African Americans and Executive Positions in Sports

I guarantee you dudes are more influenced by Scarface type flicks and hip hip videos than slavery, We always got millions of creative ways to absolve ourselves of any blame in any situation ever, trusty slavery/white man card as always.

You are definitely right about the difference between rich and wealthy but the question that should be raised is why more African-American athletes don't come together (put their money together) and look to form ownership groups? y.
Would they be allowed is the question. :nerd:

Would they be allowed is the question.
nerd.gif
Why wouldn't they? I like this thread. keep going guys
Because players themselves don't know much about running teams.

Lets...be honest.

Why wouldn't they? Just to keep black people out of positions of power.

The POTUS is black. Yeah, I'm sure he has to cater to the requests of his financial supporters, who are most likely white, but you can't just ignore the fact that he's still the POTUS.

I believe that it's simply the fact that majority of athletes are cut from a different cloth. The way they're raised, what they value, it's very different from white people in this nation. When you couple that with millions in salary, it's not surprise why the likes of Latrell Sprewell go broke after a few years. There is simply no guidance for these individuals, and sometimes, even if there was, they would not be interested in hearing reason.

Last edited:
This thread would make sense if it were about blacks reaching executive positions within the front office but yall are really scratching your heads wondering why more athletes don't OWN professional sports franchises? :lol:

I suggest those of you with questions look up the net worth of these owners.

and a franchise is not an investment vehicle, it's more akin to a billionaire's play-thing, a yacht or a private island or something. LOL at an NFL franchise is a great investment, maybe if you got in the 70's/80's.

But if you made 80 million in a season....
*Come to think of it, Lebron has invested in Liverpool in the EPL. Kevin Garnett inquired about having an ownership stake in an EPL team but was vetoed by David Stern.

Can I get a citation source for this?
Goole searched and nothing came up.

Garnett's attempt to purchase a minority stake in AS Roma was blocked by Stern because Roma's primary investor James Pallotta alway owns a good chunk of the Celtics. You can imagine why an NBA player cutting business deals on the side with an owner could make for a sticky situation.

I have a few problems with this thread.

A. I don't care what they do with their money. It doesn't push ME to get where I'm trying to go because all we're talking about is what we think they should do with their money. I mean first of all, they don't make enough to own a teams. Second of all, none of them know what they're doing. Its just true. Very few of them have the immediate know how, even after many years to transition into significant positions of management beyond coaching...which isn't enough to make significant changes in how things are run...and at the end of the day...what do they want? Just to own a team? to change the sport? Whats the goal here?

B. Just because you have money doesn't mean you're owed a stake of what you're employed by. Remember, these players used to be paid next to nothing and only because of advertising are they now given ridiculous salaries. The players themselves aren't worth much themselves. Essentially, they're just employees of a seasonal company. You saw how quickly they'll pull you in the coach's office and fire you in front of your reality show cameras with Ocho Cinco. These dudes aren't where they think they are. You have to be truly elite to even think to change things and even then you need the capital to do so. Personality doesn't change this. 

C. I'm not trying to ask athletes to get it together. If they don't realize what they've got then there is NOTHING I could do at that point. These guys have the chance of a lifetime, more than a non-athlete with a "major" in sports management could ever hope to use to get ahead...and how many of them have the ability to HUMBLE themselves to learn how to get ahead? Plus, I don't need another chain restaurant or clothing line as a symbol of what "could" be. Examples of Jordan or Magic or Lebron or Kobe are few and far in between. Understanding the barriers that "new" money faces doesn't remove them. It only informs us. Now what? Who cares about pro money? Are they investing in anything that helps you? I agree that having black faces in the head office would possibly improve notions of these sports, but ya'll forget that black people are statistically a minority in this country. Have any of you been to a football game lately? No matter what ya'll think you're not buying tickets like that. Ya'll might be buying merch but once the screen pans the crowd, ya'll aren't filling up seats. That stuff matters. 

D. We need to be talking about OUR OWN INDIVIDUAL financial establishment...Why does it matter to us? Ya'll dont own the means of production, only the end nodes. Focus on the roots of where it comes from. Sports executives aren't much in the real world all things considered. Its just entertainment. There are entire other industries that are FAR more significant and have a greater impact however that need some diversity on the board. THAT is something i'm down to talk about. Screw the team. Whats up with the contractors who pour the concrete? Who supplies the infrastructure for ticket delivery? Who owns the building? Who financed the building? 

Last edited:
Pretty much the same reason Africa is the richest continent in terms of natural resources and yet the poorest economically. The white man has exploited the hell out of black people.

A. I don't care what they do with their money. It doesn't push ME to get where I'm trying to go because all we're talking about is what we think they should do with their money. I mean first of all, they don't make enough to own a teams. Second of all, none of them know what they're doing. Its just true. Very few of them have the immediate know how, even after many years to transition into significant positions of management beyond coaching...which isn't enough to make significant changes in how things are run...and at the end of the day...what do they want? Just to own a team? to change the sport? Whats the goal here?

B. Just because you have money doesn't mean you're owed a stake of what you're employed by. Remember, these players used to be paid next to nothing and only because of advertising are they now given ridiculous salaries. The players themselves aren't worth much themselves. Essentially, they're just employees of a seasonal company. You saw how quickly they'll pull you in the coach's office and fire you in front of your reality show cameras with Ocho Cinco. These dudes aren't where they think they are. You have to be truly elite to even think to change things and even then you need the capital to do so. Personality doesn't change this. 

C. I'm not trying to ask athletes to get it together. If they don't realize what they've got then there is NOTHING I could do at that point. These guys have the chance of a lifetime, more than a non-athlete with a "major" in sports management could ever hope to use to get ahead...and how many of them have the ability to HUMBLE themselves to learn how to get ahead? Plus, I don't need another chain restaurant or clothing line as a symbol of what "could" be. Examples of Jordan or Magic or Lebron or Kobe are few and far in between. Understanding the barriers that "new" money faces doesn't remove them. It only informs us. Now what? Who cares about pro money? Are they investing in anything that helps you? I agree that having black faces in the head office would possibly improve notions of these sports, but ya'll forget that black people are statistically a minority in this country. Have any of you been to a football game lately? No matter what ya'll think you're not buying tickets like that. Ya'll might be buying merch but once the screen pans the crowd, ya'll aren't filling up seats. That stuff matters. 

D. We need to be talking about OUR OWN INDIVIDUAL financial establishment...Why does it matter to us? Ya'll dont own the means of production, only the end nodes. Focus on the roots of where it comes from. Sports executives aren't much in the real world all things considered. Its just entertainment. There are entire other industries that are FAR more significant and have a greater impact however that need some diversity on the board. THAT is something i'm down to talk about. Screw the team. Whats up with the contractors who pour the concrete? Who supplies the infrastructure for ticket delivery? Who owns the building? Who financed the building? 

I don't understand this post. People are discussing a certain topic. If you are interested in discussing something else, isn't that what the "Start a New Thread" button is for?

I don't understand this post. People are discussing a certain topic. If you are interested in discussing something else, isn't that what the "Start a New Thread" button is for?
I just don't see whats to be gained by asking why rich black people aren't smart enough to do things with their money.

Its like, these guys are already on 3rd base and we're wondering why they're not owning teams.

Plus, if you ask me in the past 10 years we've seen a radical shift towards minority participation in these franchises from the bottom up so its only a matter of time.

To say that its not happening isn't true, but I'd merely attribute it to the demographics of the sample field of qualified individuals in the first place.  

Anyone ever wonder why few athletes, no matter how many millions they make, never take positions of ownership of spectator sport franchises like the NFL or NBA?

It's just been like a splinter in my mind how Jay-Z is pretty much the spokesperson for the Brooklyn Nets, but he's only a minority shareholder.

There are exceptions like Magic Johnson, but that's a small percentage compared to the amount of non-blacks who own African-American dominated sports teams.

A lot of it comes down to business savvy and GOOD advice. Just look at the # of guys who can't manage their finances or end up going broke due to bad decisions.

You also have to build up the capital to get involved in a venture like this. It's not like a guy like DeShawn Stevenson can wake up one day and think "you know what, I'm going to see what I can do about getting a stake in the ownership of the Cubs."

A good example is Jamal Mashburn. He WISELY invested his money in a number of restaurant franchises around the US. This was during his playing days and after. He eventually built up enough capital that he was mentioned as being part of an ownership group interested in buying the Pistons.

Again, it comes down to business savvy and good advice.
Exactly, DoubleJ's nailed it. Also, I think alot of people have to realize that black people are just NOW starting to get real money and have the economic power to make business decisions such as this. WE are still playing catch up and it's not easy. WE didn't get a chance to start running the race the same time as our white counterparts.

Anyone ever wonder why few athletes, no matter how many millions they make, never take positions of ownership of spectator sport franchises like the NFL or NBA?

It's just been like a splinter in my mind how Jay-Z is pretty much the spokesperson for the Brooklyn Nets, but he's only a minority shareholder.

There are exceptions like Magic Johnson, but that's a small percentage compared to the amount of non-blacks who own African-American dominated sports teams.

A lot of it comes down to business savvy and GOOD advice. Just look at the # of guys who can't manage their finances or end up going broke due to bad decisions.

You also have to build up the capital to get involved in a venture like this. It's not like a guy like DeShawn Stevenson can wake up one day and think "you know what, I'm going to see what I can do about getting a stake in the ownership of the Cubs."

A good example is Jamal Mashburn. He WISELY invested his money in a number of restaurant franchises around the US. This was during his playing days and after. He eventually built up enough capital that he was mentioned as being part of an ownership group interested in buying the Pistons.

Again, it comes down to business savvy and good advice.
Exactly, DoubleJ's nailed it. Also, I think alot of people have to realize that black people are just NOW starting to get real money and have the economic power to make business decisions such as this. WE are still playing catch up and it's not easy. WE didn't get a chance to start running the race the same time as our white counterparts.
Nah man. I don't think this last part matters and I won't accept this excuse.

No one in the pro's is playing catch up to anything. It always took money to own teams. Thats nothing new. 

Honestly, I don't see why you all even think you're on the same level of these athletes. None of us are. Them owning franchises won't do much anyways. Its a symbolic gesture if nothing else, but I don't see how blacks running teams changes things...or even what they want to change. 

The ONLY thing I can imagine is them trying to build a stadium in a rich neighborhood...but that will never happen. 

Are they going to employ more black people at these places? They already run all the service venues and staff most of the event stands and do security in most places. I don't see what it is that people want from minority ownership. 

Its not about white vs. black in this instance. Its merely about real money vs less money. If you've got it, you can buy in. If not, then...you can't. Its fairly simple. Its always been that way. 

Racism isn't going to die out, all we can do is educate people that it exists and hope they'll make more impartial decisions to include others. Knowing that, it'll be harder for "outsiders" to break in, but what does that mean at the end of the day?

This is just sports. There are infinitely more important places that need more minorities in them.

I just get annoyed talking about sports because its like thats all everyone seems to think is THE most important thing. Its just football/basketball/baseball. Its not that serious. Maybe because you don't have to know THAT much to feel like you have a say in whats going on? The barrier to knowledge isn't that high? 

My point is that, I don't see whats to be gained from babying grown men with more money than everyone they have ever met to do something that they can't think to do for themselves. If they don't get it, then I don't see what why we have an obligation to do it for them. 

Last edited:
It costs like 1 billion dollars to buy an NFL franchise. Theres not many people of ANY race that can buy a franchise.

This is America dude. If you have a billion dollars you can buy a franchise. If you don't, then you can't. No race card needed.

considering most athletes go broke spending on frivolous **** you think most of them have the business acumen to run a sports franchise?

Honestly, I don't see why you all even think you're on the same level of these athletes. None of us are. Them owning franchises won't do much anyways. Its a symbolic gesture if nothing else, but I don't see how blacks running teams changes things...or even what they want to change. 

The ONLY thing I can imagine is them trying to build a stadium in a rich neighborhood...but that will never happen. 

Are they going to employ more black people at these places? They already run all the service venues and staff most of the event stands and do security in most places. I don't see what it is that people want from minority ownership. 

Its not about white vs. black in this instance. Its merely about real money vs less money. If you've got it, you can buy in. If not, then...you can't. Its fairly simple. Its always been that way. 

Racism isn't going to die out, all we can do is educate people that it exists and hope they'll make more impartial decisions to include others. Knowing that, it'll be harder for "outsiders" to break in, but what does that mean at the end of the day?

This is just sports. There are infinitely more important places that need more minorities in them.

I just get annoyed talking about sports because its like thats all everyone seems to think is THE most important thing. Its just football/basketball/baseball. Its not that serious. Maybe because you don't have to know THAT much to feel like you have a say in whats going on? The barrier to knowledge isn't that high? 
Ta-huh? 
eek.gif

Keep reading this OUT-LOUD to yourself, especially during the Super Bowl ...it's book marked so I will remind you when the time comes.

I remember one day when I was young riding with my grandmother to dairy queen. We passed some men working construction on the side of the road. I notice my grandmother huffing a little...grip the steering wheel a little harder and grit her teeth for about a few seconds. When we got to a stoplight I asked her what the matter was. She told me that 30-40 years ago...you would never see a white man doing construction along side the road. It was almost shameful to see your husband, brother, or uncle working it..almost like seeing a relative you know as a janitor at your school. It was hard manual labor and black males dominated the gig. I askes her why I didnt see one black guy out there now and only white guys....she said because janitors arent making 45000 a year yet.

/rant

I remember one day when I was young riding with my grandmother to dairy queen. We passed some men working construction on the side of the road. I notice my grandmother huffing a little...grip the steering wheel a little harder and grit her teeth for about a few seconds. When we got to a stoplight I asked her what the matter was. She told me that 30-40 years ago...you would never see a white man doing construction along side the road. It was almost shameful to see your husband, brother, or uncle working it..almost like seeing a relative you know as a janitor at your school. It was hard manual labor and black males dominated the gig. I askes her why I didnt see one black guy out there now and only white guys....she said because janitors arent making 45000 a year yet.

/rant

What's the point of this story? Sorry, I'm having a blonde moment.

Not to derail this thread, but I just saw this commercial for the first time like 5mins ago and I immediately thought of this thread.

[COLOR=#red]Duracell Batteries: Trust Your Power - NFL's Patrick Willis[/COLOR]

It certainly hits the "inspirational" note, but you gotta love the thinly veiled stereotypes being pandered and communicated...:lol:

Edit: Or maybe I'm reaching and he legitimately had a life like that depicted in the ad.

Last edited:
Not to derail this thread, but I just saw this commercial for the first time like 5mins ago and I immediately thought of this thread.
Duracell Batteries: Trust Your Power - NFL's Patrick WillisIt certainly hits the "inspirational" note, but you gotta love the thinly veiled stereotypes being pandered and communicated...
laugh.gif

Edit: Or maybe I'm reaching and he legitimately had a life like that depicted in the ad.
Embed doesn't play, so here's the above video:

Your observation is spot on...spot on.

Back
Top Bottom