Acne Question vol. Accutane??

What up NT, so I went to the dermatologist today tryin to get some help with acne and what not. Told him proactive was workin for a minute, but lately ithasn't been too effective, told him about a few other topical medications i've used as well and how they proved unsuccessful after a while.

He gives me a packet and suggests I look into Accutane, and that it requires a fairly strict 5 month regiment.. I'm glancin at the packet seein possibleside effects of depression, thinning of hair, stomach pains, etc.. Anybody every take Accutane or got any other acne remedies??

if your acne isn't terribly bad i'd say stay away form it.

as much as people say that what you eat doesn't affect your face i call ducktales..

my face was pretty bad a couple years ago...i started drinking a lot more water...no soda...no fried/greasy foods and followed the regimen on acne.org and myface has cleared up a lot.

definitely check out that website.

there are plenty of success stories with accutane tho

I used accutane and had some major bouts of depression, I never realized it since I didn't really pay attention to the side effects. I used to have tons offights with my GF, mom, and people at school, and lots of suicidal thoughts. But once I stopped it I was totally fine and not that angry and upset. It clearedup my acne really well, but it was tough for the time I was on it.

I'd stay away from Accutane if I were you. I have really bad acne, and even my doctor told me to stay away at all costs. Look for other alternatives andchange up your diet.

i wouldn't take it, there are just way too many side effects since it's the most powerful drug in the acne market ...another common side effect isjoint problems/pains, which is serioussss

how old are you? it's gonna go away in a few more years (assuming you're like 17ish)

accutane is very good. i bought it off some internet site. my face and nose is really oily and it dried up. also the blackheads on my nose just come out ontheir own or if i touch it, it will come off really easy.
be prepared to deal with dryness, use lotion and moisturizer everytime you get out of the shower or your face will shine. i used it for two months and the oilcame back after not using it. u should do 5 or 6 months straight for it to be effective. As for depression, its not the drug its the dry skin and people beasking why ur face so shiny or skin peeling. Plus you look at the mirror more than usual and u're really conscious when you go out because of the shinyskin/dry skin.

an alternative is cardio exercise. run till you sweat alot. how many athletes have acne problem? unless theyre on steroid or something.

deng...i remember just having bad acne in general made me really depressed. it came to a point, where i didn't leave my house for like 2 weeks. ididn't even wanna go down the street. luckily it was over the summer back in HS. but now, i got that amazing clear face steez going on. my poonani ratewent up.

my advice to u: if u got a lot of acne, don't be depressed and stay at home feeling insecure. Thats one thing i wish i could go back and change. seriously,go out and have fun and of course people will notice..but people aren't gonna call u out or anything, unless u hang around some lames. seriously, i havethis one homie that has HORRIBLE acne. at first i was like good god man that must suck, but after a while just chillen with me, i hardly notice it at all.

as for accutane: idk...i was contemplating this as well but i decided not to. my friend was on accutane and it dried his lips like crazy. it didn't workright away..probably after 2-3 months his face was clear...but then a few months later it came back.

don't worry man...it'll go away in time.

I took it and it worked. If you are a girl you can not get pregnant on it or bad things happen. I don't think it really affected my mood. It does make yourskin SUPER dry though. It peels off like a mask sometimes. Underneath, lies baby soft skin. I still get pimples but its like one every month or two and theyare usually nothing compared to the ones I used to get. I only had one bad pimple since accutane which was 2 years ago and I only took it for 3 and a halfmonths.

Originally Posted by rocboys

an alternative is cardio exercise. run till you sweat alot. how many athletes have acne problem? unless theyre on steroid or something.

true that
i run cross country and track and have little to no acne.

K I got had pretty bad acne in highschool.

I took acutane and within a month it was already clearing up.

As for the medicine making me depressed?

It didnt and I dunno how it could, It was making me depressed that my face looked like a slept on a pizza.
As soon as it started going away I felt better about myself.

Only 2 negatives to acutane is the fact that your skin gets dry...really dry and you cant really stay in the sun.

Your skin becomes sensitive to the sun and you'll burn in 5 min.

You cant drink on it either.

I'll see if i can find a high school picture and a picture of what I look like now.

Dont listen to these kids about OD running and exercise.

It'll end up making your face worse because of sweat and dirt if you dont wash it good.

Eating right does help but if you have bad acne it can only help so much.

Seriously, if your acne is bad do it. You wont regret it.

I wish I didnt wait as long as I did to take it and have to walk around with my face like that.

Me now:

ay3c0k.jpg

Looking for my highschool picture.

Originally Posted by LA213ESPG

^^ I run like 3 time a week and I also have no acne

Some people are not affected by acne, I have a couple of friends who never had a pimple in their life.

Originally Posted by LA213ESPG

^^ I run like 3 time a week and I also have no acne

From 6th Grade - throughout high school, I played basketball for about 3 hrs a day for 6 days a week.
If that logic was true I would have never gottenit.

If you have acne, you have acne.

my face is od dry lookin like a glazed donut right now i need a lotion that wont leave my face shiny what is good for thaT ?

I used the regimen on www.acne.org. I only had moderate acne, but it worked pretty well. I still get a pimple or two once in a while, but nothing ever big.

people just get acne (usually from hormones going wild...). it's not about eating bad or sweating too much (though it can aggravate the acne once you haveit)

i used to have pretty bad acne for one freakin' year in HS (i had great skin before that). i didn't know much about it so started poppin shiet likecrazy and now got some scars, which i don't like but what can you do. my family has a history of acne (dad, uncles, now my cousins... but some peeps in myfam have like the perfect skin).

i use proactiv and it works great. i still get the occasional pimple here and there b/c of stress from school or relationships... but generally it isn'tbad. once it clears up for sure, i'll just get some microdermabrasion and clear the scars up.

but yea, try to solve the problems. acne can get you down man.

i used accutne in highschool as well, dry face dry lips thats pretty much the side effects for me. but they tell you to put on mostiruizer on at night soyou're not as dry as you should be. i was never depressed when i was on it, actually it had the reverse side effect on me. i was more out there then i wasbefore. it really does work, it cleared up my acne real well. after you're done with it you still might get some pimples and what not but it'll be justlike one here and there and thats it. i dont know i liked it and i would use it again if i was breaking out.

if you have severe acne and nothings working, then definitely go for it, if its your last alternative. that was kind of my scenario back in the beginning ofhigh school. Accutane should be used as a last resort, its definitely effective, but over a span of 6-12 months depending on the individual. It's prettycostly and its side effects are pretty dam tough.

My side effects were:
- more prone to cuts for some reason
- cuts took longer to heal
- cracked lips (aquaphor solved this)
- dry skin
- random periods of time where my eyes would roll to the back of my head and i would spaz (I am Legend style)

Aside from the side effects, it'll do work when it comes to acne.

Oh yea, I forgot to mention how much of a B it is. You sign ridiculous contracts and initial here/there. And you gotta give like 2 containers of blood for theblood work every month. A

If you do take it, look into aquaphor and some good lotion (aveeno?). Drink ridiculous amounts of water too!

Originally Posted by Gettin It Crackin

I'd stay away from Accutane if I were you. I have really bad acne, and even my doctor told me to stay away at all costs. Look for other alternatives and change up your diet.

There are alternatives like above said but if you have really bad acne its temporary. Creams like Retin A. Are good but after a while your
skin will get used to it. I have tried them all.
Accutane is an incredibly concentrated form of Vitamin A. Which is found in all acne medications to some degree. It works by shrinking the
nodes (forgetting the corrrect word at this time) that create oily skin.
I currently use accutane and I dont even have bad acne just oily skin. But as someone said if it bothers you and you want to get rid of it you use what willwork. And Accutane works.

The thing with side affects with any drug is that if anyone during the course of case studies experienced any of them they have have to put the
warnings. I have only had the dry lips and skin. If you are a person of color you are used to putting on lotion so just put some more. i use aveeno which isgreat and carmax lip balm. Some joint pain but none that are serious most felt like I was sore from ball. Which in most cases was true because i was stillplaying sports.
There was a senator's son that commited suicide and he happened to be on it. so the thought was that accutane made him depressed. But at no point has thatbeen confirmed especially since he could have been depressed before he even took the meds.

Whoever said they ordered it over the internet should be careful. And I would not recommend doing that.
It is a very well regulated Med. You need regular docter visits and to be a member of the Ipledge program to get these meds administered. Which involvesregular blood work since the increse in vitamin A in your system increases also your cholesterol. For women the rules are a lot more strict.

I forgot no alchol and avoid the sun. The reason you get small cuts easier expecially on your hand at least thats where i get them is because it makes yourskin thinner by removing up to 2 layers of your skin.

i used it and im Fine i took blood test and everythings good. dont ask me For the site.

I used Accutane also because my Dermatologist said it would be good. And it worked out great except i had real sensitive skin while i was on it, but he alsogave me prescribed a cream for that.

i took accutane. It worked, but i think you have to stay with it for 6 months? Theres tons of side affects. The one problem i had with accutane was dryness,and ended up i got a lot of bloody noses. So drink plenty of fluids.

Originally Posted by whyte1der05five

K I got had pretty bad acne in highschool.

I took acutane and within a month it was already clearing up.

As for the medicine making me depressed?

It didnt and I dunno how it could, It was making me depressed that my face looked like a slept on a pizza.
As soon as it started going away I felt better about myself.

Only 2 negatives to acutane is the fact that your skin gets dry...really dry and you cant really stay in the sun.

Your skin becomes sensitive to the sun and you'll burn in 5 min.

You cant drink on it either.

I'll see if i can find a high school picture and a picture of what I look like now.

Dont listen to these kids about OD running and exercise.

It'll end up making your face worse because of sweat and dirt if you dont wash it good.

Eating right does help but if you have bad acne it can only help so much.

Seriously, if your acne is bad do it. You wont regret it.

I wish I didnt wait as long as I did to take it and have to walk around with my face like that.

Me now:

ay3c0k.jpg

Looking for my highschool picture.

are you the dude from true life, the one with the twins.

well i took doxycycline hyclate pills and put tretinoin on my face at night,

you only take it for a few months and it worked pretty well for me, all i get are little whiteheads once in a while.

when you take it, you should eat it with something or your stomach will hella hurt, i threw up once while i was on it.

Back
Top Bottom