Air Jordan 38

If these actually look like I envision, they’re the best looking new Jordan to me in years. But that includes materials. If we’re getting yet another potato sack shoe, then never mind :lol:
But it kinda looks to me like the toes and upper white parts are actually (synthetic) leather.
I’m actually looking forward to checking out this shoe. In hand will be a huge determining factor for me. If materials are good, most likely it will be a go.

I really like the sample of the 22. So much better of a call out to the f22 raptor. Too bad it went over budget and we got what was released because MAN! Had the sample released, that shoe would get so much more respec
Even the in-step part of the shoe was unique, very edgy design compared to the safe retail mock (still salty..)
I think the ‘over budget’ was a cop-out to simplify the shoe and push the ‘chose your flight’ pod gimmick. They didnt blink at a $200 priced XVII.

Nope, I’m with you.

I’ll never own a 21. I hate that model.
Not even the PE (SE) mock? The white/black had Taxi vibes:pimp: .. the shark fin at the toe big toe in-step was a cool call back to the XIV.
IMG_0387.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m probably the only person who likes 22s more than 21s. 21s look like some weird boot inspired by racing shoes. Hate the shape/proportions on that shoe.

Never liked 22's that much and I never found them that comfortable. I got them for deep discount, because I normally get at least one pair of each.

21's were a lot better in quality and the pods were cool.

Do you guys think the line will ever end?
Like stop at 45?

Stop at 45 and start descending back in reverse 45, 44, 33......23, 22, 21....7, 6, 5 back down to the aj1 to focus more random retros and new signature models.
?

Do you guys think the line will ever end?
Like stop at 45?

Stop at 45 and start descending back in reverse 45, 44, 33......23, 22, 21....7, 6, 5 back down to the aj1 to focus more random retros and new signature models.
?

:lol:
No. Why would it? At least not as long as the brand continues to sell loads of product, and players continue to wear the signature game shoe.
Discussions like this have come and gone a million times over the past 20 years on this forum. They really peaked around the 23, when some people seemed to think that was where it should end. JB itself sorta seemed to buy into that thinking for a few years when it stopped using the in-sequence numerical designation for each shoe and instead started adding the year, such as Air Jordan 2011. But then it realized that was a convoluted and confusing way of doing it, so it reverted back to the numerical system. There doesn't appear to be any reason to stop.

:lol:
No. Why would it? At least not as long as the brand continues to sell loads of product, and players continue to wear the signature game shoe.
Discussions like this have come and gone a million times over the past 20 years on this forum. They really peaked around the 23, when some people seemed to think that was where it should end. JB itself sorta seemed to buy into that thinking for a few years when it stopped using the in-sequence numerical designation for each shoe and instead started adding the year, such as Air Jordan 2011. But then it realized that was a convoluted and confusing way of doing it, so it reverted back to the numerical system. There doesn't appear to be any reason to stop.

The brand sells loads of product but it doesn't look like that for the MJ signature line. Jb itself, without a doubt.. But I doubt Nike/jb's profits are from this line.

& Absolutely. I remember those talks back in the day around aj23.
I dont want to see the brand ever stopping. But I also don't see there being an aj79.
Nothing last forever.

I believe after the Air Jordan 45, the brand should just keep going and releasing them with heritage name from the brand! With so many new upcoming stars wearing the signature line, the brand will always need a signature line which makes way to the stars signature lines after a couple years in the signature line! I say if they do change it after 45, it needs some heritage names like places that MJ made history, such as Arenas around the world, history making.moments like Riverwalk, Shattered Backboards, CEO, BlackCat, Black Out TarHeel UNCtoNBA, 3Peat, MVP and Legendary just to name a few! I feel the brand could use any of these and make the brands signature line just as good if not better! Hell it works for car companies like Ferrari who went from cars like the 288 GTO all the way to naming a car after the Founder!

In my opinion, they should have stopped after the 23. I think it would have also made the 15-22 more relevant, and focus on more retro versions of those. They could still make a Jordan Brand sig shoe with all the latest tech with a new athlete to carry the torch. The Jordan name would always be there, but on another players sig shoe. Nothing against this 38 model, but every year I seem to puff up thinking they are gonna be so great only to get slightly disappointed. They need to invest their best performance shoes into the likes of Tatum and Luka for example. The line needs to live through todays athletes. As long as the AIR JORDAN continues to return every year, the further these kids get separated from MJ the man creating potential less interest. As many have said in here, its the Jumpman they connect with now. Not the man himself.

I had a bit of time to think about it and honestly I feel that the retro inspired theme will work until we get to the 44 which would be inspired by the Air Jordan 14, and let's be honest I personally loved the fit of the 15, but the styling was odd,..... So maybe at the 45 Jordan Brand correct that odd styling with a complete clean sheet design to usher in the new design language for the signature line? I feel the shoe wouldn't need any design cues from that shoe and would be a create time to design a fresh shoe with new technology and cushioning as well as all the things we honestly loved about the original classic line and retro releases! Just saying something with no inspiration or hype to live up to would be great, as we stand the 38 looks great, I have some hope for the 39 and 40,.....41 would have to truly be a major inspiration since the 11 that is one of the most iconic Jordan shoes ever, 42,43, and 44 inspired by the 12, 13, and 14!!!! As for the 45, no inspired by idea, just a leap ahead in technology and style and so on and so from there! We all remember when MJ came back wearing 45 and I think the biggest achievements would be to make that shoe special on all fronts! Hell bring on the Adapt lacing on the signature line, like they did with the Jordan 11 a couple years ago??

Last edited:
The brand sells loads of product but it doesn't look like that for the MJ signature line. Jb itself, without a doubt.. But I doubt Nike/jb's profits are from this line.

& Absolutely. I remember those talks back in the day around aj23.
I dont want to see the brand ever stopping. But I also don't see there being an aj79.
Nothing last forever.

In my opinion, they should have stopped after the 23. I think it would have also made the 15-22 more relevant, and focus on more retro versions of those. They could still make a Jordan Brand sig shoe with all the latest tech with a new athlete to carry the torch. The Jordan name would always be there, but on another players sig shoe. Nothing against this 38 model, but every year I seem to puff up thinking they are gonna be so great only to get slightly disappointed. They need to invest their best performance shoes into the likes of Tatum and Luka for example. The line needs to live through todays athletes. As long as the AIR JORDAN continues to return every year, the further these kids get separated from MJ the man creating potential less interest. As many have said in here, its the Jumpman they connect with now. Not the man himself.

I don’t know much about the shoe business, but from what I’ve gathered over the years, I think a lot of people don’t understand the realities here. I’d bet you’d be somewhat shocked to know the numbers these annual sigs actually do compared to the industry average in terms of sell through. While it may not seem to us that the new annual sigs are notably successful, I bet they make the brand a lot of money. The day they don’t is the day they will stop. It’s that simple, barring a complete change of strategy in how JB positions and markets itself. But that won’t happen as long as it’s seeing annual growth or at least maintaining its multi-billion-dollar revenue.

Think of how many “trash” Jordan-branded shoes release. Then really think about this for a second: Do you think they’d keep making shoes like that if they were money losers? If those make sense, you can bet the annual sig is safe. There’s plenty of fat to trim, so to speak, in terms of Jordan product long before the game shoe hits the chopping block.

Last edited:
JB has no reason to stop because they target all income brackets, athletes and markets. Their bread and butter for social cache are the retros, since they can always craft a story around them, but the later signature line are pro/am and hits in different markets.

The Jordan Team sigs (Tatums, Zions, Lukas) are lower priced and hype for the kids/teens just like the KDs and Kyries were.

Everything else (Jordan Series, Jordan Delta, etc.) is just to provide an offering from the brand for different types of shoes folks want.

A lot of those Jordan's we considered wack, because they weren't the "real thing" You have people like Nightwing who find them desirable, trying to convince his audience they were dope, because those were the ones they could get and were introduced too.

It's a cycle.

So those True Flight's are an introduction to the brand.

I'd like to see them attempt "year" models again for the Jordan Sigs. It'll make the sig not feel so long in the tooth but still keep the legacy going. Kind of how Nike used to do with Air Maxes.

They can rotate in an alternative flagship as well. I don't remember what other non-sig flagship they had after the Super Fly series.

The years were a bad idea then and will be in the future. If you're doing 1 sig Air Jordan a year, just keep the numbering, its definitely what the majority wants and its definitely a lot less confusing. When I wear newer models people don't want to know what the year was, they want to know which number Jordan it is. The fascinating part of the brand is that they are on the 38, not that they are on the 2023 or 2024. I never refer to the XXIV, XXV, XXVI, or XXVII as anything but the numbered releases they were. Jordan Brand knows that was a mistake.

They also should keep doing them as long as they sell. There is no reason to stop arbitrarily - if the numbers say stop, then it is time. That doesn't look to be any time soon. Stopping at the 45 and then doing what? The other players shoes never have and never will have the same appeal, it's just the way it is. Countless sneakerheads have never bothered with anything beyond a numbered Jordan. It will never be Carmelo brand or Tatum brand or whatever, it's just the way it is.

If you don't like a numbered release and don't want to buy it don't, but a lot of us really enjoy the experience of pushing the envelope every single year, even if it's not always perfect. That innovation is key at both Nike and Jordan and you can't rely on retros for it. This isn't Adidas for a reason.

Back
Top Bottom