Air jordan VIII Playoffs -Sep 30th - Updated:First official look!!

That’s not really true in my case. I purchased one pair in 2019-2020 and continued buying other brands. I skipped the L&F’s cause I have 15 Chicagos that I prefer. BC4 leather crap is an easy pass.

Maybe I’ll buy a Jordan again but when you’ve got 160 or 170 pairs the idea of needing to continue to mainline subpar crack is laughable. And truth be told there’s a lot of other great models from companies like NB, ASICS, Saucony that I find fashionable and usually more comfortable.

We don’t have to continue to eat JB’s **** every week, especially when they’re putting out 3 OG colorways a year.
It’s 100% true. You’re here. In this thread. For a shoe that released 9/30/2023. With your sights set on a future JB shoe. You’ll never stop supporting the brand.

It’s 100% true. You’re here. In this thread. For a shoe that released 9/30/2023. With your sights set on a future JB shoe. You’ll never stop supporting the brand.
I don’t think it’s your place to tell me how I’ll spend my money or what I’ll support in the future. I’m on NT because I love shoes. Discussed shoes and releases I haven’t gone for. That doesn’t mean I have to give JB more money in the future when I have almost every OG colorway currently. These and Cherry’s were old shoes I wanted to replace and honestly if the Cherry’s go like this it will be even easier to shift my focus to other brands next year.

JB loves the attitude though, that we’re all hostages who can never escape. The hopeless mentality is why things have only got worse for the consumer despite the brand doing better than they ever dreamed possible.

IMG_0414.jpeg
Walked my local mall, was able to secure at a JD sports I didn’t even know was in there.

It makes me wonder if they are turning the tide on availability for the MJ worn retro. The playoff 13 were sitting hard and that has to be the last thing they want. It would suck, but would not surprise me at all. Nobody at all thought this shoe was gonna be a hard grab.

It makes me wonder if they are turning the tide on availability for the MJ worn retro. The playoff 13 were sitting hard and that has to be the last thing they want. It would suck, but would not surprise me at all. Nobody at all thought this shoe was gonna be a hard grab.

Very interesting take my man.

Part of me agrees with this and part of me feels like just like any other business they care about numbers moved only.

Part of me agrees with this and part of me feels like just like any other business they care about numbers moved only.
I think it’s both. They’re done selling nostalgia. Feels like pulling teeth outside of the annual reimagined BS.

They’re pushing non-OG colorways cause they see it as the future of the business. Corny teenagers who don’t know anything about MJ buying “their” colorways.

I just happen to think it’s a terrible business strategy and disrespectful af to the consumers who built the brand, but they don’t see growth potential in us.

Seems to me it’s a combination of higher than expected demand and slightly less supply compared to something like playoff 12/13. That’s just judging by this thread and how many people seem to be after these.

The actual SNKRS release was obviously the “shock drop” that everyone knew about days before. I think if you were relying on SNKRS this morning you were probably disappointed.

I think it's both of these. I believe Nike knows that they can't just rely on nostalgia alone to push OG colorways into mainstream hype. Time is pushing on and we're getting further and further from the playing days of MJ. There's an ever increasing amount of people that didn't grow up watching [nor care enough to go online and watch] the Bulls play from the days of MJ dropping 63 on Bird's Celtics in '86 to his 'Last Shot' over Bryon Russell in '98. The significance of all of this is lost on many of the consumers who buy Air Jordans, or more specifically, the younger crowd. It's why they chose to drum up hype by shooting long term brand supporters in the foot with releases like this. These should have been everywhere in large quantities like the '15 Aqua 8s so that everyone who truly wanted these could get them.

But, due to the fact that many OG colorways haven't been selling out as quickly in recent years with some even sitting after release (e.g., '15 Aqua 8s, '16 Metallic 5s, the recent '22 Cardinal 7s, '23 Playoff 13s, etc), with this release going forward it's possible Nike may begin resorting to reducing production numbers on OG colorway releases to drum up exclusivity based hype so that profit goals are met, pairs don't sit [which they probably feel damages their brand image], and it keeps people, young ones especially, chasing their shoes because of said exclusivity. From a business point of view it makes sense, but it sucks for consumers like many in here who truly appreciate the brand, it's legacy and that of these sneakers, yet were unable to get a pair because of Nike's stupid antics.

I think it's both of these. I believe Nike knows that they can't just rely on nostalgia alone to push OG colorways into mainstream hype. Time is pushing on and we're getting further and further from the playing days of MJ. There's an ever increasing amount of people that didn't grow up watching [nor care enough to go online and watch] the Bulls play from the days of MJ dropping 63 on Bird's Celtics in '86 to his 'Last Shot' over Bryon Russell in '98. The significance of all of this is lost on many of the consumers who buy Air Jordans, or more specifically, the younger crowd. It's why they chose to drum up hype by shooting long term brand supporters in the foot with releases like this. These should have been everywhere in large quantities like the '15 Aqua 8s so that everyone who truly wanted these could get them.

But, due to the fact that many OG colorways haven't been selling out as quickly in recent years with some even sitting after release (e.g., '15 Aqua 8s, '16 Metallic 5s, the recent '22 Cardinal 7s, '23 Playoff 13s, etc), with this release going forward it's possible Nike may begin resorting to reducing production numbers on OG colorway releases to drum up exclusivity based hype so that profit goals are met, pairs don't sit [which they probably feel damages their brand image], and it keeps people, young ones especially, chasing their shoes because of said exclusivity. From a business point of view it makes sense, but it sucks for consumers like many in here who truly appreciate the brand, it's legacy and that of these sneakers, yet were unable to get a pair because of Nike's stupid antics.
Wouldn’t say it’s stupid, it’s business. Nike’s been doing this for ages. Snub you on what you want so hopefully you’ll buy into the next realease because you missed out - Aqua 6’s. It’s a trash release but Nike knows a lot of people already had money set aside for a pair of J’s and are ready to spend. A lot of casual buyers will fall for it as they always have. Nike Talk is only a very tiny sample size of the real world. The general public as a whole really doesn’t know or care what an “OG colorway” is. They just want some Jordans.

Nothing Nike is doing is geared toward nostalgia or respect. It's money and prestige. Period. I hate it , but it's just the way it is . They can say thank you all they want with the holiday 11 release, but at the end of the day. It's money 💰.

The way it’s always been and always will be. Don’t know where all these random theories are coming from.

Wouldn’t say it’s stupid, it’s business. Nike’s been doing this for ages. Snub you on what you want so hopefully you’ll buy into the next realease because you missed out - Aqua 6’s. It’s a trash release but Nike knows a lot of people already had money set aside for a pair of J’s and are ready to spend. A lot of casual buyers will fall for it as they always have. Nike Talk is only a very tiny sample size of the real world. The general public as a whole really doesn’t know or care what an “OG colorway” is. They just want some Jordans.
For sure. I know that objectively speaking it is not a stupid business model. I just called it stupid for the sake of calling it stupid. Spitting in the faces of longtime consumers who've been into these sneakers and supporting this brand since '85, is stupid. But, a more apt term for their antics would be callous. Or rather, cutthroat, as most corporate behavior always is. Whatever drives profit is and will forever be the bottom line. I get that. Just sucks that a release like this ended up being as limited as it was. Like sure, I was lucky to get a pair but it should've been a full blown NT pizza party in here.

Because it was widely thought that this release would be a cake walk . This concept is now hitting all Jordan's now.
“Widely thought” is extremely subjective. Been copping over 30 years and not once have I expected a cake walk for any pair I ever wanted. Even for the non-popular releases. You never know what the next man is thinking.

“Widely thought” is extremely subjective. Been copping over 30 years and not once have I expected a cake walk for any pair I ever wanted. Even for the non-popular releases. You never know what the next man is thinking.
30 years here as well. Cards were super easy. Along with playoff 13s. Easy to assume these would be no different. Jb changed the game on us. Demand for 8s did not.

Back
Top Bottom