Adidas overtakes Jordan on list of top U.S. sport footwear

False. They make basketball shoes, training shoes, baseball cleats, golf cleats (they did football cleats too but not sure if still currently), kids collections, head to toe apparel, accessories (like headbands, wristbands, bags, equipment), and probably some more stuff.

Adidas is great. Nike is better.

The sales numbers they're talking about are US athletic footwear marketshare, so the apparel and accessories don't count. You're correct about Jordan technically making more than just basketball shoes, but it's not like they've ever tried to be a player in any athletic footwear market other than basketball. The number of products they sell for other sports pales in comparison to the amount of Adidas models on the market. Adidas has definitely grown and gotten better (although I personally don't like their newer stuff), but comparing their sales to Jordan instead of Nike as a whole is more marketing than anything else.

My hope for all this is Nike just makes a better product. Come out with the shoes they know we all want the correct way. Too many non sig type Jordans out there. Scale that back a bit. Make the flagship model a TRUE original design, and make the retros true to original form. I'm good with plus colorways also, just make them with better quality overall. Don't skip tech on any of them.
My worry, is they will go back to a few years ago when it was so hard just to get that GR trying to make their product appear so prestige. I hope they don't go that route.

Based upon what I'm reading in the Navy XI thread, I hope my worry isn't reality.

maybe i'm just cynical, but seems like the response to losing money would be cutting production cost, not increasing production cost to compete with a company that really isn't competitive, we're taking about 42% to 11%, that's not exactly coke and pepsi

This is the wake up call they needed. Like airave pointed out this company has not been innovative since the 90s. They have been running off 1-14 retro fumes this whole millenium. Social media and smartphones gave JB a second wind but now its fading away. Time for them to devote all of their time to make a true out of the park, automatic classic flagship model like they used to every year when i was growing up. No more "inspired by the past designs". The 31 and 32 are boring and lazily created. We have seen some sort of remix or frankenstein job on every Jordan model. They dont have any options but to create a game changing shoe at this point.

I said this before also but its time to put the 1-14 in a vault for a decade to keep the allure of this brand for the future. OK that may be asking for too much but something more realistic is to scale back retro releases completely. The shareholders are going to miss the weekly money grab but JB can build back excitement and pride to the brand if they would drop 4-5 quality marquee retros a year liked they used to do. Just imagine if JB grew a set and released a tweet that says this is the ONLY WEDNESDAY releases they are giving us for 2018:

Jan 31 2018- Nike Air Jordan III Black/Cement Grey

May 30 2018- Nike Air Jordan IV Black/Red

Sept 5 2018- Nike Air Jordan III Mocha/White

Dec 19 2018- Nike Air Jordan XI-White/Black/Concord

Adidas would go into panic mode. I promise you people would be psychologically tricked into not buying or having interest in any other shoes but Jordans. Everyone would talk about these shoes all day and revamp intrest in the brand like never seen before. I think they can even out do galaxy foam, 2011 concord level hype. Those space out dates build up the perfect amount of anticipation. Going back to Wednesday releases would be bold and revolutionary for 2018. I feel like middle of the week releases entices more buyers to come out than on a Saturday. The reason why alot of these kicks sit on the shelves is because these new Jordan buyers are spoiled with double weekly releases. JB can afford to starve em out a bit. Let them finally feel the thirst of waiting and obsessing a few months for that model you want with cash in your hands. It turns you into a different type of consumer for the brand.

what i don't understand is we don't want to go back to camping out for jordans, but jordan needs to limit the access to popular models and use a better quality of material

if he made them limited that would mean he didn't have to increase the quality,
appreciate where we are with jordan availability

This is the wake up call they needed. Like airave pointed out this company has not been innovative since the 90s. They have been running off 1-14 retro fumes this whole millenium. Social media and smartphones gave JB a second wind but now its fading away. Time for them to devote all of their time to make a true out of the park, automatic classic flagship model like they used to every year when i was growing up. No more "inspired by the past designs". The 31 and 32 are boring and lazily created. We have seen some sort of remix or frankenstein job on every Jordan model. They dont have any options but to create a game changing shoe at this point.

I said this before also but its time to put the 1-14 in a vault for a decade to keep the allure of this brand for the future. OK that may be asking for too much but something more realistic is to scale back retro releases completely. The shareholders are going to miss the weekly money grab but JB can build back excitement and pride to the brand if they would drop 4-5 quality marquee retros a year liked they used to do. Just imagine if JB grew a set and released a tweet that says this is the ONLY WEDNESDAY releases they are giving us for 2018:

Jan 31 2018- Nike Air Jordan III Black/Cement Grey

May 30 2018- Nike Air Jordan IV Black/Red

Sept 5 2018- Nike Air Jordan III Mocha/White

Dec 19 2018- Nike Air Jordan XI-White/Black/Concord

Adidas would go into panic mode. I promise you people would be psychologically tricked into not buying or having interest in any other shoes but Jordans. Everyone would talk about these shoes all day and revamp intrest in the brand like never seen before. I think they can even out do galaxy foam, 2011 concord level hype. Those space out dates build up the perfect amount of anticipation. Going back to Wednesday releases would be bold and revolutionary for 2018. I feel like middle of the week releases entices more buyers to come out than on a Saturday. The reason why alot of these kicks sit on the shelves is because these new Jordan buyers are spoiled with double weekly releases. JB can afford to starve em out a bit. Let them finally feel the thirst of waiting and obsessing a few months for that model you want with cash in your hands. It turns you into a different type of consumer for the brand.
You got a lot of good points here. But what happens there is we go full circle back to the days where kids are skipping class, grown men skipping work, and the massive amount of complaints due to lack of availability of the shoe. No one wants to go back to the 2011 Concord days. Standing in line in the middle of the night for a pair of shoes is crazy. And I have done it myself. I'm not defending nike by no means but they really are in a no win situation with consumers. If they mass produce, people look down to them because they are so easy to get. If they limit them, people are pissed but their product appears more prestige.

You got a lot of good points here. But what happens there is we go full circle back to the days where kids are skipping class, grown men skipping work, and the massive amount of complaints due to lack of availability of the shoe. No one wants to go back to the 2011 Concord days. Standing in line in the middle of the night for a pair of shoes is crazy. And I have done it myself. I'm not defending nike by no means but they really are in a no win situation with consumers. If they mass produce, people look down to them because they are so easy to get. If they limit them, people are pissed but their product appears more prestige.

Unfortunately that's just the cycle. Produce small quantity, people want it more because it's limited. To meet demand and generate more revenue, company increases production, until it exceeds demand, now people don't want it because it's not limited, so company scales back production, and the whole thing repeats again.

Cop those outlet kicks now, because in a few years people will be calling them "limited" and "rare" - see Jordan 12 rising sun.

What I don't understand is JB limiting shoes they have to know everyone and their grandma is salivating over. I can understand them cutting back on retro plus shoes that are rotting on shelves, but not classic colorways.

That would be like Nintendo telling everyone who doesn't have a Switch yet to screw off and they ain't making anymore.

Yep, unfortunately consumers go with what is hot instead of having their own identity. The days of sticking to what you like seem to be going away in place of following the crowd.

maybe i'm just cynical, but seems like the response to losing money would be cutting production cost, not increasing production cost to compete with a company that really isn't competitive, we're taking about 42% to 11%, that's not exactly coke and pepsi

Yep. One thing to keep an eye on is the Nike-Amazon partnership. Curious to see how it plays out.

Nike & JB combined also make nicer apparel than adidas. I mean some stuff by nike & jb kinda cheesy but id rather rock them then the classic swishy swash 3 stripe tracksuit

Plus i like all the collabs nike and jb have

Supreme x adidas? Yea right
Goretex x adidas? Nikes dunks >
Apple x adidas? Why

Simply put, Nike & jordan are American
Adidas is German

I like the US brand

Last edited by a moderator:
Real talk only thing adidas I ever had was a pair of socks in middle school and I kept em under my bed all during school. They got super crusty loooool

I think Jordan Brand still produces the best performance basketball shoes out there. For example, I don't think a single brand (including Nike Basketball, ironically) can even hold a candle to the on court performance of the Air Jordan XX9.

That said, if Jordan Brand treated every retro release like the 2016 Space Jams, I think they could maintain their legacy for years and years to come. That specific release showed that JB was capable of releasing a thoughtful, good quality GR with enough pairs for anyone who actually wanted one at retail. Quite frankly, Nike/JB swindled customers with the "remastered" nonsense and we all clearly now see that as an excuse to increase already high prices. Hilariously, Adidas came in and took a lot of the sneakerhead hype away so now almost every $190 GR retro goes on sale. If JB scaled back to fewer, better CW and higher quality GRs, I think hype would start to come back to the brand.

Pretty much "kids" or those who dont want to shell out $180-250+ for js are going to look elsewhere. Adults are like the same retro higher $ and quality will vary? Maybe cop maybe not. Chances are you're a veteran or og that cops some nikes/js that is nostalgic, or you couldn't cop in the past, or you really love nike/jb. The prices for nike/j retros are kinda unwarranted considering quality/color/shape/material etc

nike tries influencing by using dj khaled? We dont need khaled
Adidas uses kanye, and kanye > khaled
So if not yeezys then less expensive pure/ultraboosts, superstars, nmd etc. If they got other influencers

Top of line adidas happen to be their yeezy, amazing that some will pay top $ for that although each model happen to be lmtd, but adidas tries to make More yeezys but the hype is run by Kanye

Does Nike direct deposit your Jordan Brand checks or do you cash them yourself?
No one here is more critical of Nike than me. I keep things 100 all day. What part of that quote or metaphor is wrong?

Nike sucks in some aspects but let's be real, Adidas is nowhere near Nike as this headline would have you believe. It's just more forcefed hype from Adidas. But at the end of the day it all comes down to one thing, design. And thats where Adidas sucks, and that's a crime that is unforgivable. To me, Adidas was always that brand that was a step away from zip tying their pairs together like Wal Mart. It is what it is. Adidas will be back to business as usual soon enough because they don't know what to do with their new money anyway. Kanye has been pretty much rendered brain dead after that rant from the looks of it, and Kanye is the sole reason Adidas is even a topic of discussion right now. What do you see happening when the next album drops and it's unrecognizable garbage? Suddenly no one cares about yeezys and therefore Adidas. That's the difference between Jordan and Kanye. Jordan's legacy is set in stone. Kanye has plenty of opportunities left to ruin everything with medocrity.

Last edited:
And to be honest, all of this market saturation , all classic retros from the vault coming out with original branding, and projected growth from Mark Parker has me thinking Nike/Jordan is about to be sold to the highest bidder anyway. So enjoy these last days while you can. It all ends in 2020 when some dude from china takes the reigns.

Doesn't boost get uncomfortable after a few hours of wear? And either way, Adidas didn't develop it and Nike passed for whatever reason. I'm sure all brands will use boost once the contract is up and Adidas can't pay the new price.

Nike has enough money and talent to defeat boost and the tech will most likely be their own. It's just a matter of time unless they actually do sell the company.

Personally, I just want the old air bags back so I can enjoy those first KGs with the fingerprint sole, the Fab 5s, air Max 93 and 95s again.

Doesn't boost get uncomfortable after a few hours of wear? And either way, Adidas didn't develop it and Nike passed for whatever reason. I'm sure all brands will use boost once the contract is up and Adidas can't pay the new price.

They don't get uncomfortable. You just notice it less. They sort of become one with your feet.

All boost ain't the same though. NMD's are very ordinary. If you get NMD's and don't have 93/17's, Inikis or ultraboost and brag about how comfortable boost is you're just trying to be like everyone else and in it for the hype.

Back
Top Bottom