ADIDAS BOOST Thread - PAGE 1 for INFO- *NO BUYING/SELLING/TRADING*

How many 3.0s have you copped this year?

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • 1-2

Votes: 33 42.9%
  • 3+

Votes: 27 35.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think ultraboosts will soon be, if they aren't already, kind of like the air force 1, where they aren't hyped, but will always be made because they have a look that ages well and are really comfy. Most of them won't be sellouts, but I could see them selling steady for years to come. Which is fine by me, hype doesn't play a part in what shoes I buy.

I see a lot of non-sneakerhead types wearing boost, so adidas is getting a ton of revenue compared to like 10 years ago. Sometimes I forget, casual buyers are where the real money is being made for these companies. Sneakerheads are a very small demographic in the big scheme of things. Nike's best selliing sneaker last year was the Tanjun.

Nike has like 200 models. Adidas was dependent on two and Yeezy's.

I see people in reacts, a dud to me is the Prophere

and it's hard to complain about two OG Jordan 1's being released a month, when Adidas was literally putting out 10 NMD colorways in one day.

And they killed collabs by doing them with NMD and Ultraboost to the point nothing could be done new. Here's a new black collab. Here's a new white and black collab.
agree with all of this and I will add they also dilute the specialness of the collabs by waiting less then a year to mimic them in GR versions... making folks not want to buy them.

I don't mind the AJ1's as I like that model (though they did release way too many colorways, and lot of them were trash quality), my comment was more to do with "new" designs. Neither brand really came out with any absolute stunner sellers that were not Yeezy / Off-White (which were no new models anyway, just the Virgil touch on existing models). Air Max 720's were duds (they look OK, but supposedly the air bags aren't that comfy).

Someone mentioned Propheres being duds, which they were - but I've seen more of those in the wild than React Elements. I bought a pair of Reacts from NDC and they were just OK. Add in people having issues with dirt getting inside of the see-through part and I just returned them. I probably wouldn't buy many Adidas shoes that don't have boost. I like the new Ozweego's but wish they had boost.

Of all the shoes in my collection, I usually just end up wearing UB's or 700's.

Depends on what your expectations are of “new” are. These companies need scale/volume to impact their financials. If you’re looking for ground breaking technology every year for example, I think that’s an unrealistic expectation. These companies use technology to build platforms from. Nikeair has been around for what +30 years now? Boost is still new at 5 years old and evolving. React was launched as a competitor to boost and along with the cushioning, offers longer life +600 miles which is about 20% longer when tested against Boost.

I personally think both are offering a lot of variation and technology is moving faster. 4D for example is still being worked out for the masses. But based on your comments, you’re looking to be wow’d. Seems more like lifestyle and collabs are fueling the market. So if you’re not into Kanye, Virgil, Jerry, fill in the blank you’re not going to be satisfied.

Last edited:
Definitely.

UBs and NMDs were initially targeted to sneakerheads. I think by slashing prices, Adidas is able to attract the non-sneakerhead market who would otherwise not drop $180 on UBs and $130-$170 on NMDs like sneakerheads used to. In a way, it makes sense since Adidas probably saw the sneakerhead market was oversaturated with Boost products so they could then reach the non-sneakerhead market simply by cutting prices. The irony is that much of the same hypebeast crowd that proclaims “Boost is dead!” were saying “Boost is life!” just a few years ago because of how comfortable the tech was but really they were simply on the hype train since nothing, in terms of tech, has really matched the sheer comfort of Boost yet.

The sneakers you mentioned and most sneakers regardless of technology literally cost $30 to make and land in the US. They weren’t designed for sneaker heads, sneakerheads gravitated to them do to lifestyle coming into fashion and them being limited. If adidas for example thought or knee they could have pushed more units they would have made much more stock. Their market research just didn’t support high volumes of boost sneakers.

Nike and Adidas for example are selling into wholesale at 50% or less than MSRP and making 45% margins at those prices. Point being Nike and Adidas are more so marketing companies than anything else. Sneakers are designed, planned, and into their supply chains 18-24 months before reaching the consumer. So you’ll see them discount to clear stock and reset strategy around models going forward. It takes time to move these giant companies, they’re not nimble.

The sneakers you mentioned and most sneakers regardless of technology literally cost $30 to make and land in the US. They weren’t designed for sneaker heads, sneakerheads gravitated to them do to lifestyle coming into fashion and them being limited. If adidas for example thought or knee they could have pushed more units they would have made much more stock. Their market research just didn’t support high volumes of boost sneakers.

Nike and Adidas for example are selling into wholesale at 50% or less than MSRP and making 45% margins at those prices. Point being Nike and Adidas are more so marketing companies than anything else. Sneakers are designed, planned, and into their supply chains 18-24 months before reaching the consumer. So you’ll see them discount to clear stock and reset strategy around models going forward. It takes time to move these giant companies, they’re not nimble.

Oh for sure, I was just pointing out how, for example, when 1.0 UBs were released a few years ago, there was nowhere near the stock levels of 4.0 UBs. I’m not sure if this was because of production limitations, unexpected popularity in the model, etc. etc. but it was much harder to attain 1.0 UBs than 4.0 UBs and, although discounts on certain cws could be had, there were nowhere near the discounts we’ve seen on 4.0 UBs.

Oh for sure, I was just pointing out how, for example, when 1.0 UBs were released a few years ago, there was nowhere near the stock levels of 4.0 UBs. I’m not sure if this was because of production limitations, unexpected popularity in the model, etc. etc. but it was much harder to attain 1.0 UBs than 4.0 UBs and, although discounts on certain cws could be had, there were nowhere near the discounts we’ve seen on 4.0 UBs.

Yeah, does seem like they mistimed the market on both ends. Too limited early on, too many units much later. I just don’t think Adidas ever had the intention of ultraboosts being limited. Of everything I’ve read over the years, in order to have something be exclusive, demand needs to outpace supply by 2 to 1 or greater. They’re ‘managing’ Yeezys to this, or at least trying. Nike and JB are doing the same with their halo models as well.

Re-commerce/resale making everything accessible makes things interesting and seems to be fueling sell outs much quicker on any sneaker not made in commercial volume.

It's odd how Adidas is still pushing/marketing boost when 2018/2019 was supposed to be the age of 4D/Futurecraft tech . We are approaching Q4 and i haven't seen much to GR them as their MSRP is in the $350 and $500 range.

Never really liked the 4d hype. I just cant get down with green soles. To each to his own tho

AB89797B-FB2B-4CE5-ACDE-26D36C038BB1.png

Man those NK UBs are kinda wild.

All those colors are throwing me off a bit. Think it would've been really nice if they did it like the NK NMDs with just two colors. Still better than that UNDFTD collab though :smh:

201187_01.jpg

Back
Top Bottom