Air Jordan 1 HI OG “ROYAL TOE” - Spring 2020

Tbh I think most of the people in the market for $170-$200 sneakers are bored sitting at home with money...

Sneakers, as much as we love them, are an extremely non-essential good (aside for a pair of shoes to wear, which obviously don’t have to cost $170-$200).

The majority of people buying sneakers are 16 to 25. Not exactly the people working from home. They're some of the main ones getting furloughed and laid off.

Nike is pushing back releases for a reason. Not because people are running to buy sneakers.

Sneaker sales are down across the board.

That's why StockX is laying off.

The majority of people buying sneakers are 16 to 25. Not exactly the people working from home.

Source?

Then why are resale prices holding up? Haven't seen sharp declines on Unions or Travis 1s, for example. Also, perhaps more importantly, hyped releases like Court Purple 1s and DMP 6s (which were a massive GR) still sold out.

lmao where u get that at. u just making **** up now huh
The majority of people buying sneakers are 16 to 25. Not exactly the people working from home. They're some of the main ones getting furloughed and laid off.

Nike is pushing back releases for a reason. Not because people are running to buy sneakers.

That's why StockX is laying off.

Source?

Then why are resale prices holding up? Haven't seen sharp declines on Unions or Travis 1s, for example. Also, perhaps more importantly, hyped releases like Court Purple 1s and DMP 6s (which were a massive GR) still sold out.
lmao where u get that at. u just making **** up now huh

My bad, I was wrong sneaker sales are down well over 70%. In my head I was thinking around 50. Now throw in all these closed stores with the leases they're still paying for.

You dudes might want to actually step foot in the real world. The world is bigger than your little bubble.

My bad, I was wrong sneaker sales are down well over 70%. In my head I was thinking around 50. Now throw in all these closed stores with the leases they're still paying for.

You dudes might want to actually step foot in the real world. The world is bigger than your little bubble.

lol except none of these articles are addressing my questions.

Let me ask them again:

1.) Why are hyped releases like Court Purple 1s, DMP 6s, Fire Red 5s STILL flying at retail??

2.) Why haven’t resale prices on releases like Unions or Travis 1s taken a major hit?

None of us are concerned with the people not buying Roshes or UA Currys during this time, my comment was about sneakerheads and NOT average customer who is buying Monarch and Superstars, for example.

Reactions: 907

Let me ask them again:

1.) Why are hyped releases like Court Purple 1s, DMP 6s, Fire Red 5s STILL flying at retail??

2.) Why haven’t resale prices on releases like Unions or Travis 1s taken a major hit?

None of us are concerned with the people not buying Roshes or UA Currys during this time, my comment was about sneakerheads and NOT average customer who is buying Monarch and Superstars, for example.
1. They’re still selling out because guys with bots buy in bulk. You have to think how many shoes they actually made vs who wants em. And I’ve seen DMPs restock plenty of times. You’re asking why the shoes are selling out but maybe you should be asking how many are actually made. Even if these are GR numbers, how many sneaker heads are there in the US/world?

2.Because people aren’t going to sell if the price will rise drastically in the future. Maybe it has to do with people not being able to sell on platforms like sx because it was worn? With some states saying they aren’t going to evict at the time because of the coronavirus, I’m pretty sure people would hold until they are absolutely in rock bottom and going to become evicted.

That’s just my take on it. Sounds like you’re hoping for a major crash and I just don’t see that happening until funds are exhausted, unemployment checks discontinue, and evictions start up again.

1. They’re still selling out because guys with bots buy in bulk. You have to think how many shoes they actually made vs who wants em. And I’ve seen DMPs restock plenty of times. You’re asking why the shoes are selling out but maybe you should be asking how many are actually made. Even if these are GR numbers, how many sneaker heads are there in the US/world?

2.Because people aren’t going to sell if the price will rise drastically in the future. Maybe it has to do with people not being able to sell on platforms like sx because it was worn? With some states saying they aren’t going to evict at the time because of the coronavirus, I’m pretty sure people would hold until they are absolutely in rock bottom and going to become evicted.

That’s just my take on it. Sounds like you’re hoping for a major crash and I just don’t see that happening until funds are exhausted, unemployment checks discontinue, and evictions start up again.

1. So releases are selling out and resale is still there? That’s exactly my initial point about there still being a market for $170-200+ sneakers lol

2. I bought sneakers during the last financial crisis and I can assure you, there was still a resale market during that time. Maybe the top end of the market was driven down but, 2008-2009 hyped releases could still be resold for a decent profit (besides obvious extremely limited, hyped releases like the Nike Air Yeezy 1s, DBs, etc. etc.). Granted quantities produced for individual retro releases from Nike/JB might have been lower than now but the overall sneaker market was also A LOT smaller-even even Adidas (who is now a major player in Yeezy resale, obviously) was almost nonexistent in the resale market back then.

some of ya too new and don't understand Magic33 Magic33 is the resident NT pessimist. LOL jk
The dude has probably 37K replies on NT and I'd take the over/under ~1% is anything sounding positive or in a non-negative juncture.

All love tho - dude ain't wrong tbh....Folks who got CC and Trump Bucks will spend...my two cents.
If 26 mil claiming UEI, still got over 140mil with jobs.

Let me ask them again:

I forgot you just disagree and go back and forth wether you have a point or not.

So now breaking even reselling a sneaker is good and because a sneaker that has 20 25 sizes being sold in their size on the market not dropping in price means that things are good with sneakers. Maybe StockX should have listened to you and that 12% would have kept their jobs and they wouldn't have added a 3% processing fee.

some of ya too new and don't understand Magic33 Magic33 is the resident NT pessimist. LOL jk
The dude has probably 37K replies on NT and I'd take the over/under ~1% is anything sounding positive or in a non-negative juncture.

All love tho - dude ain't wrong tbh....Folks who got CC and Trump Bucks will spend...my two cents.
If 26 mil claiming UEI, still got over 140mil with jobs.

There's a like, you've accomplished something

making stuff up again huh where u get the age 16-25 and how u know they ain't working from home. u always on ur bs

going by ur profile pic u prob some social justice warrior that get tick off by anything and everything
I forgot you just disagree and go back and forth wether you have a point or not.

So now breaking even reselling a sneaker is good and because a sneaker that has 20 25 sizes being sold in their size on the market not dropping in price means that things are good with sneakers. Maybe StockX should have listened to you and that 12% would have kept their jobs and they wouldn't have added a 3% processing fee.

Sneaker sales are alive and kicking - ONLINE. Many websites are experiencing very heavy traffic and sales across the board and thus have beaten their quarterly goal in as little as a few weeks. People are forced to shop online due to stores closing and many people are doing it just out of sheer boredom. That's why people are still waiting for shipment for DMP 6s - many places are backed up and wasn't expecting this to happen.

My source: I work in e-commerce.

Reactions: 907
Sneaker sales are alive and kicking - ONLINE. Many websites are experiencing very heavy traffic and sales across the board and thus have beaten their quarterly goal in as little as a few weeks. People are forced to shop online due to stores closing and many people are doing it just out of sheer boredom. That's why people are still waiting for shipment for DMP 6s - many places are backed up and wasn't expecting this to happen.

My source: I work in e-commerce.
Mr. Dink and dunk.

1. So releases are selling out and resale is still there? That’s exactly my initial point about there still being a market for $170-200+ sneakers lol

2. I bought sneakers during the last financial crisis and I can assure you, there was still a resale market during that time. Maybe the top end of the market was driven down but, 2008-2009 hyped releases could still be resold for a decent profit (besides obvious extremely limited, hyped releases like the Nike Air Yeezy 1s, DBs, etc. etc.). Granted quantities produced for individual retro releases from Nike/JB might have been lower than now but the overall sneaker market was also A LOT smaller-even even Adidas (who is now a major player in Yeezy resale, obviously) was almost nonexistent in the resale market back then.
I mean there was no stockx back then so I would argue a lot of people could be firm on their prices without much competition. Now, all you have to do is hop on goat or stockx and see what the prices are. Lots of undercutting for new releases from young boys who can’t hold.

I’m on mobile and don’t wanna go back and re-read what it is you’re actually trying to argue. That there’s a sneaker market during a crisis? I thought you were arguing that prices aren’t going down much on hyped shoes like ya or unions. I don’t expect those coveted shoes to go down until people are out of all their money and getting evicted and absolutely forced to sell.

Speaking of 08 financial crisis, my friend picked up a ‘04 s2k with like 6k miles. Mugen parts, supercharged, volk rims and no issues at all. Bought it for 16k because original owner absolutely was forced to. I hate seeing people get taken advantage of during a crisis, but I definitely don’t recommend to anyone hold onto shoes if they find themselves in a huge financial hole and can’t afford the basics in life

Bro, again, I’m not taking about the overall market for sneakers obviously people are going to hold onto their Air Monarchs longer if their retail or restaurant job, for example, isn’t employing them anymore. I simply stated that the market for $170-$200 hyped sneakers (that we typically discuss here on NT) doesn’t seem to be affected much at all. If it were, DMP 6s and Court Purple 1s, for example, would have been sitting and there would essentially be no resale even for all the people buying up stock with bots, as you mentioned. Also, we would see resale prices for other hyped sneakers start to drop significantly, which, as I mentioned with Travis Scott 1s and Unions, hasn’t happened.

If you disagree with me on this then I don't know what else to tell you.

I mean there was no stockx back then so I would argue a lot of people could be firm on their prices without much competition. Now, all you have to do is hop on goat or stockx and see what the prices are. Lots of undercutting for new releases from young boys who can’t hold.

I’m on mobile and don’t wanna go back and re-read what it is you’re actually trying to argue. That there’s a sneaker market during a crisis? I thought you were arguing that prices aren’t going down much on hyped shoes like ya or unions. I don’t expect those coveted shoes to go down until people are out of all their money and getting evicted and absolutely forced to sell.

Speaking of 08 financial crisis, my friend picked up a ‘04 s2k with like 6k miles. Mugen parts, supercharged, volk rims and no issues at all. Bought it for 16k because original owner absolutely was forced to. I hate seeing people get taken advantage of during a crisis, but I definitely don’t recommend to anyone hold onto shoes if they find themselves in a huge financial hole and can’t afford the basics in life

Let’s be honest, myself and almost everyone with a stable/wfh job on NT would definitely take advantage of fire-sale, resale prices on sneakers we missed out on. That said, it is unlikely we would see this since I doubt there are few people who desperately need cash are also holding DS pairs of Unions and TS 1s. Likely, most people holding DS pairs of those releases are collectors at this point.

My point was that, there still is a market for $170-$200 sneakers like Court Purple 1s and DMP 6s. Speaking of 2008, that time showed us that people didn’t stop buying sneakers like this, instead they just became more selective with their purchases. 2009 is a great year to look at since Space Jam 11s were both the biggest release of the 2009 (in terms of stock) and were still VERY sought after (I say this as someone who took multiple Ls on release day). You’re right about StockX and GOAT making resale prices more standardized to what market value actually is, I can’t argue that. Keep in mind that, as much as Nike/JB will never admit it, they need there to be resale on their products since that is what drives demand for other, similar products (I.s. NFR 1s-Gym Red 1s, Unions-upcoming Grey/Red 1s, etc. etc.). That said, I think if the current financial crisis worsens, you’ll see more and more of this. Also, your friend buying that car put thousands into the sellers’ hands immediately. Unless someone is offloading a ton of shoes or a bunch of hyped shoes, they aren’t going to see anywhere near that kind of money from their shoe sales.

Back
Top Bottom