ACL Knee Surgery

In the hospital fresh out of surgery. Drugged up haha! Has anyone tore their acl before? I blew out my acl and tore my meniscus. It sucks but i feel goooood right now on this morphine. Any suggestions/stories. Love y'all

One of my boys had this exact same injury.

His knee has never been the same since. He did well during physical therapy and all.

All it takes is one little missed step and he's practically on the floor.

Still plays ball but not as hard as he used to.

Son! Rehab is gonna be a *****. Had this surgery in 2000 in my freshman year of college. A 5 min walk to the rehab center took me 30 min on crutches. In the next few days they're going to have you in physical therapy on an exercise bike. Prepare to scream in pain. It's going to hurt initially but it gets better. Stay strong mentally. The doctor will likely tell you no activity for about 8 months. It's definitely a grind. And um...throw away them pills when the pain isn't killing you, those things can be bad news man. They feel good now but I can see how people get hooked on them. Good luck with rehab.

I think I have a torn ACL. It's healed on it's own but I gotta go get it check out. Left knee.

Left knee gets weak sometimes....

I play ball at least 2 times a week but I reserve myself cause I feel my knee is running out.

Are there any exercises to help prevent this injury?

What type of graft did you get, fam? Good luck with recovery. The first two weeks are the worst, but it's all uphill from there. 

I think I have a torn ACL. It's healed on it's own but I gotta go get it check out. Left knee.

Nah son, that **** don't heal itself. It will feel good for a while but there are times when your knee gives out periodically and you feel like you're gonna fall. It's random though. Get that checked out.

I play ball at least 2 times a week but I reserve myself cause I feel my knee is running out.

Lower limb exercises.

muscle groups:
Hips - all directions
Quads
Hamstrings**
calves

-Dead lifts are good, but you have make sure you use proper technique.
-google "ACL rehab" or "acl tear prevention" I'm sure you will find some exercises.

WIKI:

The ACL originates from deep within the notch of the distal femur. Its proximal fibers fan out along the medial wall of the lateral femoral condyle. There are two bundles of the ACL—the anteromedial and the posterolateral, named according to where the bundles insert into the tibial plateau. The ACL attaches in front of the intercondyloid eminence of the tibia, being blended with the anterior horn of the medial meniscus. These attachments allow it to resist anterior translation and medial rotation of the tibia, in relation to the femur.

-Basically prevents your lower leg bone from sliding forward and the lower bone from twisting inwards.
-Strong hamstrings help prevent your lower leg from sliding forward too because of their function. Hamstrings end your knee (bring your knee to your butt).
-Be sure to stretch all your leg muscles too to prevent muscle injury.

Lower limb exercises.

muscle groups:
Hips - all directions
Quads
Hamstrings**
calves

-Dead lifts are good, but you have make sure you use proper technique.
-google "ACL rehab" or "acl tear prevention" I'm sure you will find some exercises.

WIKI:

The ACL originates from deep within the notch of the distal femur. Its proximal fibers fan out along the medial wall of the lateral femoral condyle. There are two bundles of the ACL—the anteromedial and the posterolateral, named according to where the bundles insert into the tibial plateau. The ACL attaches in front of the intercondyloid eminence of the tibia, being blended with the anterior horn of the medial meniscus. These attachments allow it to resist anterior translation and medial rotation of the tibia, in relation to the femur.

-Basically prevents your lower leg bone from sliding forward and the lower bone from twisting inwards.
-Strong hamstrings help prevent your lower leg from sliding forward too because of their function. Hamstrings end your knee (bring your knee to your butt).
-Be sure to stretch all your leg muscles too to prevent muscle injury.

That plus the D rose avi :lol: :smh:

My step brother is going through this at the moment. Says the therapy is getting tougher, but in all honesty as long as you stay dedicated and focused you should be fine. My stepbro was missing out on therapy sessions so he could chase some tail, now he's finally realizing that it isn't going to just fix itself. Look at the athletes like Shumpert, D-Rose, Peterson, motivation right there bro. I'll ask him what exercises he feels are the best ones to do.

My step brother is going through this at the moment. Says the therapy is getting tougher, but in all honesty as long as you stay dedicated and focused you should be fine. My stepbro was missing out on therapy sessions so he could chase some tail, now he's finally realizing that it isn't going to just fix itself. Look at the athletes like Shumpert, D-Rose, Peterson, motivation right there bro. I'll ask him what exercises he feels are the best ones to do.

How does he miss out on therapy? My experience was I had trouble walking for a long while and I had to go. Plus I was on campus so I had nothing else to do with my time but rehab and go to class. I hope he realizes that is serious man.

Tore my ACL in the summer of 2011. Was told by doctors that I was fine even after having an MRI that said I had a tear, and didn't actually get it repaired for a good 6 months afterwards by Dr. Arthur Ting located in Fremont, Ca. Just passed my one year from surgery on January 16, 2013. All I gotta say is stick with it, go hard in PT and you will be good. I went to PT for a good 8 months after surgery, and then proceeded to do the PT on my own after I was released from my clinic. I'm still working on strengthening my knee, and I feel like my legs are stronger now than they were pre-injury. The hardest thing is getting that confidence back, I started playing soccer and basketball, etc. about 8 months after my surgery and even now my confidence playing isn't at 100%. I started walking within a few days after surgery, the hardest part for me was getting that full range of motion back in my knee (probably the most painful too) Besides that the pain was never that excruciating, but I think that just depends on the person. BTW I have a cadaver. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:
I've had 2 knee surgeries, both for torn meniscus (both knees), and right after the surgery you feel like a million bucks on that morphine. It was always the next morning that the pain hit like a ton of bricks. Just make sure to keep the pain meds close by and take them on time every time. I thought

Good luck man, hope you have speedy recovery.

Thanks for the responses! Good information up there and I appreciate it. So i'm off that morphine and can actually think. Someone asked for the story so here it is.

In October I was playing soccer and got hit from the side and felt a pop but thought it was just from the knee colliding shook it off and kept playing. I had a basketball game that night and decided to keep playing on it. I went to make a hard cut crossover and just fell to the ground in pain. Knee was swollen huge and decided to get an MRI. MRI showed a torn ACL but I passed all the physical tests and did therapy for 3 weeks. Played ball for 2 more months on a torn ACL and recently went for a hard planting layup and tore my meniscus. It is a terrible feeling and I don't wish it on my worst enemy.

I walked today and it hurts so bad. On some heavy painkillers but not trying to get addicted. It seems key to follow instructions for rehab and everything else perfectly. Much love to anyone who has or is going through this long road. Day 1 starts now though :pimp:

Love my nt fan

Last night playing pickups, I swear I was so close to have my knee tear.

Running up court to stop a fast break and the dude slowed the ball up and my momentum carried me and I my right knee was so close to being done. I felt it smh

Rest of the night I took it light

I have a tiny tear in my meniscus that the doc said I don't need surgery on. Ish hurts so bad randomly and swells up like a mofo. Can't even imagine what you going through b. good luck.

I have done both the left and right ACLs in my knees. Left at 28 and then right at 30.

I had Tramadol for pain instead of Vicodin. Didn't eat the first week because the main side effect is ANOREXIA.

Staying on your rehab is key. I rehabbed both times for a year (I have AMAZING insurance). Pain will be through the roof, but you should know your body well enough what is "good" pain and "bad" pain.

Knock on wood, but I am 39 now and have no issues. I still play basketball and coach baseball (pitchers).

But really, I recommend the Tramadol.

tore my right ACL in 2006 and my left one in 2010. funny how my first surgery/rehab went way better than my second operation.

still playing basketball with reckless abandon though.

basketball is love.

Good luck in physio breh. That morphine feels good but the urine retention I got from it pissed me off.

Dislocated my kneecap and got a kneecap stabilisation surgery a year or 2 ago. Ridiculously painful, wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Think of that feeling of insane pain you feel when the docs push your kneecap back in place after dislocation, but now throughout the whole day. Pain continues like this for at least a week before it becomes somewhat bearable.

Not ashamed at all to admit I cried daily for a week after I was released from the hospital. Took about 500mg of Tramadol daily too. Couldn't form a proper sentence to save my life but the pain was still unbearable. Couldn't move so I basically just tried playing xbox and browsing my laptop all day from a matrass placed on the ground in my room.

Back
Top Bottom