AJ XXX (30)

Nah, the fencing inspired Jordan's were the absolute worst. In talking about all shoes in general. I believe they were the 24's or 2009's or whatever.

There's way too many variables to conclude that a given shoe has any impact on someone's body, let alone career.  I'm still disappointed that the XX9 has no air unit (max or zoom) in the heel.  The first Jordan sig shoe in 29 years without some kind of air unit in the heel?  Would love to ask Tinker why.  I can't imagine it was to save costs.  Does he really believe that performance is better with no air unit in the sole?

Last edited:
What if they use another cushioning system and drop the "Air" from the name, so it'd become Jordan XXX? Would you like it or get mad?

There's way too many variables to conclude that a given shoe has any impact on someone's body, let along career.  I'm still disappointed that the XX9 has no air unit (max or zoom) in the heel.  The first Jordan sig shoe in 29 years without some kind of air unit in the heel?  Would love to ask Tinker why.  I can't imagine it was to save costs.  Does he really believe that performance is better with no air unit in the sole?

The XX9 didn't need heel air at all. Unless you are a big man, 4 or 5, you should play on the balls fo your feet anyways so heel air shouldn't matter. To me the XX8 is still better than the XX9. Even though I love how quick I can get the XX9 on and off vs the XX8.

The XX9 didn't need heel air at all. Unless you are a big man, 4 or 5, you should play on the balls fo your feet anyways so heel air shouldn't matter. To me the XX8 is still better than the XX9. Even though I love how quick I can get the XX9 on and off vs the XX8.
Still more comfortable for running down the court, no?  Removing it certainly doesn't "add" to performance.....no?

There's way too many variables to conclude that a given shoe has any impact on someone's body, let along career.

Not really when you consider the consequences of altering your foot strike to accommodate comfort. Its no different than increasing the risk of a knee injury while coming down on someone's foot when wearing an ankle brace. Your ankle cant give so the next thing in line is your knee. If you put something unstable between you and the floor and your foot doesnt strike the ground solidly, your knee is constantly shifting around because of the give of the cushion never letting you touch solid ground. So at the cost of your knee you get to save your feet. Its not worth it. Over time our bodies got accustomed to the soft cushioning and our feet become more uncomfortable on hard soles making the switch back unbearable. I believe Zoom Air is far too soft and crosses the threshold of whats safe to play a sport like basketball on. Your foot never makes solid contact with the ground, your knee constantly shifts around as a result and your tendons become inflamed from the over load of stress having to stabilize your knee.

Last edited:

There's way too many variables to conclude that a given shoe has any impact on someone's body, let along career.

Not really when you consider the consequences of altering your foot strike to accommodate comfort. Its no different than increasing the risk of a knee injury while coming down on someone's foot when wearing an ankle brace. Your ankle cant give so the next thing in line is your knee. If you put something unstable between you and the floor and your foot doesnt strike the ground solidly, your knee is constantly shifting around because of the give of the cushion never letting you touch solid ground. So at the cost of your knee you get to save your feet. Its not worth it. Over time our bodies got accustomed to the soft cushioning and our feet become more uncomfortable on hard soles making the switch back unbearable. I believe Zoom Air is far too soft and crosses the threshold of whats safe to play a sport like basketball on. Your foot never makes solid contact with the ground, your knee constantly shifts around as a result and your tendons become inflamed from the over load of stress having to stabilize your knee.
Good points.  So go back to max air with the appropriate PSI.

What if they use another cushioning system and drop the "Air" from the name, so it'd become Jordan XXX? Would you like it or get mad?
There's still air in the forefoot, so it's still Air Jordan regardless.  And yes, taking all air out of Air Jordan's would represent a tragic blow to the brand, and a huge blow to Nike Air, given the historical influence the Air Jordan line had on Nike Air.  If they can't make a high performance basketball shoe (one that virtually started it all....JB and NA in general) with air units in it (any type), what's that saying about the technology?  Most runners say that real runners don't wear AM360, which is supposed to be the ultimate running shoe.  So now if the highest performing basketball line of shoes doesn't use air units....hmm....makes you wonder.....

At least the XX9 has the unlocked zoom in the forefoot, so they can preserve the "Air" Jordan legacy.  I like the look of the KD caged zoom air...maybe that could work?  Haven't ever tried them on though, so can't speak with any experience/authority on comfort or performance.  Would still love for Tinker to explain why visible air virtually disappeared after the 6 in the JB signature line.  Stability?  Durability?  

Good points.  So go back to max air with the appropriate PSI.

AirMax Jordan xxx? I can dig it. Its been a long time coming.
There you go, Jordan XXX with visible air max as a throwback to some of the brand's most popular models in its history (3, 4, 5, 6)!  For me, I mildly enjoyed the bordeaux 7 b/c of the comfort of the huarache liner; didn't much care for the clunky 8, and stopped buying Jordan's for the next 23 years thereafter (wish I hadn't donated my Aqua 8s in 2008 though!)...Like someone already said, bring back some un-built sketch from the 3-4-5-6 era with modern materials/tech for the XXX!

Last edited:
It's not the shoe tech, if u run or jump at all you're going to aggrevate your patellar tendon

Your patella bounces around non stop while u run and jump so if theres nothing helping it stay in place other than you're own anatomy, its going to irritate your tendon

Heel striking makes the situation much worse, but having a cushion that dissipates energy will not make it worse

Whether or not gel, foam, or air bags are more beneficial is probably a better argument than saying heel striking on zoom gives you tendinitis

you sound familiar. have you been on niketalk before?

^^ they'll charge a premium regardless it's JB lol.

But would like to see a mid or a low that's both performance and aesthetically pleasing, no shrouds zippers or any other off the wall ideas they've been coming up with for yrs now.
I must be getting nostalgic for the 'good old days'.  But the pricing for what you get on standard sig models already seems like a premium to me.

Agreed on the gimmicks too.

XX3s were the last sig.line pair that was appealing to me. So I really dont have high hopes for the 30s.

I'm sure the 30 will be an excellent on-court shoe, as far as performance, but the last Jordan model that looked good to me was the xx3.

I'm expecting an aesthetically pleasing design from Tinker for these. Come on, please.

I'm expecting marketing will tell Tinker to act as though a shoe he had little to do with was mostly his work.

I'm expecting marketing will tell Tinker to act as though a shoe he had little to do with was mostly his work.

Basically what Tinker does now is he creates a sketch of what he wants the new AJ to look like, then he passes it off to the JB team so they can bring it to life.

I know for sure this is what he did with the 2012 and XX8. And also the XVI- read "Driven From Within", he says so in the book.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom