Air Jordan 38

genuinely happy for you and Sneeker that you were both able to fully recover from your injury and still be able to perform and enjoy life and bball to its fullest, but that encourages me alot.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience, I really do appreciate you taking the time. I will take it for account for sure!

I'm currently confronted with choices and there are still alot of unknowns yet, but I've been in contact with my physio twice a day since the injury and the latest conclusions tend to go in the very same direction you did.

If everything else is done right, given my background, even though I'm 47 right now, if inflammation reduces to a reasonnable level fast enough, as it is there is still a chance for the ligament to heal and re-attach on its own if we can stabilise the joint and get the ligament edges close enough. Will need MRI and/or scintigraphy in the coming days to recheck for the bone damage and a tendon state before making a final decision as there are signs of possible injury there too.

Basketball is my life and 100% mobility and full function is critical to me in the end. As a coach I think it's important to mix it up with my players on court because it enables you to have a better feel for their game than by just looking from the sidelines, plus it creates stronger bonds and it motivates me day in and day out to challenge them in a fun positive way and showing them young pups we're not all dead wood or dinosaurs! lol Talking can do so much, so I like to lead by example so that's the thing that hurts me the most right now...

Anyhow, I was soooooooo anticipating playing in my 38 too since its part of the fun as well to me experiencing the latest J's or choosing what older Air Jordan I'm gonna wear to practice on a daily basis to try an inspire the kids any way that I can or create bonds and after a rough patch, it's the first pair of shoes I was able to finally afford in almost a year...unfortunately some of that will still have to wait. (Just chatting, NOTcomplaining, I know there are way worse things in life)
Meanwhile I can always come to NT and dream about the next colorway or retro or read you guys comments to help make the wait seem shorter. Much love NT ❤️
Appreciate you guys!

You’ll be good man! Lots of options out there. I am generally a no surgery guy. I tore my meniscus in college… declined surgery and healed up perfectly. Ankle you already heard about. I hurt my knee about a year and a half ago pretty bad. I finally got an MRI in May and it came back as a partially torn ACL and a few other complications. I’ve been playing on it since a week after it happened. It’s been a long recovery and it hasn’t been quick, but after a year and a half, it really is starting to feel close to 90+%. I never stopped playing, mind you. I think my approach adds time to the recovery. Modern medicine could probably get it fixed in half the time. I’m not anti-medicine or doctors at all… I just don’t like getting cut on unless it’s absolutely necessary. Seen some really healthy dudes get operated on and never were the same again. It’s a tough choice, brother. For context, I’m 45 now and just won a men’s league championship last night! Good luck man and keep us posted.

but it was always a goal of mine to still be able to dunk at age 50 despite my short height
Man… I thought I was the man for being 5’10” and still dunking until I was 37 years old. The drop off in vertical was fast after that though. Lol. Mid 40’s now and I haven’t even tried to touch the rim in 5 years. Most I’ll do is slap the backboard on a layup. It’s not the jumping it’s the landing. Every now and then when a fool tries to lay it up on me my hops will magically reappear for me to block the shot though. :emoji_grin:

Last edited:
I like the shoe but all these very quickly presenting, serious quality issues in this thread are making me think this shoe isn’t worth more than 125-130 to me if I buy at all. 31-35 all held up well for me whether it was casual or balling. Yeah the 33 pull tab was janky and abandoned but I’ve never had a Jordan separate on court that quickly. OG Cherry XIV foam teeth came off after a good amount of balling but what I’ve seen in this thread is B-grade BS on a signature Jordan that’s over $200 full price. That’s weak.
Very disappointing to hear about the quality issues. I forgot my gym bag with my 37’s last night and had to ball in my emergency shoes in my trunk… the 35 DNA’s. Forgot how good those shoes were since I haven’t played in them for awhile. This 38 fiasco is reminding me of the 31’s. Man those were so comfortable and good on the court but that fatal flaw of slipping unexpectedly killed it. I really loved the 31, but it was too dangerous to play in for me.

Man… I thought I was the man for being 5’10” and still dunking until I was 37 years old. The drop off in vertical was fast after that though. Lol. Mid 40’s now and I haven’t even tried to touch the rim in 5 years. Most I’ll do is slap the backboard on a layup. It’s not the jumping it’s the landing. Every now and then when a fool tries to lay it up on me my hops will magically reappear for me to block the shot though. :emoji_grin:
I used to do chasedown blocks. my timing was really good. but having to realize that I couldn't push my old body beyond it's limits is just hard reality. I learned that when I blew my calf when I was about to go and crash the board. call it a freak accident or not, my calf just gave in. was just standing and you know when your muscles contract before jumping. felt a snap (rubber band type of feeling) on the back of my leg and immediately felt some pain. nobody knew it was a torn muscle and dismissed it as cramping since I was still able to walk it off for a few minutes. after that, I couldn't walk anymore. ended at emergency early in the morning the next day.

Very disappointing to hear about the quality issues. I forgot my gym bag with my 37’s last night and had to ball in my emergency shoes in my trunk… the 35 DNA’s. Forgot how good those shoes were since I haven’t played in them for awhile. This 38 fiasco is reminding me of the 31’s. Man those were so comfortable and good on the court but that fatal flaw of slipping unexpectedly killed it. I really loved the 31, but it was too dangerous to play in for me.
You would think after 40+ years experience in the athletic shoe design industry. They'd have come up with a consistent formula for durable outsole and traction by now. Then experiment with the upper and cushioning

Been wearing these all week, and felt extremely comfortable until today. Feel like the eclipse plate is digging into my arch
IMG_20230907_084241.jpg

I needed my Jordan 38s to not look like the Vince Carter's Shox. I am very pleased.... stores got plenty...
20230907_132414.jpg
they are beautiful shoes and colorway. these and the fundamentals are fire. love white/black colorway as well. I just don't like them being obviously becoming dirty. would have gone FIBA but I always have bias towards the Bulls colorway.

Last edited:
Link to that Reddit page?

Tried finding it while on lunch to no avail, but there was some talk about Enzo (well known Asian reviewer) that also had some sole separation on his pair, which were the XDR version with solid rubber outsole.

Also there is an review for 38's where atleast two people who commented had their outsole separating. But these were translucent versions.

Here's the link to that review:

Tried finding it while on lunch to no avail, but there was some talk about Enzo (well known Asian reviewer) that also had some sole separation on his pair, which were the XDR version with solid rubber outsole.

Also there is an review for 38's where atleast two people who commented had their outsole separating. But these were translucent versions.

Here's the link to that review:
JB should start talking to their outsourced contractors on the quality of materials they are using on making these shoes. seems like they used sap as glue and brittle rubber on the outsole. if they really care about their brand, they should really think seriously. that or they take and have someone or other factories elsewhere to make their shoes.

Back
Top Bottom