Adidas x Fear Of God Athletics

Make a doc on the behind the scenes, heck do small segments, part 1 , part 2..etc in the lead up & keep interests up. Everyone is on short attention spans nowadays.

Alas ADI is just horrid at marketing. If they've really sunk alot of moolah and time on this partnership they could at least dedicate a team of 10-20 during the covid down turn, document the process. Then make edits and package it up creatively.

This is what they needed to generate eye traffic & awareness., because the units here are tonal. Quiet luxury is the buzzword and that bubble can burst anytime. JL just doesn't have the star power like adi's lost prodigy son. Vindicate that relevance because there's so much options now.

At least by marketing properly it sheds some light on the "COST" & the "story" which really matters a lot today. Consumers are more discerning, especially in the current landscape. Boutiques are closing down left & right....crazy price slashes due to over abundance of inventory. It's starting to B2B consumer on a higher frequency.

Then you minimise the chatter on the price point, retain your targeted audience w/o alienating those observing from outside looking in. (and don't get me started on that OT tirade while waiting for admission to Tokyo Disney Land.)

Make a doc on the behind the scenes, heck do small segments, part 1 , part 2..etc in the lead up & keep interests up. Everyone is on short attention spans nowadays.

Alas ADI is just horrid at marketing. If they've really sunk alot of moolah and time on this partnership they could at least dedicate a team of 10-20 during the covid down turn, document the process. Then make edits and package it up creatively.

This is what they needed to generate eye traffic & awareness., because the units here are tonal. Quiet luxury is the buzzword and that bubble can burst anytime. JL just doesn't have the star power like adi's lost prodigy son. Vindicate that relevance because there's so much options now.

At least by marketing properly it sheds some light on the "COST" & the "story" which really matters a lot today. Consumers are more discerning, especially in the current landscape. Boutiques are closing down left & right....crazy price slashes due to over abundance of inventory. It's starting to B2B consumer on a higher frequency.

Then you minimise the chatter on the price point, retain your targeted audience w/o alienating those observing from outside looking in. (and don't get me started on that OT tirade while waiting for admission to Tokyo Disney Land.)

Lot of talk on cost and whatnot but I think the bigger issue is just the mid *** designs. Besides the sweats, all the other clothing is just weak, coupled with the price? Lets not forget the time it took for this to come out and this is what we get?

i wonder if the pandemic had anything to do with the development time. probably should have been better communication to manage expectations, but i like what we got and i'm curious to see what's next.

i wonder if the pandemic had anything to do with the development time. probably should have been better communication to manage expectations, but i like what we got and i'm curious to see what's next.

You think the pandemic was the reason? No Jerry does things on his own timeline. As a brand that’s incredibly frustrating. It’s like being with your girl and she keeps saying not tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT​
I can’t put the blame on Adidas. I thinks it’s more consumer ignorance. Mainline honestly needed more notoriety before releasing Essentials. That could’ve been done with more collabs from Nike or partnering with Adidas earlier. It shows the loud majority of folks complaining about price aren’t aware of Mainline, have no clue about the Nike FOGs, and/or can only afford Essentials.

It’s like folks who are used to a $40 A/X shirt, complaining about the price of $150 Emporio Armani shirt, even though the main Giorgio Armani collection sells shirts for $600.

Yeezys cost as much and more than these (both Nike and Adidas), but people weren’t used to an “affordable” Yeezy product until well after the fact (runners and slides).

ADVERTISEMENT​
I can’t put the blame on Adidas. I thinks it’s more consumer ignorance. Mainline honestly needed more notoriety before releasing Essentials. That could’ve been done with more collabs from Nike or partnering with Adidas earlier. It shows the loud majority of folks complaining about price aren’t aware of Mainline, have no clue about the Nike FOGs, and/or can only afford Essentials.

It’s like folks who are used to a $40 A/X shirt, complaining about the price of $150 Emporio Armani shirt, even though the main Giorgio Armani collection sells shirts for $600.

Yeezys cost as much and more than these (both Nike and Adidas), but people weren’t used to an “affordable” Yeezy product until well after the fact (runners and slides).

FoG was big already, how you think it he got to do a Nike collab and Essentials? People knew about the pricepoints,l of FoG and such, the complaints were that this shoudnt be that high, relatively speaking of course cause FoG is still a higher pricepoint.

FoG was big already, how you think it he got to do a Nike collab and Essentials? People knew about the pricepoints,l of FoG and such, the complaints were that this shoudnt be that high, relatively speaking of course cause FoG is still a higher pricepoint.
He got the collab the same way Don C got his Nike collab, by being a tastemaker and associated with Kanye.

Essentials has more notoriety than mainline and what I’ve inferred from folks upset with the price points for the entire collection is that they subconsciously assumed “Essentials x Adidas” not “FOG x Adidas”, i.e an Essentials hoodie with an Adidas logo and a $30 markup. They weren’t expecting products costing $100-$200 over Essentials.

I'd say the average essentials consumer doesn't look at or even consider what fear of god mainline is. The typical essentials consumer is like an offshoot of the head to toe tech fleece guy.

I don’t think you can rock essentials without knowing about the mainline brand. I think the whole point is to be affiliated with the brand without spending hundreds of dollars.but you know, we’re also in a different economic environment than we were in 2019 when FOG 1s dropped. People are complaining about the price of everything.

If I had to take a guess I’d say less than 25% of the folks here own any mainline pieces or care for it in general

Last edited:
He got the collab the same way Don C got his Nike collab, by being a tastemaker and associated with Kanye.

You honestly believe he got the collab just cause hes affiliated with Ye, has NOTHING to do with his x amount of seasons of FoG? Cmon now.

Last edited:
Saw this is a. Thrift store just now

999BF611-F982-4B58-94EC-8332C254FF74.jpeg

You honestly believe he got the collab just cause hes affiliated with Ye, has NOTHING to do with his x amount of seasons of FoG? Cmon now.
He helped design some Yeezy models with Ye and fits their athleticism design language; yes, that’s why he got the collab.

He definitely ain’t get it because of his mainline stuff. They could’ve done a collab in like their recent drops with Prada, Gucci and Balenciaga if that were the case.

He helped design some Yeezy models with Ye and fits their athleticism design language; yes, that’s why he got the collab.

He definitely ain’t get it because of his mainline stuff. They could’ve done a collab in like their recent drops with Prada, Gucci and Balenciaga if that were the case.

FoG was more associated with streetwear then than Prada, Gucci and Balenciaga. Merch gear was incredibly popular then and Jerry was doing it for Bieber. Ye doing the whole Yeezy thing, doing his own merch. Virgil was doing his thing with OW then got with Nike to do The Ten, and Jerry was in that realm. Virgil aint getting that Ten without OW, to say that FoG wasnt the reason he got a Nike collab is legit crazy. :lol: If he got the collab without FoG people would be like who tf is Jerry? Oh he helped design the 750s? There would be no basis for that collab, its literaly called the Air Fog 1. :lol:

FoG was more associated with streetwear then than Prada, Gucci and Balenciaga. Merch gear was incredibly popular then and Jerry was doing it for Bieber. Ye doing the whole Yeezy thing, doing his own merch. Virgil was doing his thing with OW then got with Nike to do The Ten, and Jerry was in that realm. Virgil aint getting that Ten without OW, to say that FoG wasnt the reason he got a Nike collab is legit crazy. :lol: If he got the collab without FoG people would be like who tf is Jerry? Oh he helped design the 750s? There would be no basis for that collab, its literaly called the Air Fog 1. :lol:
This…Fear of God was widely popular before there Nike collab. The zipper pants, zipper hoodies, long tees, and flannels were worn by celebs all over. It was the “IT” brand at the time.

Kanye and Bieber definitely helped him get his foot in the door but the Nike deal was pretty clearly based on his success with the Fear of God, F.OG., ESSENTIALS brands.

And during that time Nike was working with a lot of top streetwear designers and brands…Virgil, Jerry, John Elliott, Sacai, Supreme, etc.

Thank you for pointing out the third person who got a Nike check off of Kanye. Early FOG was looking like RAF and John Elliot hybrids. No one wasn't going up to an unknown designer copying already trendy styles and giving them a shoe collab.

Thank you for pointing out the third person who got a Nike check off of Kanye. Early FOG was looking like RAF and John Elliot hybrids. No one wasn't going up to an unknown designer copying already trendy styles and giving them a shoe collab.

Uhhh you know you helping my point out right? :lol:

Yeah for sure, if his only accolade was helping design the 750 then yeah unknown designer. His success with FoG is the reason why he got it. :lol:

Essentials has more notoriety than mainline and what I’ve inferred from folks upset with the price points for the entire collection is that they subconsciously assumed “Essentials x Adidas” not “FOG x Adidas”, i.e an Essentials hoodie with an Adidas logo and a $30 markup. They weren’t expecting products costing $100-$200 over Essentials.

this collection looks like a complete Remember the Why collection which JL had to make a PSA that he had nothing to do with it. lol

Last edited:
Uhhh you know you helping my point out right? :lol:

Yeah for sure, if his only accolade was helping design the 750 then yeah unknown designer. His success with FoG is the reason why he got it. :lol:
No, you proved mine.

A dude known for reintorducing Buck 50s snake print fitteds putting zippers on jeans ain't getting a Nike shoe unless they're plugged up. Kanye was that plug.

Jerry was already experimenting with his own footwear line before the Nike deal. He put out the Military Sneaker (his first shoe) at the same time his 4th Collection mainline dropped which was around 2016. Nike wouldn't just throw money at a random guy just cause he's 'cool' with Kanye. Some of y'all give Kanye way too much credit

No, you proved mine.

A dude known for reintorducing Buck 50s snake print fitteds putting zippers on jeans ain't getting a Nike shoe unless they're plugged up. Kanye was that plug.

Just ignore everything I said about what Jerry has done in that time frame. I guess me and everyone else here is wrong huh. :lol:

Reintroducing buck 50's. When them ****s go out of style? And when did they hit the masses?

I dunno...streetwear ain't my thing so maybe I just don't understand the game. But buck 50's have always had their place amongst a small crowd. It hasn't gone away nor has it blown up.

Credit your d boys...not this guy.

Reintroducing buck 50's. When them ****s go out of style? And when did they hit the masses?

I dunno...streetwear ain't my thing so maybe I just don't understand the game. But buck 50's have always had their place amongst a small crowd. It hasn't gone away nor has it blown up.

Credit your d boys...not this guy.
Don C took the regional buck 50 and popularized it more broadly

Back
Top Bottom