Air Penny 2 RD & Pics: 9/27/08 White/Royal/Black, 11/08, & 01/09

pennys are selling pretty well in sf/bay area. got a chance to cop on a restock but they're selling pretty well. the pips on the other hand are CHILLIN onthe shelves for now

blah!

Yea I'm sure they're doing good in NYC but going back to my original point; you don't see them that much on the streets lol .

When i first wore them, (2 weeks before Footlocker released them) I had people in their 20's and early 30's asking about them.
laugh.gif

I believe if Nike decided to release them back in 2001 or 2002, more pairs would have probably been seen on the streets of NYC. Mainly because the majority ofthose that grew up in the hype of the nike penny era were in high school/ college. But now in 2008, the majority are either in their last years of college orworking.

KingJay 718 and other NYC NT'ers, yall know how the domino effect works when it comes to style in the street. Once kids see that style is what's hot,they jump on bandwagon. and then their friends jump on the bandwagon and so on. They're jumping on the bandwagon but then they have no idea why its hot
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

In a way, this why you don't see penny's on the street of NYC that much. Not that I'm saying that penny's are not hot (of course they'rehot!) But with the kids, they don't know about the hype of being around in 1996. Among us the adults, we know how popular they were in '96. Like Istated already, the majority are either in their last years of college or working and they rarely have time to wear them.

I hope that makes sense

I picked up a white pair on ebay with the live.com 30% cashback. They were 149 shipped, and I was getting 45 bucks back. Not bad for 104 dollars.
smile.gif

I hear you pr0phecy but I higly doubt these are sellin like that in nyc due to the fact they are all over in heavy quantities...every place I been have afsr...not to mention most heads jump on this during the F&F the wekend they drop(I kno I did)....probably most of the dudes that have copped are on nt orage 25 and up....at the end of the day I still think jb has a chokehold on nyc youths...and it won't relinquish it....like I said I'm notcomplaining....please drop more kicks from the early and mid 90's....btw haven't seen the wht joints in the streets yet...

Sylvester and Prophecy speak the truth.

I hope Jordan Brand/VANS keeps the attention of their audience.

I rarely visit the Jordan Brand forum nowadays, and I rarely cop Jordan Brand products (except OG retro colorways).

Yea I use to be in jb forum quite a bit back in the days when I use to post under my boys name from time to time....as time has passed...I rarely go there onlyto check on certain og cw releases...but jb knows they have built a legacy based on mj's name and legacy so they can put out trash from here to kingdomcome and still sell like hot cakes...this is the same reason why the penny iii's won't sell at all next yr

Originally Posted by sneakermane

THAT SCOTTIE PIPPEN COMMERCIAL IS...
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by KingJay718

Thank you sneakermane for being Lou Gehrig to my Babe Ruth with that post bro. Dead on about the commercials. I used to get amped in the fall anticipating what sneakers and sneaker commercials are on tap.

On a sidenote, how many Baltimore Orioles lids you own? You seemingly have every hue imaginable fam.

Prophecy good looks on those. I needed those for my favorites list my dude.

I'm up to 32 O's fitteds & counting...

It's the sign of the times...and these companies act like their lost. If your trying to sell a product or service, you must promote it. Who would have went and saw Quarantine this weekend if you didn't see the commercial for it? Those 2009 Nissan Maximas look REAL GOOD...especially on TV. Makes you wanna buy one, don't it? Sneakers are no exception to the rule...companies need to promote their @#$%...but they don't do that anymore. They don't endorse the athlete's that wear their own products?!

But cause shoe companies are so #@@ backwards, they don't promote their product. Chris Paul was almost MVP...but I couldn't tell you what a CP-3 looks like if you held me at gunpoint.
smh.gif
And that's why no matter how dope a retro is...they don't sell out anymore. Cause only cats on NT like myself and a few others really know & long for certain shoes. But the masses don't care about a Penny. They walk in the store...look at the Penny 2...say "yo, that's um...Penny what's his face shoe, right?" And keep right on moving.
frown.gif

There is NO WAY a dope shoe retroed ACCURATELY like the Penny 2s, Penny 1s, Air Tech Challenge 2s to name a few...should be just sitting on shelves collecting dust...getting marked down or waiting for such. But if your not Lebron James...shoe companies be penny pinching. I'ma leave ya'll with one of my all time favs...back when companies actually promoted NBA stars.
Besides the fact that the "fun-o-meter" of life since that era has been decimated tremendously, I don't think companies promote theplayers like they used to for several reasons. The main one is that I don't think that they feel they have to anymore. Tried & truly, their out tomaximize profits as much as possible and those are just advertising dollars being wasted. I think there are enough mediums out there to get the targetedconsumer familiar with products nowadays, often times months before the product releases. Secondly, I don't think NBA stars, or sports stars in general,carry the same weight that they did in years past...but I could be totally off on this one. Times just change, I guess.

LJ!!! Good looks. That was my dude when he became a Knick. I remember the summer of 1996, when we traded Anthony Mason for him. I was amped. It's rare forany superstar NBA to willingly and honestly reduce his role on his own like LJ did. That dude was truly about the team.

Sylvester, you were Dirty Nasty Classy and Gizmo McHolla among other nefarious usernames right?

LJ!!! Good looks. That was my dude when he became a Knick. I remember the summer of 1996, when we traded Anthony Mason for him. I was amped. It's rare forany superstar NBA to willingly and honestly reduce his role on his own like LJ did. That dude was truly about the team.

Sylvester, you were Dirty Nasty Classy and Gizmo McHolla among other nefarious usernames right?

Originally Posted by instant klassic

screw a pair of six rings, they're not even a real jordan. all these young'ns fakin the funk thinkin they fresh in a non-numbered jordan...bleep atta here!

i haven't bought a pair of nikes since the cb34's and when i walked in to footlocker and held the penny 2s in my hand, it felt like angels started singing and light came out of nowhere shining down with a heavenly glow. damn it brought back great memories and best believe i'm getting a pair. had the white/white's when i was a kid and i was just surprised there were that many pairs on display and no one checking them out. whatever, more for me. i usually hate matching but i'll try my best to find an original starter snap-back orlando magic hat to go with these.

big ups to all the older members droppin gems in the last few pages. you guys pretty much took the words out of my mouth on why this shoe and that era of basketball was so awesome.

might not be the oldest member on here but i def know how you feel. havent bought a pair of shoes that brought me back to my childhood in a while. (going totarget with my grandma wearing non-matching penny IIs
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
) these shoes taught me at a young age about retail therapy when my parents were gettingdivorced.

Secondly, I don't think NBA stars, or sports stars in general, carry the same weight that they did in years past

That's a STRONG point you just made. 90's NBA players were sooo much better. Exclude Duncan, Garnett, & Kobe cause they actually played in the90's...and take away Lebron...and talent wise it's not even a comparison. I'd be hesitant to promote alot of these NBA players nowadays too. Thisexplains why Steve Nash has two MVPs with his adequate numbers...but point guards like Kevin Johnson & John Stockton were never even in the equation for aMVP. Who would you like to run YOUR team...Nash or Stockton?

Go Figure...
smh.gif

HOLLA!!!

KingJay I use to post under Giz every once in a while....Dirty Nasty Classy I never used...it was banned well before Giz put me onto NT...The other names Inever used cuz I decided to create my own.....but Giz is alive and well and has been here and there....Holla at me...uhhhh.....Smash....I may have to cop theEwings as well....look clean..I think what we should do is every week make a thread of all the shoes from OUR childhoods that we wanna see retroed...hell if itworked for the griff's and penny's then maybe we can get it done for other kicks...also does nike plan on making more cw's for the penny II'spast the blk/red cw?

ill cop my second pair down the line i love these alot, and nike dropped the ball not dropping these
penny2_wht_blue.jpg
the atlantics are by far the best color i still dont know why i sold these over ayear ago and they were krispy and wearable.

I have to say the Penny 2's are fire, And I hope that they sit on shelves that means more for me at cheaper prices so no complaints. Wearing them now andthe comfort and the look is fire.

Back
Top Bottom