Air Jordan Retro 9 “Powder Blue” OG March 23, 2024

Say what now? The shade of Powder Blue on these looks damn near identical to the OG's.
Look again the OG was darker hints dark powder blue…..

Attachments

• IMG_8886.jpeg
    IMG_8886.jpeg
    304.6 KB · Views: 138
Well I feel once the Jordans became retro's they started declining the comfort because they became more style sneakers instead of on court basketball sneakers where comfort was a more of an important factor. I can say the same for the older air max models such as the 95's, they used to be so much more comfortable when they had larger air bubbles and were actually made for running.

Because the old midsoles were phylon which has more elasticity and shock absorption than current midsoles which are eva. But the phylon also crumbles like we see in a lot of pics from the Jordans made in 99 and older. So take your pic becasue each has its own pros and cons. I’d like to see the protro treatment on Jordan retros like the Kobes.

It's not JUST the phylon though. They use drastically different insoles too.

Because the old midsoles were phylon which has more elasticity and shock absorption than current midsoles which are eva. But the phylon also crumbles like we see in a lot of pics from the Jordans made in 99 and older. So take your pic becasue each has its own pros and cons. I’d like to see the protro treatment on Jordan retros like the Kobes.
Quick correction, the midsoles are polyurethane not phylon. They changed the type of polyurethane from an open-cell type to a closed-cell type around 2006. Since then, the midsoles last longer before they crumble and the don’t yellow like they used to, but they are also MUCH firmer and heavier. There was also a time when we had a paint cracking issue.

Just for reference, the 2020 recraft AMIII/90 use a polyurethane that feels like what Jordans used to use if anyone is curious about how those Jordan’s felt cushioning wise.

It’s 2024. There’s a plethora of insoles on the market and one for just about any comfort preference out there. I rarely use a stock insole so I don’t care about that on any retro release.

That doesn't help the pinky toe issue that exists now. And a thicker insole is just going to make that worse.

That doesn't help the pinky toe issue that exists now. And a thicker insole is just going to make that worse.
Doesn’t have to be a thicker insole at all. There’s plenty of aftermarket insoles as thin or thinner than a stock one with way better shock absorption. The width issue is a different design problem altogether across models.

Was gonna say these new ones are pretty much spot on from how I remember the originals looking back in the day. Obviously the mind can play tricks, but most of what you’re seeing as a difference is due to aging.

Quick correction, the midsoles are polyurethane not phylon. They changed the type of polyurethane from an open-cell type to a closed-cell type around 2006. Since then, the midsoles last longer before they crumble and the don’t yellow like they used to, but they are also MUCH firmer and heavier. There was also a time when we had a paint cracking issue.

Just for reference, the 2020 recraft AMIII/90 use a polyurethane that feels like what Jordans used to use if anyone is curious about how those Jordan’s felt cushioning wise.
Appreciate the correction. I knew the old material started with a P.

Thanks for the info on the AM90 recraft. Didn’t know they went back and used a polyurethane midsole. No wonder they’re as comfortable as they are!!

Both pics of OG and current with no aging……both are of new release at their own time…

That pic of the OG pair doesn't prove anything to me about what the color actually looked like when new. Not saying I know it's wrong, because it's been 30 years. But the lighting/saturation on that pic is awful. Hell, I have shoes now that if I take a pic with my iPhone, the way they look in the pic is not what they actually look like. The original print ad for this shoe is a good example of how much impact lighting and exposure and saturation can have on something.
l4kr9870lcvb1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom