Adidas NMD thread

NMDs will die quicker than the UB or EQTs.
I passed on all these recent prime knits and sold all of my NMDs, and spent a ton of money on Yeezys and UBs...

The time is coming.

But still looking forward to CS2s (blue japan wave, kith, green gucci)  they are an entirely different silhouette though, and look like sick slip ons. 

Neither UBs EQTs are dead lol
And neither is dying.

Especially when UB have Yeezy hype unfortunately extending to them. Besides, are EQT even that big to begin with? It was just recently with the EQT 93-17 Boost that the EQT got significant attention. Or has EQT been big in the sneaker game before? Thought it was just a niche following before recently.

Also, Adidas can easily generate NMD hype again with extremely limited releases and sought after collabs.

Last edited:
And neither is dying.

Especially when UB have Yeezy hype unfortunately extending to them. Besides, are EQT even that big to begin with? It was just recently with the EQT 93-17 Boost that the EQT got significant attention. Or as EQT been big in the sneaker game before?

Also, Adidas can easily generate NMD hype again with extremely limited releases and sought after collabs.

Agree and I may add that the EQT can't be particularly ULTRA hyped as the UBs NMDs and yeezys but it's a constant sell for adidas The silhouette is solid and you can see a lot of people wearing it , being the og model or all of its iterations so maybe not that big as the other but a constant seller

And for the NMDs adidas can do better with the pk models , looking at what we've had lately or it was either really dull (the gum pack) or something that we were waiting since early April 2016 ( the tricos)

Agree and I may add that the EQT can't be particularly ULTRA hyped as the UBs NMDs and yeezys but it's a constant sell for adidas The silhouette is solid and you can see a lot of people wearing it , being the og model or all of its iterations so maybe not that big as the other but a constant seller

And for the NMDs adidas can do better with the pk models , looking at what we've had lately or it was either really dull (the gum pack) or something that we were waiting since early April 2016 ( the tricos)

Thought so. Even if the EQT market share is small as a percentage of the overall sneaker market, it has a strong niche following and as you noted, it's a recognizable sneaker.

Ageeed on NMD's as well. Gums are meh in person. I still like the Black Gum but they are nothing special. Same with the Tricolors. Besides, Adidas flooded the market with PKs using the Tricolors, OGs and Gum pack. PK NMDs were fairly limited previously. Even with the Japan city pack and it's restocks.

I'm actually contemplating selling my Japan Blacks with the Triple Black and Triple White Japan pack coming out. No reason to have both Black versions.

Last edited:

NMDs will die quicker than the UB or EQTs.
Die in terms of the 0.01% population who's considered a "sneakerhead".

But it is doing better and better in terms of sales to the general mass market that is the real profit driving population.

Selling 20k pairs of Yeezy is nothing, probably not even any real profits after factoring the royalty / contract / marketing costs related to Kanye and Yeezy.

Die in terms of the 0.01% population who's considered a "sneakerhead".

But it is doing better and better in terms of sales to the general mass market that is the real profit driving population.

Selling 20k pairs of Yeezy is nothing, probably not even any real profits after factoring the royalty / contract / marketing costs related to Kanye and Yeezy.
I think what happened to Roshes will happen to NMD. They are basic sneakers that attract casuals . They will sell , but the status and hype of the sneaker will die sooner than expected. EQT are a whole different beast, marketed to a different genre.

Last edited:

Here you go guys.  Just shot these recently:
OMG. Finally got the White/Gums from Adidas which are [emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji]. Then this bomb gets dropped. Can't catch a break here.

@reigning

Any idea on the exclusivity of the Japan Triple Black and White pack? Will it be more of a GR like the Tricolors, OG NMD & Gum Pack? Really hope so but I have a feeling Adidas gave everyone enough PKs recently so they're going to try and generate hype again. Especially, since they're releasing the Japan Blacks as Triple Black like they were originally meant to be. 

I think I'll return my White Gums anyways and hold out for the Japan Triple Whites. Going to sell my Japan Black as well. Going to cut down a lot of my NMDs to be honest with the new Japan TB/TW and the Japan Camo Green/Pink we've seen posted on instagram. 

So I guess this is a new annual tradition. Year starts with people spouting NMDs are the new Rosche during Yeezy SZN, then the new Human Races, collabs and super limited NMDs drop during the warmer months and the thread blows up, then in the fall Yeezy SZN returns and everyone goes back to turning their nose up at the NMDs.

So focused on the ground that people can't even see the Adidas puppet strings above their head. There is a very targeted rollout calendar, and Adidas schedules in these ebbs and flows for maximum exposure at key points to their premium shoes.

There is a key difference between NMDs and Yeezys: NMDs can have collabs. You have one single Supreme or Louis Vuitton collab and suddenly the world is talking about NMDs again, not to mention Bape and Mastermind practically kicking down the door to do another collab after the success last years NMDs brought their brand. A shark Bape NMD with fuzzy WGM on it would have people murdering each other in the streets.

NMDs have become a more nuanced shoe in the cultural zeitgeist, and this is intentional on Adidas part. People get hung up on the idea that anyone can easily get a pair of NMDs now and thus they are played out, but the limited shoes keep the conversation for the hypebeasts and resellers as "Yeah you may have a pair of NMDs...but you don't have THESE NMDs (flashes Bape Olives)". The same folks saying the value of OG NMDs is going down are the same people failing to notice the value of Red Apples, Pitch Blacks, and Human Races are currently going up. There is a lot of value in that side of the model so you can bet there are some fire collabs on the way.

For me, I can chill and see the value in both NMDs and Yeezys in the larger context of what they are looking to do in the marketplace. If the shoe isn't for you anymore because your kid sister has a pair I understand the gut reaction, but when you pop back in the thread bragging about the two pairs of Human Races you copped a month later get ready for a good amount of eye rolls.

/End rant. :smile:

Lol that is one long as rant AO

Yes there is a reason how the release schedule is panned out.

3 stripes has it all figured out strategically...the Yzy releases may not earn them much perhaps, but the buying power / energy that feeds it after will fall on other releases...like some kind of synergy. 

For example, how they release the Bape NMDs..create VERY little of it..then release the Camo XR1's at exact same time. 

This year, the EQT gonna rise. Just look at the number of releases for EQT in the first few weeks on the year, with the delayed PushaT's 'leading' the pack, supplemented by the new 93/17.

There is a reason for everything.

Lol that is one long as rant AO

Yes there is a reason how the release schedule is panned out.

3 stripes has it all figured out strategically...the Yzy releases may not earn them much perhaps, but the buying power / energy that feeds it after will fall on other releases...like some kind of synergy. 

For example, how they release the Bape NMDs..create VERY little of it..then release the Camo XR1's at exact same time. 

This year, the EQT gonna rise. Just look at the number of releases for EQT in the first few weeks on the year, with the delayed PushaT's 'leading' the pack, supplemented by the new 93/17.

There is a reason for everything.

Exactly. You get it brother. Good post.

I have a feeling those monochrome japans will be limited to bring back they hype, but they release in August so another hyped release may come before then 

And, holy, those new Pharrell shoes look amazing,The Summers, not the NMDs

Back
Top Bottom