Air jordan VIII Playoffs -Sep 30th - Updated:First official look!!

It doesn't make sense the thread title for these was updated without specifying the exact release date.

2023 version
Air-Jordan-8-Playoffs-2023-305381-062-1.jpeg

1993 version
Air-Jordan-8-OG-Playoffs-2023-Release-Date-1.png
Air-Jordan-8-OG-Playoffs-2023-Release-Date.png
If only you were to have asked nicely

Bit more clear in this shot…

IMG_2433.jpeg

What’s up with the stains all over them?? Also the midsole looks to be too dark. I remember the og had a dark grey tone with a glitter like appearance. These look near jet black though.

I'm really curious about whether the panels and straps actually look 2-tone in hand. That definitely shouldn't be. I'd also like to see better pics of the midsole. I agree that it looks too dark. The OG's definitely had the sparkle/glitter effect on them, but I don't remember them being QUITE that black. I'll have to dig my pair out and look.

I'm really curious about whether the panels and straps actually look 2-tone in hand. That definitely shouldn't be. I'd also like to see better pics of the midsole. I agree that it looks too dark. The OG's definitely had the sparkle/glitter effect on them, but I don't remember them being QUITE that black. I'll have to dig my pair out and look.

I’m just writing it off as being a truly aweful pic at this point…Now that the shoes are out there I’m sure some better shots shouldn’t be too far behind…

I just hope they didn't pull a Charcoal 9 and make the panels that suede/hairy nubuck instead of textured.

Almost looks like what they did with the “Suns” 8’s that came out in 2013 or 2014…The strap panels had the normal nubuck they use but the other portions used an oiled type of nubuck…

You can see it in these pics…
IMG_2438.jpeg
IMG_2439.jpeg

If they wanted to differentiate the panels then they should’ve brought back the cracking type of texture like the OG’s and first retros had :rolleyes

Still super hard to tell from that trash pic though…

I had most of the actual ogs growing up and couldn’t notice or remember any of these details like that. These are good.

only thing test bothers me is when they make a drastic change like making a nubuck shoe leather

I had the og in 1993 and could have sworn it was like a gun metal grey color. But that was eons ago, so my memory could very well be fuzzy.
I don’t think it’s your memory pics seem to be inconsistent with how they look/looked. This is also a pic of the og’s and they kind of differ from some of the pics posted in here…I never had the og so I can’t really attest
EE93FF1C-B73A-48D6-A9F0-5D1C61B783C9.jpeg

OG’s were full durabuck on the upper but the toe panels and the portions under the straps had a slight cracking type of texture…It was the same material though…

As for the midsole paint…Memory wants to tell me that the “grey” parts were slightly darker than what both the previous retros had…Glitter was definitely there though…It’s been forever since I had an OG pair in hand though…

I really wish I’d kept my OG’s along with my Aqua’s but I ended up giving them away to my nephew after I’d grown out of them 🤷‍♂️…I’m doubling up on these though…

OG’s were full durabuck on the upper but the toe panels and the portions under the straps had a slight cracking type of texture…It was the same material though…

As for the midsole paint…Memory wants to tell me that the “grey” parts were slightly darker than what both the previous retros had…Glitter was definitely there though…It’s been forever since I had an OG pair in hand though…

I really wish I’d kept my OG’s along with my Aqua’s but I ended up giving them away to my nephew after I’d grown out of them 🤷‍♂️…I’m doubling up on these though…
Yea that’s how I remember them as well. The charcoal 9 had that cracked pattern on the durabuck as well.

Did the og Aqua have that as well? I only had the playoffs so I can recall the Aquas too good.

Yea that’s how I remember them as well. The charcoal 9 had that cracked pattern on the durabuck as well.

Did the og Aqua have that as well? I only had the playoffs so I can recall the Aquas too good.

No the Aqua’s didn’t have the cracking texture…Plus they used suede for the grey portion on the heel…

Aqua’s used a durabuck / suede combo, the Bug’s pair used leather / suede, the Playoffs used all durabuck which was offset by the cracking texture…Just more of the unique differences between colorways for the model…Stuff like that is what really makes the 8’s one of my favorite Jordan models…

IMG_1899.jpeg

Here is one more pic of my 1993 originals and to chime in on the midsole…. The originals were super subtly a slightly less than black sparkle paint in areas… and deep satin/flat black in the others. I would refer to it as a gunmetal gray personally.

None of the subsequent retros nailed this detail either, with gray shades that were way too light in hue to allow the eye to divulge the brilliant subtleties at hand.

IMG_1899.jpeg

Here is one more pic of my 1993 originals and to chime in on the midsole…. The originals were super subtly a slightly less than black sparkle paint in areas… and deep satin/flat black in the others. I would refer to it as a gunmetal gray personally.

None of the subsequent retros nailed this detail either, with gray shades that were way too light in hue to allow the eye to divulge the brilliant subtleties at hand.
Yes! This is exactly how I remember them.

Back
Top Bottom