160,000 people – about half of its individual business in the state.  Insurer Highmark in Pittsburgh is dropping about 20 percent of its individual market customers, while Independence Blue Cross, the major insurer in Philadelphia, is dropping about 45 percent.

Some Policies Targeted

Both Independence and Highmark are cancelling so-called “guaranteed issue” policies, which had been sold to customers who had pre-existing medical conditions when they signed up. Policyholders with regular policies because they did not have health problems will be given an option to extend their coverage through next year.

Consumer advocates say such cancellations raise concerns that companies may be targeting their most costly enrollees.

They may be “doing this as an opportunity to push their populations into the exchange and purge their systems” of policyholders they no longer want, said Jerry Flanagan, an attorney with the advocacy group Consumer Watchdog in California.

Insurers deny that, saying they are encouraging existing customers to re-enroll in their new plans.

“We continue to cover people with all types of health conditions,” said Highmark spokeswoman Kristin Ash.

She said some policyholders who may have faced limited coverage for their medical conditions will get new plans with “richer benefits” and the policies “in most cases, will be at a lower rate.”

Paula Sunshine, vice president of marketing with Independence, said the insurer hopes the cancelled policyholders will “choose Blue when they decide on a new plan.”

Higher Costs?

Some receiving cancellations say it looks like their costs will go up, despite studies projecting that about half of all enrollees will get income-based subsidies.

Kris Malean, 56, lives outside Seattle, and has a health policy that costs $390 a month with a $2,500 deductible and a $10,000 in potential out-of-pocket costs for such things as doctor visits, drug costs or hospital care.

As a replacement, Regence BlueShield is offering her a plan for $79 more a month with a deductible twice as large as what she pays now, but which limits her potential out-of-pocket costs to $6,250 a year, including the deductible.

“My impression was …there would be a lot more choice, driving some of the rates down,” said Malean, who does not believe she is eligible for a subsidy.

Regence spokeswoman Rachelle Cunningham said the new plans offer consumers broader benefits, which “in many cases translate into higher costs.”

“The arithmetic is inescapable,” said Patrick Johnston, chief executive officer of the California Association of Health Plans . Costs must be spread, so while some consumers will see their premiums drop, others will pay more -- “no matter what people in Washington say.”

Health insurance experts say new prices will vary and much depends on where a person lives, their age and the type of policy they decide to buy.  Some, including young people and those with skimpy or high-deductible plans, may see an increase. Others, including those with health problems or who buy coverage with higher deductibles than they have now, may see lower premiums.

Blue Shield of California sent roughly 119,000 cancellation notices out in mid-September, about 60 percent of its individual business.  About two-thirds of those policyholders will see rate increases in their new policies, said spokesman Steve Shivinsky.

Like other insurers, the Blue Shield letters let customers know they have to make a decision by Dec. 31 or they will automatically be enrolled in a recommended plan.

“There is going to be a certain amount of churn in the marketplace as people have to make their decisions,” Shivinsky said.

7 million by march b.... if not da law implodes on itself. you and me both know those numbers look slim to none right now
laugh.gif

7 million by march b.... if not da law implodes on itself. you and me both know those numbers look slim to none right now
laugh.gif
We'll just have to revisit this topic in March.  Until then, just know and realize that the GOP is free-falling as fast as possible.  Now's the time for you to jump ship champ and join the winning team.  We would love to have you on board, we can use a hard-worker such as yourself.  Think about it my man
wink.gif

Last edited:
So, I have to get some type of health insurance by February 14, 2014, correct? Last I read that was a deadline. Or can I just refuse it and accept the penalty?

this hearing sounds all too familiar.. 

I work in the QA department at my job, and my main duty is to test things on our website before they roll out

I can only imagine what a nightmare it was to test this thing.

there's no way in hell the back-end was ready for this flood in traffic, for one... they should have rolled it out in phases -- only allowing a certain region, # of people, or however they chose to group people access the site

but aside from it being broken, the testers and dev team hardly have any say so when it comes to pushing back a launch. this thing was going out on October 1st regardless. the people that usually make the decisions to push this garbage out are typically the ones with the least bit of knowledge on the technical side. all they know is that there are obligations to get this thing out. 

as a tester i get so frustrated when we get things that just aren't ready for prime time and people above us don't care that it's not as close to perfect as possible. they put it out there anyway and fix the issues later, which then turns to never because the dev team has other **** to work on. 

So, I have to get some type of health insurance by February 14, 2014, correct? Last I read that was a deadline. Or can I just refuse it and accept the penalty?
Its March 31. If 1% of your annual income is greater than the flat rate penalty of $95 (?) then you'll likely pay that. You can refuse it though unless the penalty of being thrown in jail is still available.

ummm ever google da demize of da cap & trade bill? da one party shove down of obamacare which spawned da creation of da tea party?

I usually rock with what you say, Ninja. And even if I don't agree, I typically can see the point you're trying to make.

But the inception of the Tea Party has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with Obamacare, Insurance, or really any specific piece of legislation -- though you can point to a number of instances where the Tea Party was put in the spotlight (the best example of this was the STIMULUS package that Obama signed off on, not the ACA.)

The Tea Party is, always has been, and always will be a political extension of the xenophobia that is prevalent across upper and middle class Americans. Their message is pretty simple: they don't like the direction that America is heading in, and they can most aptly point to the "dependent miniority groups" of this country for examples of what's wrong with this country, but swear up and down that they aren't racist. :rolleyes

http://www.slate.com/articles/video...history_of_the_tea_party_in_four_minutes.html

Back to the topic at hand; I'm all for the ACA and I think it's long overdue for the USA to have a universal healthcare system that borrows from the UK's NHS, but the administration has done an ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE job of developing their website. This should have definitely been a private sector contract, but the Government doesn't pay for quality of work. They pay for compliance to regulations. That's what you get when you prioritize where jobs go, not the quality of work done.

there's no way in hell the back-end was ready for this flood in traffic, for one... they should have rolled it out in phases -- only allowing a certain region, # of people, or however they chose to group people access the site

but aside from it being broken, the testers and dev team hardly have any say so when it comes to pushing back a launch. this thing was going out on October 1st regardless. the people that usually make the decisions to push this garbage out are typically the ones with the least bit of knowledge on the technical side. all they know is that there are obligations to get this thing out. 

as a tester i get so frustrated when we get things that just aren't ready for prime time and people above us don't care that it's not as close to perfect as possible. they put it out there anyway and fix the issues later, which then turns to never because the dev team has other **** to work on. 

ALL OF THIS. I've helped on the development side for a number of projects (I typically do analyst/training stuff) and after seeing what some of the devs who were working on the site were saying, I couldn't have imagined working in that environment.

I share your sentiments. CEO, who's technical abilties end with using an iPad, wants XYZ product out at this date, then demands that the devs responsible for it make available by that time. Who cares if it's insecure, has bugs, and the UI hasn't been polished? :smh:

Last edited:
^ Thanks. I know some other young people (26-34 year olds) are going to refuse it and just pay the penalty. Most young folks are in relatively good shape and rarely go to see a doctor because of it, at least among those I know. We've been to a doctor in the previous 4,5 months with no problems. For them to pretty much this down the throats of some doesn't seem right to me. I know why they want to enforce this thing but still.

laugh.gif
We'll just have to revisit this topic in March.  Until then, just know and realize that the GOP is free-falling as fast as possible.   Now's the time for you to jump ship champ and join the winning team.  We would love to have you on board, we can use a hard-worker such as yourself.  Think about it my man
wink.gif
yeah right, i dont belong to any political party...hell i wish libertarians were more in vogue.

bottomline is obamacare at da trajectory its currently at is on da way to a flaming crash.

young people are NOT signing up, and cost are gonna skyrocket, as it stands, most people who feel dont need insurance are just gonna take

da 99 dollar tax. this law is gonna render obama da lamest of lame ducks in 2014

Last edited:
Remember when Republicans were going to "tone down the rhetoric" after the election?

Remember when John Boehner said the PPACA was the "law of the land" after the election?

Ninjahood on Obamacare:

-Da public option gonna bankrupt the USA, B...... Without da public option this bill is trash

-Dis bill gonna fail if healthy people don't sign up.... Bama need to delay the mandate B.

-Da website not workin...... dis told you guys dis law is a fail.

-Ninja:No one has signed up B............voice from the crowd: "Prove it" "That's not true"................silence................more silence...........more silence..........Rico post an anti Obamacare article..........Ninja: :lol: See this law is a failure

Never thought I would say this, but where is FutureMD when you need him :lol:. Only he had the patience to go rounds wit this clown

Last edited:

yeah right, i dont belong to any political party...
Who are you trying to fool champ??  We see how you move and operate out here, the jig is up for you. 
oh because i ain't throwing went panties at da sight of obama? yea..sorry b, we dont do those if da president is doing a crappy job, and this obamacare

bout to handcuff him in for 2014...its looking REAL bad
laugh.gif

Who are you trying to fool champ??  We see how you move and operate out here, the jig is up for you. 
oh because i ain't throwing went panties at da sight of obama? yea..sorry b, we dont do those if da president is doing a crappy job, and this obamacare

laugh.gif
No my friend, it's because you get extra excited and strictly back the opinions and tactics of the Republican party.  Thus making you a wanna-be Republican (your zip code is where the "wanna-be" part comes into play, no offense by the way........just stating facts).  Also, say it with me champ, it's not Obamacare, it's the Affordable Care Act.  I'll accept ACA as another term to use as well. 

I'll tell you what's looking bad right now, the poll numbers for your GOP brethren, they looking real bad out here in these streets champ, real bad.  It's time you tell your boys to stand down, get out of the way or be prepared to keep the Senate in the Democrats hands and maybe just maybe the House as well.  Your call. 

^ Thanks. I know some other young people (26-34 year olds) are going to refuse it and just pay the penalty. Most young folks are in relatively good shape and rarely go to see a doctor because of it, at least among those I know. We've been to a doctor in the previous 4,5 months with no problems. For them to pretty much this down the throats of some doesn't seem right to me. I know why they want to enforce this thing but still.

If young people refuse to buy health care and decide to pay a penalty instead it is only going to hurt them. The penalty continues to rise every year, and there's no reason to end up paying around $700 (largest penalty in a few years) per year not to have health insurance, when you can pay a bit more than that a year to have coverage.

Young people don't know much about insurance unless they actually had to use it for more than going to see a doctor about a cold. Once young people realize that things like X-Rays, MRIs, minor surgeries, cost an outrages amount in this country without insurance they'll be quick to sign up for a basic plan.

If young people refuse to buy health care and decide to pay a penalty instead it is only going to hurt them. The penalty continues to rise every year, and there's no reason to end up paying around $700 (largest penalty in a few years) per year not to have health insurance, when you can pay a bit more than that a year to have coverage.

Young people don't know much about insurance unless they actually had to use it for more than going to see a doctor about a cold. Once young people realize that things like X-Rays, MRIs, minor surgeries, cost an outrages amount in this country without insurance they'll be quick to sign up for a basic plan.
here's da thing though....obamacare is gonna blow up before da tax ever gets to that point where they become so expensive, and by then election cycles will come

in and people will be voted in to repeal da law.

laugh.gif
Also, say it with me champ, it's not Obamacare, it's the Affordable Care Act.  I'll accept ACA as another term to use as well. 
liberals is shaking in their boots at OBAMACARE looking like a complete FAILURE thus far...

wait till November when da government has to show how many enrollment numbers....7 million by March? good luck
laugh.gif

here's da thing though....obamacare is gonna blow up before da tax ever gets to that point where they become so expensive, and by then election cycles will come

in and people will be voted in to repeal da law.
Going with your theory on the matter then, what would happen to the people that are already signed up for the Affordable Care Act and are receiving benefits is a repeal were to occur??

We can all agree that the rollout of ACA/ObamaCare/Socialism has been poor, but I don't see how folk are saying that the law itself is a failure and that no one wants it (minus Team Fox News in here)

Just because you're young doesn't mean you don't want/need health insurance. Young people get sick too :lol: I had some pretty major surgery at age 18 and would have been screwed if my dad didn't have insurance. Two surgeries plus a couple weeks of hospital stay costed six digits.

Back
Top Bottom