Air Jordan 38

IMG_9776.jpeg

Just landed. These are Fire in hand. They feel well built and I’m stunned at how soft the cushlon 3.0 is to the touch. I went TTS and .5 size down to be sure, and if the 12.5 works I’m going to keep the 13 for the collection, or return the 12.5 for another 13. I’m getting real Air Jordan vibes from these. I’m disappointed we won’t be getting more Bulls colorways with these though, a white/red, black/red or Playoff colorway would be flames IMO.

Isn’t there a white/black red gold pair coming?

My user name was this mine the 23. When I reached out to ask why I couldn't login they said it was already taken. Yeah, by me.

I've been following NT since it's inception (before my original account - which I would love to have back) and don't post much, just love the community and this and gixxer.com were the first two accounts I made since basically I was old enough to do it.

Born and raised in the North side of Chicago. Jordan fan beyond words. Had all his signature shoes at one point or another. But holy **** these are ugly as I've ever seen. I don't even think I can convince myself to buy a pair just for the collection. That said, I'm sure they'll drop a colorway I'll end up getting :lol:

Genuine question, especially since it sounds like you've been around for the entire run and lived through the glory days just like many of us: What about these makes you look at them and think they're as ugly as you've ever seen? I've seen similar comments on platforms like IG and Reddit (less so on NT), and I truly don't get it. In fact, I see the exact opposite. It's a relatively simple white, black and red shoe with some cool little details. Like you, I've had most every Jordan (that he played in) going back 30+ years so I have that for historical context just like you, in terms of how the various shoes were received at the time. In reality, your reaction is nothing new--I remember people telling me the 5s were meh, the 6s were hideous, the 7s were weird, the 8s were hideous (which I kinda agree with these days LOL), etc etc. But when I look at these 38s, they look darn clean to me and easily a shoe I can picture MJ wearing on the bulls. So what is it about them that looks ugly to you?

IMG_9776.jpeg

I’m disappointed we won’t be getting more Bulls colorways with these though, a white/red, black/red or Playoff colorway would be flames IMO.

How do we know at this point if there will or won't be more Bulls-style colorways? Just because none have been announced thus far doesn't automatically mean anything.

download (2).jpg
download (3).jpg

I am trying to figure out the same with these. How do people hate on this?

I always liked the 22s. Picked them up to look at multiple times at my FTL but never actually bought a pair. Regretted it once they were gone.
The 21s, I always thought they COULD'VE been fire, but personally I don't love the overall shape. Certainly not a hideous shoe, though.

Tried these on today nd im ode impressed. Cushion was 9/10 only because i didn’t feel much in the heel. Traction was squeaking. Good Courtfeel. I just copped the KD16 nd i have a feeling the 38’s are better. For $200 id rather wait for the lows to drop, but who knows i might grab the highs soon.

I always liked the 22s. Picked them up to look at multiple times at my FTL but never actually bought a pair. Regretted it once they were gone.
The 21s, I always thought they COULD'VE been fire, but personally I don't love the overall shape. Certainly not a hideous shoe, though.
The 38 feels and looks like an AIR JORDAN. You get what I mean by that.. Its the kind of shoe MJ could have worn back then. It has been a few years feeling like that toward the new model. Maybe its the colorway, idk.

download (2).jpg
download (3).jpg

I am trying to figure out the same with these. How do people hate on this?
21s were the bomb to me. I loved playing in those. Had my best games in those as a 28 year old so plush and comfortable People say they love playing in the 30s , I couldn't f***ing stand playing in those things. My feet may be wide or have gotten wider through the years. But a 10.5 is not what it used to be, I really don't know.

The 38 feels and looks like an AIR JORDAN. You get what I mean by that.. Its the kind of shoe MJ could have worn back then. It has been a few years feeling like that toward the new model. Maybe its the colorway, idk.

Oh I absolutely agree. It's something I've been waiting for, for these past I don't know how many years.
I bought the 33s because they were so out there and I wanted to play with that silly lacing system. But once I had them, they weren't ever quite right to me. Plus hated that I couldn't wear them much because I knew they'd turn yellow quickly.
I bought the launch colorway 34s and that shoe looked and felt a lot like a classic Air Jordan, but they had the same potential yellowing problem with that material. Skipped the 35s and 36s as they seemed mostly derivative to me, and obviously I wasn't touching those trash 37s LOL.
Once I saw these 38s, I knew that what I'd been hoping for had finally arrived. Sold my 33s and 34s in anticipation of these.
Now if only Nike would actually ship the damn things to me :lol:

I bought the launch colorway 34s and that shoe looked and felt a lot like a classic Air Jordan, but they had the same potential yellowing problem with that material.
Same. I do wish I would have gotten the SE version. Those were more into what I was looking for. I gave my 34 to a buddy at work. They did nothing for me. They were light as hell though. I like the 36, but I just didnt need them. I felt like they were a redesigned 34. The mesh upper stuff I am not a huge fan of.

Agreed. Since retiring from the Wizards, for me, the only Js that truly felt like an actual Air Jordan. And a model he would wear, was:

and now the 38

That’s literally it.

Genuine question, especially since it sounds like you've been around for the entire run and lived through the glory days just like many of us: What about these makes you look at them and think they're as ugly as you've ever seen? I've seen similar comments on platforms like IG and Reddit (less so on NT), and I truly don't get it. In fact, I see the exact opposite. It's a relatively simple white, black and red shoe with some cool little details. Like you, I've had most every Jordan (that he played in) going back 30+ years so I have that for historical context just like you, in terms of how the various shoes were received at the time. In reality, your reaction is nothing new--I remember people telling me the 5s were meh, the 6s were hideous, the 7s were weird, the 8s were hideous (which I kinda agree with these days LOL), etc etc. But when I look at these 38s, they look darn clean to me and easily a shoe I can picture MJ wearing on the bulls. So what is it about them that looks ugly to you?

How do we know at this point if there will or won't be more Bulls-style colorways? Just because none have been announced thus far doesn't automatically mean anything.
I don't have any social media minus forums and Reddit so that I can't touch on. But for real, I appreciate your question. I actually agree with you on the 5-8s (and more) too, but, they all have nostalgia to me . I guess the short answer is just simply the looks. They look terribly dated but that's personal. That's all. Like I can't stand the 12s but I bought me and my son them purples joints because they just did it for me. At 41, I did live through the 90s run and there is just something about these that look like it should be a "team" pair, not a signature pair.

Again, zero disrespect and you have me questioning my comment now lol

My favorite by a mile is the Flint 13s. With that said, two my favorites that I remember getting a ton of hate was the 2010s and the 19s. (pictures attached for the lazy. Trust in I'M the f'ing lazy)

I can't really explain why I feel this way about these but knee jerk is because of my age and I wear all mine now more or less casually. I LOVE the 15s too. Can't explain why but ultimately, for me, it comes down to just simply how they look and the connection I had/have to them at that certain time in my life.

Like I'm not sure why, but as much as I love the 11s, I don't think they'd be in my top 5. I feel ridiculous saying that, and maybe it's because I typically go again the grain in general, but subconsciously I KNOW the 11s are pure fire.

Link

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 264
  • 2010.jpg
    2010.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 347
I actually agree about some of the models of the Air Jordan.

I think the first one is tremendously overrated, it’s essentially just a Nike dunk. Design language on all of their product at the time looked the exact same. It just has a Chicago Bulls colors and a crude wings logo smacked on it. It’s actually rather rushed and lazy.

The Air Jordan 2 is beyond hideous. And it’s a clunker. That’s why Mike wore the low top version of it so much to reduce the weight. And then the low top version just looks like a hideous bowling shoe. I think it’s hilarious the number of similarities between Michael and Kobe. Michael absolutely hated the Air Jordan 2, it wasn’t popular even amongst his fans, he wanted to leave Nike over it. And was a performance brick. The same way Kobe thought the Adidas Kobe 2 was disgusting and a total performance brick and literally paid $8 million to leave Adidas over it. Adidas just didn’t have a Tinker Hatfield to save them.

Unpopular opinion maybe but I even think the 4 is meh. The 5 is meh. The 7 is meh. The 8 is hideous and a clunker. Even the 9 a little bit as well. I really like the 10 out of nostalgia but I don’t think it’s an iconic Jordan let alone sneaker.

But to me the 3, 6, 11, 12, and 13 are legendary. Those are the best Jordan’s. With a nod to the 14 as well as runner up.

Got mine too and I'll echo whoever it was that says these are SO light. I can't wait to ball in these.

Also, 100% wide foot friendly. The midfoot and toe box is just beautifully wide. And the heel part being low helps it not feel like a high. Can't wait for the upcoming colorways, assuming these perform as well as they feel. I get what the one reviewer was saying about the cushion though. It's definitely nice, but putting them on you don't get that "I'm finna jump out the gym, lets go hoop" feel. But they are so light. I was putting a bunch of my shoes away and carrying the boxes with the shoes in them and these are so much lighter than everything, including my 34s (though that box is obviously ridiculously bulky).

For the love of all that is holy, please somebody @ me if you see the Guos drop on ID4 :emoji_pray:

Very notable that in the comments on DGHoops video there's a person that talks about having sole separation issues, and DG says he pulled at his and has that same issue (but feels like it's his fault since he pulled at it) so he pinned the comment for awareness. Hope it doesn't happen to me. Guess I'll have to not even shoot around in these outdoors only cause I don't feel like doing a return and I'm betting they'll be fine on indoor courts.

I don't have any social media minus forums and Reddit so that I can't touch on. But for real, I appreciate your question. I actually agree with you on the 5-8s (and more) too, but, they all have nostalgia to me . I guess the short answer is just simply the looks. They look terribly dated but that's personal. That's all. Like I can't stand the 12s but I bought me and my son them purples joints because they just did it for me. At 41, I did live through the 90s run and there is just something about these that look like it should be a "team" pair, not a signature pair.

Again, zero disrespect and you have me questioning my comment now lol

My favorite by a mile is the Flint 13s. With that said, two my favorites that I remember getting a ton of hate was the 2010s and the 19s. (pictures attached for the lazy. Trust in I'M the f'ing lazy)

I can't really explain why I feel this way about these but knee jerk is because of my age and I wear all mine now more or less casually. I LOVE the 15s too. Can't explain why but ultimately, for me, it comes down to just simply how they look and the connection I had/have to them at that certain time in my life.

Like I'm not sure why, but as much as I love the 11s, I don't think they'd be in my top 5. I feel ridiculous saying that, and maybe it's because I typically go again the grain in general, but subconsciously I KNOW the 11s are pure fire.

Link

That’s all fair but also not really the definition of “ugly.” I for one am glad they look somewhat dated, because they look like Jordans and bball shoes used to look like, rather than all these modern plastic and 100-percent yarn shoes.
Of course, beauty is always subjective. The three shoes you posted are, er, let’s say not generally held in the, er, highest regard by the majority of Air Jordan fans :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom