Air jordan VIII Playoffs -Sep 30th - Updated:First official look!!

F8A5FA3C-7312-4868-9030-390B05228862.jpeg

Comparison 1993 to 2023 with the added white cut lines . Little tweaks to make it look a little more like the original . All in all a great retro!
Now THIS is how the lines are supposed to look. Great job! :nthat:I still need to do this for my pair, now that I think about it.

Edit: I think the only thing that keeps these from nailing the OG look is the slight contrast going on in the upper. I know it's due to Nike/Jordan Brand trying to recreate that cracked texture appearance that the OG durabuck had in '93 but if the current iteration had a black, monotone upper like the '93s, they'd be almost perfect [visually speaking] after touching up the nu-durabuck edges.

Last edited:
I was starting to regret passing on these until I saw them in store yesterday. This peach fuzz buck is not the nu or the dura that I remember. Just feels cheap to me. In fairness the only OG's I recall owning with this kind of material was the last shots so I'm no expert. Hope you enjoy your pairs but no more regrets here...

Question for my NT bros. Which deters you guys the most from copping a OG pair? Would it be the overall shape; banana look, toe box, heel/collar area, or inferior materials? It could be both... We know JB is hit n miss with most releases in terms of the areas stated.

Does it really matter? Some may cop on the sheer fact of nostalgia... For me, im grabbing and enjoying them as they release. No need to sike myself into thinking they will be better next time around...

Question for my NT bros. Which deters you guys the most from copping a OG pair? Would it be the overall shape; banana look, toe box, heel/collar area, or inferior materials? It could be both... We know JB is hit n miss with most releases in terms of the areas stated.

Does it really matter? Some may cop on the sheer fact of nostalgia... For me, im grabbing and enjoying them as they release. No need to sike myself into thinking they will be better next time around...
The retail price

Edit: I think the only thing that keeps these from nailing the OG look is the slight contrast going on in the upper. I know it's due to Nike/Jordan Brand trying to recreate that cracked texture appearance that the OG durabuck had in '93 but if the current iteration had a black, monotone upper like the '93s, they'd be almost perfect [visually speaking] after touching up the nu-durabuck edges.

Yeah it would have looked better just making the whole upper the same material on these retros.

I get what they were going for, but the contrast is too much. OG contrast was perfectly subtle.

73669490-166B-4F6B-899B-AF5B86ED255D.jpeg

If Jordan Brand won’t bring the shorts back, then i will since i make clothing

This is the only shape acceptable.. Jordan Brand missed it again... pretty sure it was intentional.. the 8's never had a slope on its toe box. It was rounded at the toe with a nice toe box. The 2023 version looks like Air max 95's. If I could find a 1993 pair in my size.. im coping and sole swapping for sure.

This is the only shape acceptable.. Jordan Brand missed it again... pretty sure it was intentional.. the 8's never had a slope on its toe box. It was rounded at the toe with a nice toe box. The 2023 version looks like Air max 95's. If I could find a 1993 pair in my size.. im coping and sole swapping for sure.
Yeah I'm not sure why they decided to flatten the slope of the toebox on this year's Playoffs. The 2015 Aqua 8s got the shape mostly correct. As for the 2023 Playoffs, it seems overall most pairs have a flat, slanted toebox but my pair, at least compared to this side profile of this particular 1993 pair, isn't too far off. At least in comparison to whatever size the '93s are. For both recent retros though, the steepness of the slope as it drops off before connecting to the midsole, isn't as pronounced but I think that's due to the height of the shoe and the tooling of the midsole/outsole.
Air-Jordan-8-OG-Aqua.jpg
20231008_140644.jpg
Screenshot_20231008_141543_Chrome.jpg
20231008_141004.jpg

Yeah I'm not sure why they decided to flatten the slope of the toebox on this year's Playoffs. The 2015 Aqua 8s got the shape mostly correct. As for the 2023 Playoffs, it seems overall most pairs have a flat, slanted toebox but my pair, at least compared to this side profile of this particular 1993 pair, isn't too far off. At least in comparison to whatever size the '93s are. For both recent retros though, the steepness of the slope as it drops off before connecting to the midsole, isn't as pronounced but I think that's due to the height of the shoe and the tooling of the midsole/outsole.
Air-Jordan-8-OG-Aqua.jpg
20231008_140644.jpg
Screenshot_20231008_141543_Chrome.jpg
20231008_141004.jpg
They look good to me

Funny how this toe shape is what is wanted for every other Jordan model, but the one shoe it wasnt on they give it to 🤣. Nike always finds a way to Nike. I do like how the the retro looks compared to the og.

I could live with the toe box, but wtf about the heel man.. its supposed to contour in from the back and recline from the front.. The SHAPE NIKE.. come on.. Why don't their Spies that are in this forum just take notes from us prior to retool / tooling the model before its retroed. Its FREE R&D. Instead they let these moron yuppies call the shots.

1696792062184.png

I could live with the toe box, but wtf about the heel man.. its supposed to contour in from the back and recline from the front.. The SHAPE NIKE.. come on.. Why don't their Spies that are in this forum just take notes from us prior to retool / tooling the model before its retroed. Its FREE R&D. Instead they let these moron yuppies call the shots.

1696792062184.png
I get you. The heel stands at an almost 90° angle on the current retro which also messes up the overall shape of the shoe.

Y’all been complaining for years about bulky toe boxes and now they’re too slim 🤣
The problem is they slimmed down the tip of the toe but the rest of the shoe is still like a boot.

If you look closely at an OG 8 for example, the shoe slopes down to about the first lace and the toe is almost flat from the first lace to the top of the toe. Look at the pair that just released and see how much sloping is still there across the toe from the first lace to the top of the toe.

Some of the OG 6-8 appear to have a bulky toe only because the shoe had sloped down so far that they had to leave room for toes :lol:

When I get home I’ll try I to find some pics to demonstrate what I’m talking about.

The problem is they slimmed down the tip of the toe but the rest of the shoe is still like a boot.

If you look closely at an OG 8 for example, the shoe slopes down to about the first lace and the toe is almost flat from the first lace to the top of the toe. Look at the pair that just released and see how much sloping is still there across the toe from the first lace to the top of the toe.

Some of the OG 6-8 appear to have a bulky toe only because the shoe had sloped down so far that they had to leave room for toes :lol:

When I get home I’ll try I to find some pics to demonstrate what I’m talking about.
Please do

No matter what.. we will always come off as complaining.. we just want NIKE to get it right bro..

For me it’s the materials, I still cop pairs cause i want em in general but I be bummed out about material differences and color changes….ex: chambray 7s, burgundy 5s, cool grey 3s

Please do
IMG_9946.jpeg

It rough, but I outlined here how the OG has a steeper slope that ends at the toe and flattens off, whereas the new pair has a gradual slope all the way to the tip of the toe. You can see the entire toe area is sleeker on the OG, the retro is only sleek at the tip of the toe.

So to my original point, all they did was flatten the toe as opposed to trimming down the body of the shoe.

Personally I think the slope looks better than the OG. Probably won’t be a popular opinion, but I just believe if the slope originally released like this it would be preferred over the steeper angle of the OGs. It’s a better look.

Not saying the entire shoe is as good as the OG but that change is a rare improvement and actually demonstrates some design consistency and listening to feedback.

Personally I think the slope looks better than the OG. Probably won’t be a popular opinion, but I just believe if the slope originally released like this it would be preferred over the steeper angle of the OGs. It’s a better look.

Not saying the entire shoe is as good as the OG but that change is a rare improvement and actually demonstrates some design consistency and listening to feedback.
I must disagree. It’s not just about how the shoe looks, but how it wears. And having personally worn the OG models, I prefer them fitting like athletic shoes instead of boots like they do know 🤷🏾‍♂️

I must disagree. It’s not just about how the shoe looks, but how it wears. And having personally worn the OG models, I prefer them fitting like athletic shoes instead of boots like they do know 🤷🏾‍♂️
I might agree if they were using soft midsoles. But if you’re going to get a hard midsole with less bounce to it, I’d rather have a more gradual slope. These are all lifestyle shoes at the end of the day now.

Back
Top Bottom