Advice from fellow ex-sneakerheads

ironhorse

Banned
Just turned 30, and something awakened inside me that this whole sneaker obsession thing of mine is now played out and I should be more concentrated on stepping up my adult clothes game up, as that needs work compared to my closet full of jays and air maxes.

I'd be interested to hear from fellow ex-sneakerheads about their experiences in quitting....

Had almost every shoe I wanted
It's not the same, they release a limited shoe and then release it everywhere a year later
They'll take a classic shoe and abuse it (foamposite, griffey and so on)

I recently just sold about 200 pairs of shoes, just got old and felt disrespected by what it's become.

the final straw was the whole concord hype, that made me realize that I was just another member of the flock as I tried to secure my pairs 

Never really quit, just my taste changed....I still love Jordans and what not, but now I just don't care enough to cop all the time.

I'm only 18 a youngin but yah I gotta use my money for more productive things now.

I got into sneakers like 2 years ago and got most of the shoes I've wanted. But now I'm starting to see that everyones wants to get into sneakers and all this hype crap and what not so I'm slowly getting tired of them.

Originally Posted by IronHorse

the final straw was the whole concord hype, that made me realize that I was just another member of the flock as I tried to secure my pairs 

This was sort of my sentiment as well.  The hype in general is killing it for me. 

And when you have a 9-5 and can't wear sneakers to work you honestly just don't have time to wear 90% of your kicks.  My rotation is basically nike frees to work out/run in.  Then black cement 3s and white cement 3s with every casual outfit.  Still love shoes but when its now become next to impossible to get a shoe i want....i basically just don't care anymore. 

I got out around 2006-2007 when my cousins family came up to visit for Thanksgiving and proceeded to steal 75% of my dunk collection. Probably lost well over $3,000 off of that and it all happened because my cousin wanted to go on some ski trip and his parents wouldn't give him any money. I was so salty over how it all went down that it strained my relationship with my parents and I cut ties completely with my cousin and her family.
I was so angry for a few months that I became miserable beyond words. I eventually realized they were just shoes and I tried to get on ebay to get some of the more important/sentimental pairs back and the prices were ridiculous because of hypebeasts. I knew I had no interest in what the shoe game had become and decided from that point on that I'd only get the pairs that mattered to me when I was in middle/high school. So far, a few pairs have come and gone, but the quality has been pretty crappy.
My tastes have shifted and I have no interest in wearing basketball shoes with jeans anymore. Just looks sloppy to me now. When its summer, I still rock my classic with shorts but its just not important like it used to be.

As time has gone by, I'm limiting my purchases and focusing on real life responsiblities. It was fun buying shoes weekly, but I need to save and get serious. I now have to plan every purchase I make.

And I've gotten rid of all the shoes I no longer wear. I'm down to only 40 shoes and I think its good.

Originally Posted by Jking0821

This was sort of my sentiment as well.  The hype in general is killing it for me. 

And when you have a 9-5 and can't wear sneakers to work you honestly just don't have time to wear 90% of your kicks.  My rotation is basically nike frees to work out/run in.  Then black cement 3s and white cement 3s with every casual outfit.  Still love shoes but when its now become next to impossible to get a shoe i want....i basically just don't care anymore. 
Hype is just being used as a excuse to hid the fact that you are a trend hopper. If you REALLY LOVED YOUR SHOES AND THE CULTURE, YOU would still keep collecting even with all the hype. Just stop with the excuses. To you the trend is not as cool as it once was to you and as a result your on to the next trend.

OP just keep the ones with the most sentimental value to you and sell the rest.
As of right now, for me the only sneakers I have are one pair of SBs, infrared am 90 and nike free run 2, a pair of stash 95 and random vans to wear everyday.

Originally Posted by Dagrandesoda

Hype is just being used as a excuse to hid the fact that you are a trend hopper. If you REALLY LOVED YOUR SHOES AND THE CULTURE, YOU would still keep collecting even with all the hype. Just stop with the excuses. To you the trend is not as cool as it once was to you and as a result your on to the next trend.
Dear random guy that does not know me at all.

Don't care what you think.

That is all

Originally Posted by Dagrandesoda

The shoes and the culture have changed dramatically in the past 10 years.  Sneakers are essentially artwork that is mass produced.  The difference now is that the artwork is produced and reproduced, and produced another time just to milk it.  Every time they reproduce another piece of art the quality goes down and the price goes up.  I thought the quality started getting bad on some of the Jordans 10 years ago and then I went into a Footlocker last year and felt them and was incredibly disappointed.

True that... my whole passion started with 95's before switching to jays, I think im going to keep all my 95s with the grey gradient fade and sell everything else that are either too loud (kashimas, sabretooth, or that look too immature miami's etc... and definitely get rid of all the jays minus the flint xiii's

Next you'll realise that the whole 'adult clothes' game doesn't actually mean anything either.

Do what you want with your money but whatever 'thing' is your thing at the moment doesn't really matter.

I think if Dagrandesoda didn't say "stop with the excuses", a lot of what he said can hold true for some people. I don't know if the word trend hopper is the right word but you do jump to different fashions as you change mentally. True that if you love this shoe culture that you will stick with it but I don't think it is a bad thing to move on to the next thing.

I feel you OP. I lost the shoe thing a long time ago but still have 25 shoes that I can't seem to part with (yet). I turned 30 last year and I work at a corporate company that doesn't allow sneakers for nothing. The result is I never wear sneakers at all and it makes me want to never buy a pair another pair. What's the use of shoes if you don't wear them? But it happens and I don't think it is a big deal. My money goes to other things that I value and the best thing about not getting shoes is not having the anxiety to always get the new thing. That was killer when sneaker collecting was big and it would always mess up my wallet.

If any of you dudes who are getting out the game and have Red Supreme Blazers get at me
nerd.gif

I'm still in it and not thinking of quiting. But every now and then when theres a stupid release such as Concords I ask myself, how much more time do I have left in the game? I can't and don't want to keep up with these hypebeasts who camp out 2 days for a GR.

I wonder how long it will take though until the hype blows off and the game is just made up of real sneaker collectors again.

Originally Posted by mrkittles20

I got out around 2006-2007 when my cousins family came up to visit for Thanksgiving and proceeded to steal 75% of my dunk collection. Probably lost well over $3,000 off of that and it all happened because my cousin wanted to go on some ski trip and his parents wouldn't give him any money. I was so salty over how it all went down that it strained my relationship with my parents and I cut ties completely with my cousin and her family.
I was so angry for a few months that I became miserable beyond words. I eventually realized they were just shoes and I tried to get on ebay to get some of the more important/sentimental pairs back and the prices were ridiculous because of hypebeasts. I knew I had no interest in what the shoe game had become and decided from that point on that I'd only get the pairs that mattered to me when I was in middle/high school. So far, a few pairs have come and gone, but the quality has been pretty crappy.
My tastes have shifted and I have no interest in wearing basketball shoes with jeans anymore. Just looks sloppy to me now. When its summer, I still rock my classic with shorts but its just not important like it used to be.
*%+!!
How do they get out of your home without all those shoes?
That's @##*+** grimy!!

Hang on to the few that you would actually wear, or cared enough to wear in the past month, and then move on. One doesn't have to quit cold turkey. Do it in steps, and at one point in the next 6 months you may actually finally have a pair of shoes that looks like it's been worn more than once... A proud accomplishment in my book.

Originally Posted by kdawg

Next you'll realise that the whole 'adult clothes' game doesn't actually mean anything either.

Do what you want with your money but whatever 'thing' is your thing at the moment doesn't really matter.

I have to disagree with you there. The adult clothes reference was to point out that I have realized that while I care about being fresh I was putting way too much emphasis on keeping my feet fresh for casual wear, which I only wear about 10% of the time, while neglecting to some extent freshness in my adult clothes game. I was really just sharing a reflection of mine that I might have finally grown out of sneakers, for which I was looking for comments from others that have shared a similar experience.

For me, I'll buy something and if I get bored with it I'll sell it to get something else. I have it set to where I just use my paypal and never have to dig into my actual money so it works. Add in the fact the Jordans completely suck now, it isn't as bad of a habit as it used to be.

You don't have to stop collecting/buying completely, just pick and choose what you REALLY want

Im 28 and I have mostly lost interest in the last 4 years. I think I have bought maybe 3 pairs of Jordan's the last 4 years. I wanted to get the concords and then I was pretty much done, but i missed on those. That really made me realize that I just dont care anymore. like everyone else, I can hardly wear my shoes since I cant at work, and I really just dont care to wear them most other times. Ive been thinking of selling a lot of my shoes, but can't bring myself to do it. 

Back
Top Bottom