Air Jordan 38

Lol at Boyz II Men saving the Jordan 11 concords. Concords sold out here in Houston. Kids were actually getting killed for them in Houston and across the country. I remember watching that on the local news with my parents in the room. My mom that night said no more Jordan’s and she stayed true to that until the 14. She said only Pennys which I was ok with because I was a huge Penny fan lol.

Boys II Men did not save the Concord XI. Did they help with the influence? Yes. But MJ and what he did in them is what got them over. And I respect anyone that likes a certain model J. But nothing of todays shoes belong in any comparison/conversation to the Concords at all. Lots of Jordans were not well received when they were first seen in the 90s.

Boys II Men did not save the Concord XI. Did they help with the influence? Yes. But MJ and what he did in them is what got them over. And I respect anyone that likes a certain model J. But nothing of todays shoes belong in any comparison/conversation to the Concords at all. Lots of Jordans were not well received when they were first seen in the 90s.

Respectfully, were you around in the 90s? I see your NT join date is in 2016.

I was 14-23 in the 90s and an avid sneaker enthusiast. 3s through 8s were all generally loved. The gold standard shoes for anyone who considered themselves a hooper. The buzz on the 9 and 10 was different and lesser because MJ wasn’t playing, yet still liked. Then he came back and the 11-14s were all instant hits as well, at least in the places where I was living during those years.

The 15s were the 1st AJ I remember that got some sideways looks, including from me.

Last edited:

I was 14-23 in the 90s and an avid sneaker enthusiast. 3s through 8s were all generally loved. The gold standard shoes for anyone who considered themselves a hooper. The buzz on the 9 and 10 was different and lesser because MJ wasn’t playing, yet still like. Then he came back and the 11-14s were all instant hits as well.

The 15s were the 1st AJ I remember that got some sideways looks, including from me.
Yes, started becoming a Jordan shoe fan in 1990. I'm 42 and none of that has changed. I assure you I'm qualified in my opinion.

This is the best shot I've seen this far.
IMG_1959.jpeg

Thought y'all could use some new detail pics and I was given some pics of the in sole and how much of a impact setup

Attachments

• IMG-20230528-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20230528-WA0006.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG-20230528-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20230528-WA0005.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG-20230528-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20230528-WA0004.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG-20230528-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20230528-WA0003.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG-20230528-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20230528-WA0002.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG-20230528-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20230528-WA0001.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 399
Thought y'all could use some new detail pics and I was given some pics of the in sole and how much of a impact setup
If you wear orthotics, the insole means nothing. It's all about the cushioning setup. Now that we have the video on the other page, maybe we can specs, that people that already have them in hand can share.

I was 14-23 in the 90s and an avid sneaker enthusiast. 3s through 8s were all generally loved. The gold standard shoes for anyone who considered themselves a hooper. The buzz on the 9 and 10 was different and lesser because MJ wasn’t playing, yet still like. Then he came back and the 11-14s were all instant hits as well.

Yes I was working a second job at foot locker in san diego. We sent them back to Nike as they sat. I've been collecting jordans since 1984. The black red 11s did sell out on the first weekend.

1685346823548.jpeg

From this rear view, the pieces on the midsole look like they’re some kind of foam? For protection and rigidity? Thought it was zoom and hoping its something more than foam.

I don’t post much and when I do it typically is prefaced with a reminder to be financially thoughtful and not buy 2-3 pair of shoes at resale, leveraged, at the expense of your future financial self (open a brokerage account instead and buy a share of vti, schd, voo rather than the idiotic “double up” and thank me later).

But I logged in just to address your post.

I was in high school in the 90s in the dc area. As I recall Boyz 2 Men didn’t save Concords. Boyz 2 Men didn’t have that type of influence amongst the male crowd who wore Js. Also the fluidness, effectiveness, and then the reach and scope of communication was phenomenally different back then. The Boyz 2 Men thing was more a phenomenon after the fact that history attributes a little too much significance to.

I’d go as far as to say that Busta wearing Concords in “Woo hah” had more influence because that video circulated hard on mtv and bet.

For a high school student to see Boyz 2 Men wearing the Concords it would have had to have been during the awards show red carpet, MTV News, or in a hip hop magazine.

With that in mind, I worked at a book store (Walden) in 1995-1996 and people would buy a magazine (Source or Vibe as I recall) with a number for the Concords on the back. That was before anyone except maybe Mike was wearing them. We would be at my job calling the number prior to the release because it was an evolution of information on the shoe (or we thought it was at least).

During the blizzard of 96 they closed City Place Mall. A group of 8-9 of us were there every morning to see if they were going to open so we could buy the Columbias. Later than the Concords for sure. But just reinforcing that the hype had built. And for me, that was the origins of the camp out.

Also, not long after the 11s dropped, other companies (Grant Hill 2 and Af1s) rode the wave of the patent leather motif. This was within a year or so of the 11s release. That also buttresses my claim that the 11s didn’t need any runway or popularity incentive. They sold themselves and other companies noticed it early enough to conceptualize, model, manufacture, and bring to market successive shoes based on what they [presumably] saw as a hit. I wouldn’t think you’d have that kind of immediate copycat-ism on a poorly received shoe.

Reasonable minds can different on the same subject for sure. And thinking about it more, geographic dependency likely plays a big role. Seeing Raekwon and Ghost on Rap City’s “The Basement” wearing Concords might not have hit in the dirty like it did in the dmv. Ironically, it may have taken more time to heat up down south.

So maybe in your area code the circumstances were different. But in 202/301/703, before you had to dial any of those prefixes to make a phone call, the 11s didn’t need any celebrity support.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom